Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Do I really need a weather resistant body?

When a pentax camera is not weather resistant, like my k-x, what should I avoid? Does this mean if I go out and it's misty I could ruin my camera? Or does it mean being out in the pouring rain for a while? I was looking at other cameras and didn't know if weather resistance was a necessity or not. i don't plan on being in the jungle with it. but I might take it into the elements here in the high humidity, some rain, and so on.

05-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Any degree of humidity in the air could damage a non weather sealed camera by condensation - so avoid putting a cold k-x in a warm, humid environment.

Mist is a suspension of small water droplets in the air so it could potentially enter your camera.

Rain should be absolutely avoided.

That being said, there are a lot of rain covers for cameras, just buy one and it will help.

Weather sealed bodies and lenses are of course the best options but a more expensive one.
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
When a pentax camera is not weather resistant, like my k-x, what should I avoid? Does this mean if I go out and it's misty I could ruin my camera? Or does it mean being out in the pouring rain for a while? I was looking at other cameras and didn't know if weather resistance was a necessity or not. i don't plan on being in the jungle with it. but I might take it into the elements here in the high humidity, some rain, and so on.

Take your camera out and enjoy shooting with it. If you get caught in a sudden downpour, take steps to keep if from getting soaked. If it gets wet, wipe it off and dry it. What you Don't want to do (and would be more of a concern to me) is store it in a damp environment. If you want to go out in the pouring rain with it, blowing snow, or other elements, get one of those rain coats for your camera as suggested.

05-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #4

Heck NO!!!

Heck No!!! You don't need a weather-proof body!!! Pentax will always sell you another KX. And another. And another. And...well you get the picture--well...maybe not...unless you get another....

05-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

The need for WR is linked with your usage of your camera can no body can decide for you. For outdoor shooting, you often need to use your camera in any conditions including harsh weather. See for example https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93367-k-7-steve-kr...gua-6962m.html. There, the WR is a must.

If you occasionally shoot outdoor, and can afford avoiding to shoot in the rain, the WR is of lesser importance. it is simply a matter for you to clean/wipe carefully the camera and lens if it becomes wet or dusty. The WR is more like an insurance against some accidents and incidents: e.g., some water splashing, a dust storm, ...

I shoot about 1/3 outdoor in any conditions incl. rain, mud, dust... I wanted a WR camera and chose the K-7 over the K-x and entry level Canikons for that reasons.

You should be encouraged to visit other threads at Pentaxforums.com: search for "WR"or "weather resistant".

Hope that the comment will help...
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Millions of people use their point and shoot digital cameras in less than ideal weather. How many instances have you heard from friends and others about their camera being ruined by this? And a point and shoot is better built than a DSLR?

It's nice to have WR and it's really nice for those people to claim its importance in the grand scheme of things, but in real-life?

If it's pouring rain and your camera might get soaked, you're going to put it away whether it's WR or not.

If you're going to shoot in those conditions, get a K-7. But if it's really pouring, I doubt you're going to be out there letting the buckets of rain fall on your camera anyway.

And I have yet to hear one person on this site here claim that their non-WR camera was damaged because of exposure to the elements.

Last edited by Ira; 05-07-2010 at 01:43 PM.
05-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say to try and avoid rain if at all possible. If your camera gets wet dry it off with a soft absorbant cloth AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I would also take the lens off, and either put a dry one on or use the body cap as water can get into the lens and from there into the camera. I own a DS which was my first DSLR, like the K-x, it's not WR, and I have shot in heavy fog and light mist with no ill effects, but I did try to keep the camera as dry as possible. After shooting in such circumstances, and after wiping down the camera to the best of my ability, I give it a light once over with a fan or air pump, paying close attention to all the little nooks and crannies where water can collect.

NaCl(if you are careful a small amount of light mist isn't fatal)H2O

05-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Millions of people use their point and shoot digital cameras in less than ideal weather. How many instances have you heard from friends and others about their camera being ruined by this? And a point and shoot is better built than a DSLR?
Let us be fair. A P&S costs a couple of $100, and no body cares too much to ruin a P&S. A dSLR costs $1,000 and many cannot afford to ruin their dSLR.

Outdoor shooting involves sometimes to shoot even "if it's really pouring". Please do not "doubt you're going to be out there letting the buckets of rain fall on your camera". Many genuine outdoor shooters go out by all weather, including rain, snow, ice, fogg, mist ... Some people are not outdoor shooters and I have no issue with them as long as they do not doubt about others' photography.

I shoot under rain including floods and storms, snow and ice. I chose the K-7 for that purpose and I take it out in all weather as part of my work. I am not alone and many K-7, K20D and K10D Pentaxians value their Petnax dSLR for their WR and outdor shooting abilities.....

Simply each user should ask himself/herself about their own usage. Every body is different and you should care about your personal needs. If your usage involves some serious outdoor shooting, the WR is a must. If not, just take care of your camera and avoid rain and dust.

Last edited by hcc; 05-07-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos, editing
05-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I was so grateful of that feature when I inadvertantly left my K200 out in the backyard overnight. 17mm of rain and I was devastated by my stupidity. However, all was well, and 1000 shots later all remains well. Accidents happen. A very useful feature if your camera is irreplacable.
05-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

It's nice to have WR and it's really nice for those people to claim its importance in the grand scheme of things, but in real-life?

If it's pouring rain and your camera might get soaked, you're going to put it away whether it's WR or not.

If you're going to shoot in those conditions, get a K-7. But if it's really pouring, I doubt you're going to be out there letting the buckets of rain fall on your camera anyway.

And I have yet to hear one person on this site here claim that their non-WR camera was damaged because of exposure to the elements.
I agree! In 25+ years of photography I have yet to ruin a camera in the rain or snow, and until I got my K20 last year, none of my cams were weather resistant. Unless you plan to regularly go out in the pouring rain, I wouldn't be too concerned, just use common sense and try to keep it as dry as possible. An old bread bag can be used as a "rain coat" if you must be out in a downpour!
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #11

Accidents happen.
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicap Quote
Accidents happen.
Yes they do, but with a little common sense, and an reasonable amount of awareness of one's surroundings, most can be avoided.
05-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #13

You are quite right, of course. Apart from my nasty "accident" I really appreciate the weather resistant feature. I spend a lot of time in salt air and I am sure it is of benefit to the longevity of the camera.
05-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #14

Cell phones don't like water either. I would still make a call in rain if I needed to..

With a non-sealed camera I would try to avoid having rain poring over it.

With a sealed one I would like to take the opportunity to put it to the test