Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

The software that came with my k-x :"Digital Camera Utility 4". What is it?

The software that came with my k-x :"Digital Camera Utility 4". What is it? Is it just another photo-editing program, or is it something with specific functions required to operate the k-x?
Or may I as well use a regular program. I'm a beginner and not an advanced photographer... So far I've liked to use Faststone Image Viewer....

05-04-2010, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Let me google that for you
05-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

cool

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
that was so cool
05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
that was so cool
No, it wasn't cool.

05-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Esp1Holm Quote
The software that came with my k-x :"Digital Camera Utility 4". What is it? Is it just another photo-editing program, or is it something with specific functions required to operate the k-x?
Or may I as well use a regular program. I'm a beginner and not an advanced photographer... So far I've liked to use Faststone Image Viewer....
The software is basically image editing software. With some camera models (perhaps all?) it lets you shoot tethered to a computer. You do not need to even load the software onto your computer if you don't want to. Faststone is an excellent viewer and reasonably good editor. There are other very good free editors as well. Raw Therapee and Paint.net are two that come to mind.
05-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TEACH ME HOW!!!!!!!!!!

(PM please?)
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #7

hah, that google thing gets sooo overused....
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
hah, that google thing gets sooo overused....
There are still some suckers out there for it--like me.

Never saw that before.

05-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The software is basically image editing software.
From the bazillion posts I've read, most people believe that the free Pentax software by Silkypix does the best raw conversion. This was my (limited) personal experience as well, having tried Lightroom, CS3 and Picasa.

The other great thing about Pentax software is that it shows you every setting on the camera, and highlights any changed parameters in the next shot. This is an invaluable feature for someone who's learning digital photography.

Unfortunately I'm having lots of trouble with DCR4. It frequently chokes on K-x files. No problem with K20D files, it just doesn't like the camera it came with. I had a bit of trouble with the older Pentax software, but nothing like this.
05-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
From the bazillion posts I've read, most people believe that the free Pentax software by Silkypix does the best raw conversion. This was my (limited) personal experience as well, having tried Lightroom, CS3 and Picasa.

The other great thing about Pentax software is that it shows you every setting on the camera, and highlights any changed parameters in the next shot. This is an invaluable feature for someone who's learning digital photography.

Unfortunately I'm having lots of trouble with DCR4. It frequently chokes on K-x files. No problem with K20D files, it just doesn't like the camera it came with. I had a bit of trouble with the older Pentax software, but nothing like this.
Yes, just as I said, basically it is image editing software. I didn't say it wasn't good, but I was making the point to the OP that it isn't something that is required to be installed to make the camera usable.
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, just as I said, basically it is image editing software. I didn't say it wasn't good, but I was making the point to the OP that it isn't something that is required to be installed to make the camera usable.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just presenting my opinion. I think it's such a worthwhile program, that I will keep it even if/when I find editing software that I like. So far I've tried Silkypix Pro, Elements, Lightroom, and CS3 and didn't like any of the operating interfaces. I'm going to try Paint Shop next.
05-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hehe, sorry about that. Sometimes it's too much to resist.
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sorry, I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just presenting my opinion. I think it's such a worthwhile program, that I will keep it even if/when I find editing software that I like. So far I've tried Silkypix Pro, Elements, Lightroom, and CS3 and didn't like any of the operating interfaces. I'm going to try Paint Shop next.
No problem. I didn't take your comment as a contradiction, I was just clarifying.
05-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #14

Original Poster
With some camera models (perhaps all?) it lets you shoot tethered to a computer
If this is correct and also applies to k-x, would you mind explaining how?

Thanks for your reply on programs - I 'll try alternatives to Faststone.
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I the K-X can not be used tethered.