Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any thoughts on the Raynox DCR 250

For those that use this Lens for Macro I was wondering if I can get your thoughts on these?

05-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I use one. Mostly DAL 55-300 lense. Finding surprisingly good results.

Some very good examples of images in:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74221-raynox-macro-club.html
05-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and some interesting shots on that link. Would it also work with the Sigma 105mm macro or do they only work with a zoom lens?
05-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Would it also work with the Sigma 105mm macro or do they only work with a zoom lens?
The Raynox works well with primes. I use it with my Vivitar 135mm close focusing lens (can do 1:2 just by itself) and with my Tamron 90mm macro (can do 1:1 just by itself).

I believe the combo of Sigma 105mm macro + Raynox 250 can do at least 2:1.

Here's 1:2 by the Vivitar itself:

Here's the Vivitar + Raynox 250, I'd say it's 1.5:1:

Here's 1:1 (Sigma 50mm macro) for comparison:

Last edited by SOldBear; 05-03-2010 at 11:59 PM.
05-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, that sounds as if it's worth my buying it. Thanks.
05-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
For those that use this Lens for Macro I was wondering if I can get your thoughts on these?
Hi have had both and used both on the 18-55
the answer depends on what you want to achieve. The 250 requires a tripod at all times and has a very very small Depth of field an gives amazing close ups of insects and in my opinion is to much for flowers unless you are a botanist.
excellent for insects BUT I found you rarely get the sort of huge insect eye photos you see posted.
The on 150 on the other hand can be used hand held in some circumstances is brilliant for flowers and will show insects up well but not in huge detail but better than you have probably seen before.
on both I used the clip on attachment on the 55dia lens and on a 49mm dia 50mm prime I use a step down.
as long as the lens dia is smaller than the Raynox then you you don't get the dark corner [ vignette] effect.
I sold the 250 as I rarely used it and it required a specific plan of action to use it and thats not the way I work.
buy a 150 first and use it. after all you you can crop and enlarge if your images are sharp and you get a better D.O.F. to work with.
Alistair
05-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't have a macro lense but I'm sure a macro lense would be "faster" (lightwise and probably timewise setting up the shot).

So far I have not used a tripod with my Raynox but usually brace camera / lense against something firm to get it steady enough. The K-x with its good high ISO quality certainly helps.

05-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How does it compares to simply reverse mounted prime?

Something like 55/1.8. Prime has enough speed for acceptable to no vignetting, good, coated and corrected optics etc.
Except that this is easier to use what other advantages the adapter has, to justify it's price? Looks like simple coated doublet/triplet, that might exhibit chromatic and spherical aberrations. And good m42 primes are a lot cheaper.

Or does it have a special optical formula, that works well at close distances?

I was too lazy to use flash..sorry for the shake in 200mm shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Last edited by ytterbium; 05-04-2010 at 08:16 AM.
05-04-2010, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Hi have had both and used both on the 18-55
the answer depends on what you want to achieve. The 250 requires a tripod at all times and has a very very small Depth of field an gives amazing close ups of insects and in my opinion is to much for flowers unless you are a botanist.
excellent for insects BUT I found you rarely get the sort of huge insect eye photos you see posted.
It depends on the focal length of the lens it's mounted on. You can get about 3:1 macro with Raynox 250 on a 300mm lens.

QuoteQuote:
The on 150 on the other hand can be used hand held in some circumstances is brilliant for flowers and will show insects up well but not in huge detail but better than you have probably seen before.
Again, depends on the focal length. I get extreme bug closeups with the 150 on a 300mm lens, or on my 100mm macro:

55-300mm & Raynox 150:

QuoteQuote:
as long as the lens dia is smaller than the Raynox then you you don't get the dark corner [ vignette] effect.
That's not what I've found. The Raynox 250 shows serious vignetting at less than infinity focus on the 49 mm diameter DA 40mm Ltd, and does not vignette on the 67 mm dia 16-45mm.

QuoteQuote:
I sold the 250 as I rarely used it and it required a specific plan of action to use it and thats not the way I work.
buy a 150 first and use it. after all you you can crop and enlarge if your images are sharp and you get a better D.O.F. to work with.
Alistair
I'm wondering from what you're saying here if you tried the 250 at infinity focus? It's not hard to handle on a shorter FL lens if you don't try to magnify to its utmost every time. I agree that the 150 is easier to work with, but I like the Raynox 250 on lenses from about 100mm and less, and the 150 for longer lenses.
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Except that this is easier to use what other advantages the adapter has, to justify it's price?
Except that it's easier to use? No other advantage really - but I'd consider that well worth the $40.

QuoteQuote:
And good m42 primes are a lot cheaper.
Hard to be a "lot" cheaper than $40. Especially when you consider you also need the reverse adapter - or you make it even harder to use.

Since as far as I can see, no one else has mentioned this, do check out the Raynox Club thread in the Lens forum for tons of excellent examples and further discussion of this lens.
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys, I've gone ahead and ordered one because I don't feel $129.00 is a King's Ransom and one way or another I'll get my $129.00 worth of use out of it.
04-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #12
Forum Member

I am seriously thinking about buying this lens

However, I am curious about how it goes on the camera, I do not know, is it pretty universal to Pentax lenses to go on the end or does it go on the camera part?
Thanks in advanced
04-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgirl57 Quote
I am seriously thinking about buying this lens

However, I am curious about how it goes on the camera, I do not know, is it pretty universal to Pentax lenses to go on the end or does it go on the camera part?
Thanks in advanced
Always on the end of a lens, never on the camera.

Raynox DCR-250 and 150 diopters come with an adapter attachment that clips onto the end of any lens with a 52-67mm filter diameter. For diameters outside that range, you can unscrew the diopter element from the adapter and screw it into a step-up or step-down ring.

What lens(es) are you intending to use the Raynox with?
04-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #14
Forum Member

I wish to use it for two of my Pentax Lenses One is a 35-135 which is my walk around, then I have a 70-200 which I want to use it for with my birding

---------- Post added 04-17-15 at 08:33 AM ----------

Good to know thank you, and I will be planning on the 150 instead of the 250 beacuse I think the 150 will give me what I need without having to scare away my creepy crawly creatures
04-17-2015, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgirl57 Quote
I wish to use it for two of my Pentax Lenses One is a 35-135 which is my walk around, then I have a 70-200 which I want to use it for with my birding

---------- Post added 04-17-15 at 08:33 AM ----------

Good to know thank you, and I will be planning on the 150 instead of the 250 beacuse I think the 150 will give me what I need without having to scare away my creepy crawly creatures
I definitely agree. The DCR-150 is the better choice due to sufficient magnification and longer working distances.

I'm not sure what you mean about birding though. A Raynox adapter only allows you to focus at distances of tens of centimeters.