Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The book's explanation of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO as a triangle is an example of this problem. Sure, there's three things, and as we all know from Schoolhouse Rock, triangles have three sides — but really the relationship is mathematically more linked than that: the factors are not like a triangle, but like the height, width, and depth of a box (where the volume of the box is the amount of exposure you end up with).
I ended up writing a long article on this:

camera basics - What is the "exposure triangle"? - Photography - Stack Exchange

05-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I am also recommending Understanding Exposure. I disagree with the comments that is just an Okay book. Start with this book will help you understand other book
06-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

One of the standards before digital was "The 35 mm handbook" by Michael Freeman. It still has some relevance today. he has done many since that apply to digital. I can't say what they are like but they seem to have good reviews and if the quality of the 35 mm handbook is anything to go by then they should be good: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Freeman: Books, Biogs, Audiobooks, Discussions
Have just ordered "Perfect Exposure: The Professional Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs" to have a look at - $25 with postage to Australia.
06-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Understanding Exposure is a fantastic book. I read it last year and it really helped me out. Good basic principles to understand.

06-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Personally I never read a photography book until last year. I learned everything I know through web forums, and trial and error. Everyone learns differently, though, so if reading is a good medium for you, by all means.

So last year I read The Camera, by Ansel Adams, only because I had seen it recommended so many times, and because I wanted to try out shooting with film. I can honestly say I learned more about photography from that book than in the prior 6 years since I've been shooting. Whether it was all directly applicable to shooting and processing (an all too often overlooked area) with digital, is another matter. But I wish I had read that book 6 years ago.
06-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Personally I never read a photography book until last year. I learned everything I know through web forums, and trial and error. Everyone learns differently, though, so if reading is a good medium for you, by all means.

So last year I read The Camera, by Ansel Adams, only because I had seen it recommended so many times, and because I wanted to try out shooting with film. I can honestly say I learned more about photography from that book than in the prior 6 years since I've been shooting. Whether it was all directly applicable to shooting and processing (an all too often overlooked area) with digital, is another matter. But I wish I had read that book 6 years ago.
I 2nd the Ansel Adams rec and would add the books by Michael Freeman of the last few years for their stunning comprehensiveness, especially for digital.

For newbies definitely Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.
06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I found the Time-Life series on photography to be incredibly inspirational and educational. They're filled with outstanding photographs, and cover a wide range of topics, including color, film, the darkroom, photojournalism, children (?), and others. I vaguely recall there being about 8 or 9 titles in the series, maybe more.
As you probably can guess from the titles and my haziness, it was first published in, I think, the late 70's. Check out your local library. Worth the trip.