Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New Here with Pentax k2000

hello everyone, i am new to this site and i have a pentax k2000. i am in NJ/PA and i have just been shooting for a couple months. i have a broad range of interests in shooting but my main goal is to photograph live MMA events. i am looking for some dencent zoom lenses that can get me as close to the action as possible..does anyone have any recomendations? i have read alot on the forums already and every one seems really knowledgeable. i am still somewhat confused by the aperature settings and shutter speeds . i cant seem to find a good setting to shoot action. any help is much appreciated.. i hope i can lend some knowledge to a newbie once i am settled..Thanks in advance!!

TRicky!

05-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm moving this to the beginner's forum, since it seems more appropriate there.

Basically, there are several excellent and low cost zooms that go to 300mm. Lenses that go beyond are generally much more expensive as well as much larger (or else they are nowhere near as good). your main three choices at the Tmron or Sigma 70-300 if you want to go cheaper, or the Pentax DA55-300 if you want the best. See the many other threads on these telephoto lenses in the beginner's forum or the SLR Lens forum for more info
05-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you very much for the info..it is much appreciated.
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Events sometimes limit what equipment you can bring or use, so check that first.

The event lighting is going to be your next limit, especially to capture action. If you can get physically close (say within 50 feet) and they let you use a flash, you can add light and not be so limited. If you can do that, buy the Pentax AF540FGZ or Metz 58 instead of a new lens. A flash will stop the action much more effectively than a fast shutter speed.

Otherwise, you will probably be at the edge of camera performance. To capture action without flash, you'll need shutter speeds from 1/90 to 1/500, depending on how fast people are moving. That's just my guess. Before buying a new lens, you can test this to see the effect on shutter speeds in that range. If you do get a 300mm lens, that's going to be about the same usable range for 300mm. It will be very difficult to take decent photos with slower shutter speeds than 1/90, and you won't have enough light for faster than 1/500.

The other settings are secondary to the shutter speed you choose. The aperture setting will probably have to be the biggest opening that the lens is capable of, likely f5.6 or f5.8. If you have a lot of light, every lens gets a little better at smaller aperture openings. You probably won't have enough light to use anything smaller than f5.6. The ISO setting is going to be high to make up for all these other limits. I suggest starting at ISO 1600 and testing at lower and higher values. Higher values have more "noise", mostly little color specks in shadow areas and grainier textures.

You might be able to focus once on the center of the ring and have enough depth of field to cover the whole ring. Then you can turn off auto-focus and not have to wait for it every time. I would also try AF-C mode so the camera is continuously following the actiion.

Your camera has a lot of ways to set these numbers. You can choose the one that works best for you. Since shutter speed is important, I would look at Tv mode first. You can set ISO directly, or some cameras allow Auto ISO within a certain range. The aperture number will be sort of along for the ride. There's also a sports mode with a running guy that will try to do the right thing automatically. Manual mode will give you more direct control over each setting.