Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Beginners question about video settings

I am tring to take a video in the house and as soon as I start recording the video looks so dark.. There is lots of light in the house but on the video it is very dark.. video is perfect if i take it outside.. Can somebody please help me and tell me what i need to do/
Just so you know, i have very little experience with this camera so if you can help me with lots of details i would really appreciate it!!! Thank you!!!!!!

05-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the aperture control set to fixed or auto? If it is on fixed, you can either adjust aperture yourself with the wheel or set it to auto via the menu. (Assuming you are using a K-x)
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If there are red numbers for the aperture, open up the aperture more. If they are white, use exposure compensation.

If you can't open it up more, you need a faster lens.
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I would ask similarly: what camera? what lens? what settings?

Indoor, your need often to use a large aperture or high ISO to compensate for the lack of lights. Your eyes may think that the house is bright but the human eye is much more sensitive than any camera sensor.

05-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with above comments.

Also I have read quite a number of posts (and in a couple of reviews) that say the K-x is on auto ISO on in video mode but limits maximum sensitivity (ISO setting) to a lower setting than is available with still images. Worth searching on - there have been a few tests done although have not tried much low light shooting myself yet. There is probably a good technical reason (possibly to do with video frame rate versus noise reduction time?) for this but I'm not sure what the limit is.
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok.. Stupid question.. How do i check what my aperture is? Yes, I am using K-x camera and lense is 18-55mm. Thank you so much!!! Just starting with photography, and like to take videos of my kids Thanks you@
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you have it set to Fixed Aperture Control, it will appear in the lower left of your screen as something like F4.0. You can use the wheel to open the aperture up (set it to a smaller number). However, for now, I would use Auto Aperture Control:

1) Put your K-x in Movie Mode
2) Press the Menu button
3) Scroll down to Movie and scroll right
4) Scroll down to Movie Aperture Control and scroll right
5) Choose Auto

When in Auto Aperture Control, the aperture does not show on the screen.

05-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you so much!!! It worked... SO excited.. thanks everybody!!!
05-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad it worked. Keep playing with your K-x; that's how you learn!