Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Kx - Help please

Hi, I have a friend who knows nothing about DSLR and just bought a Kx . She loves to take pictures of flowers in her garden, and didn't satisfy with the images of her P&S, that why she ventured into the DSLR world .
The problem is when she took picture of her flowers with the Kx (in Av mode), all the images came out way under-exposed and blurry (because of low ISO and low shutter speed). She asked me how to set the camera . I don't know anything about the Kx, so I run in here to ask .

My question is - In Av mode with the aperture we want and with Auto ISO, how can we change shutter speed to suit the situation, and by that the camera auto selects the ISO for correct exposure (same as TAv of K10/20D) ?

PS. I mean with the Kx, how can we take the picture with the aperture and shutter speed we want and don't care about what ISO is ?

Sorry for my broken English, but I hope all understand my question .

Thanks in advance .

05-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is more of a photography question than a K-x question. If you leave ISO on auto, you should be fine. Just shoot in auto pict mode and your photos should come out OK.

There are a few articles on exposure here that you might otherwise find helpful: Photography Articles - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/62522-exposure-shutt...rture-iso.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In Av mode, you control the aperture, the camera controls the shutter speed. You can set the ISO to auto.

If you want to control both shutter speed and aperture, you need to use M, and there is no auto ISO option, AFAIK.
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
In Av mode, you control the aperture, the camera controls the shutter speed. You can set the ISO to auto.

If you want to control both shutter speed and aperture, you need to use M, and there is no auto ISO option, AFAIK.
As far as you know is correct.

You can't have auto ISO in full manual mode, regardless of the camera.

05-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
As far as you know is correct.

You can't have auto ISO in full manual mode, regardless of the camera.
Nor would you want it. There's no point in shooting Full manual if there is some other *variable* floating around.

FWIW, I've found (regardless of camera) my best flower shots are done by concentrating on getting the shadows right. You'll never see details in a flower (or any other object) unless you can master that. I Typically fix ISO at 100, shoot Av to pick my DOF and let the shutter speed float. When that fails me, I switch to full manual. Depending on the lens, I may even use Catch in focus to help remove camera shake from the equation. I also rely somewhat on post processing to get it looking right (to me).

05-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

read the manual, on page 98 (mine is a PDF from pentaximaging.com) it tells about using it. press the EV and turn the wheel to increase the exposure, at least 2/3 EV if needed, check picture, pros take a lot of shots just for 1 usuable picture. always check the manual for help, I checked the index to find AV information.
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consider using bracketing mode. That will give you more variation in your shots and will let you know how much you need to compensate.

It's possible that your problem is a result of using the wrong metering mode. Spot/full metering can change your exposure, and the conditions change quickly depending on the shot.

Also, your friend may be trying to take pictures that are difficult for any camera to pull off, especially in full-noon sunlight.

05-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers my Pentaxian friends . So in Av mode, the only way we can change shutter speed is to change ISO right? Then is there a faster way to change ISO like by ... while pushing the Green button and turning the wheel, or we still have to use the 4-way controller ?
05-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Hi, I have a friend who knows nothing about DSLR and just bought a Kx . She loves to take pictures of flowers in her garden, and didn't satisfy with the images of her P&S, that why she ventured into the DSLR world .
The problem is when she took picture of her flowers with the Kx (in Av mode), all the images came out way under-exposed and blurry (because of low ISO and low shutter speed). She asked me how to set the camera . I don't know anything about the Kx, so I run in here to ask .

My question is - In Av mode with the aperture we want and with Auto ISO, how can we change shutter speed to suit the situation, and by that the camera auto selects the ISO for correct exposure (same as TAv of K10/20D) ?

PS. I mean with the Kx, how can we take the picture with the aperture and shutter speed we want and don't care about what ISO is ?

Sorry for my broken English, but I hope all understand my question .

Thanks in advance .
Did anyone read this?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Thanks for all the answers my Pentaxian friends . So in Av mode, the only way we can change shutter speed is to change ISO right? Then is there a faster way to change ISO like by ... while pushing the Green button and turning the wheel, or we still have to use the 4-way controller ?
In Av mode, changing the Ev (button to the left of the green button) changes shutter speed. You can have Auto ISO in Av mode, like you said above. That combination should work OK.

I don't see an uncomplicated way to duplicate TAv mode. I'd suggest the scene mode with the flower picture on it if your friend hasn't tried it yet. I was looking at P mode, and that might work. It would be better if you could select a Program Line on the K-x but I think you can't.
05-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Did anyone read this?

In Av mode, changing the Ev (button to the left of the green button) changes shutter speed. You can have Auto ISO in Av mode, like you said above. That combination should work OK.

I don't see an uncomplicated way to duplicate TAv mode. I'd suggest the scene mode with the flower picture on it if your friend hasn't tried it yet. I was looking at P mode, and that might work. It would be better if you could select a Program Line on the K-x but I think you can't.
Hi Dave, thanks a lot .

Is that button the EV Compensation Button ? And would you explain more how to duplicate TAv mode in the Kx for me please .