Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone recommend a book on Photojournalism Style?

want to learn this style!

05-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know of any books, but I'm sure there are lots of photographers (check national geographic) put there who have written about their experiences. In a nutshell, photojournalism involves documentation of a subject matter in an appealing fashion, coupled with very good photographic technique.
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

We have a member here with the most hard to remember screen name ever, begins with a D and lives in LA, and he does some great demonstration shots. He's mostly in the Tamron Lens Club thread.

He would be a great place to start.

Photojournalism is a dying art, because real journalism is dying too.

So thanks for trying to keep it alive.
05-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

But Hock, you have to start posting some basic photos here first.

05-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, im not really trying to be a photojournalist. i just like the style as in telling a story within a shot.

ive learned that im not a big nature guy, landscape guy, or fashion guy, so im thinking of trying to tell stories with my photos
05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
well, im not really trying to be a photojournalist. i just like the style as in telling a story within a shot.

ive learned that im not a big nature guy, landscape guy, or fashion guy, so im thinking of trying to tell stories with my photos
Capture the photo first. Every picture tells a story, and I didn't write that song.

Learn the technical aspects first. Then worry about style.
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Photo Icons - The Story Behind The Pictures 1827-1991", published by Taschen, author Hans-Michael Koetzle.

"The Century". Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster, published by Doubleday.

"Great Events of the 20th Century". Time books.

There are undoubtedly others, but these I own.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-11-2010 at 10:48 PM.
05-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

So thanks for trying to keep it alive.
True, Photojournalism is a dying art.
05-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I hope not, if it is don't tell the editors and picture desks
05-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would love to learn more on the photo-journalistic style too but feel that the term has been used rather loosely lately, especially for weddings and events. IMHO, capturing the events as they unfold do not neceassily mean photo-journalistic style. I cannot quite explan in words however. Techniques are easy, style is gifted.
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Learn the technical aspects first
I don't believe there are many technical aspects to it.

What stories do you wish to tell Hock?

Anyway, I hired this book from the library a few weeks ago and it was excellent. It's also huge. It covers all the greats, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Eugene Richards, W. Eugene Smith, Robert Capa etc.

Published Art Bookshop - Witness: The World's Greatest News Photographers - Photography

Check out Getty reportage images also:

Reportage by Gettyimages
05-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #12

I browsed this book (Kobre, Photojournalism: The Professional's Approach 6th ED) today at a local bookstore. It might have what you are looking for. The book is on its 6th edition, so it's been out there.
05-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Capture the photo first. Every picture tells a story, and I didn't write that song.

Learn the technical aspects first. Then worry about style.
Hee, or among RML's 'Rules,'

Rule One: Get The Shot.

Ira's right, though: real old-school photojournalism requires technical proficiency and speed. (These days they pretty much machine-gun, 'spray and pray' and all.)

The speed and proficiency needs to be there so lack of it can get out of your *way.* The rest is very human. Situational awareness, you need to know what's going on all around you, not just in the finder, and you need to relate socially and visually at the same time: you get to neither say 'Pretend I'm not here' nor control the situation. You flow with what's going on around you and essentially *communicate.* (Even if in fact no one's consciously aware of your presence)

Select all your shots, but *get on the shutter.* It's not just the camera, it's how you *move,* ...everything's in motion. One thing I liked about the old manual focus is that with a familiar lens, you're unconsciously setting exposure and near-to-focus before the camera even comes to bear. Both eyes open, previsualize your framing, up, bang.

Like in the gunslinger movies: 'How fast can you take your time?'

It's not really a 'style,' ...it's a social and awareness activity Your whole body needs to be in it, especially if Things Are Happening. Being heedless of your feet is a sure way to trip on something and become Worth Removing From Where You Can Get The Shot. Thinking around editors is probably somewhere in there, too.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-17-2010 at 10:40 AM.
05-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

be ready for a lot of detractors wherever you post the pics because they will look at composition, exposure, rule of 3rds, noise and so on which though helpful for most photo genres but actually does little for photojournalism since to me its more of a spur of the moment shot or making the best out of the shot. They think its the same as travel photography where have the luxury to wait for the shot.

what you need to do also is practice writing as whats a picture without the story behind it.

rather then a book, see if you can find a newspaperman around town
05-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
be ready for a lot of detractors wherever you post the pics because they will look at composition, exposure, rule of 3rds, noise and so on which though helpful for most photo genres but actually does little for photojournalism since to me its more of a spur of the moment shot or making the best out of the shot. They think its the same as travel photography where have the luxury to wait for the shot.

what you need to do also is practice writing as whats a picture without the story behind it.

rather then a book, see if you can find a newspaperman around town
Some of the most stirring journalistic shots I have ever seen were, from a technical/artistic aspect, horrible. Some were moving despite that and some, I think in part, because of it.