Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by 71Matador250 Quote
In response to " rainy and wet looks ugly and dark " He must be awfully depressed there in Portland. Rain and wet particularly in fall foliage enhances the natural colors. Also a grey overcast sky is the most even lighting on the planet. Many of us spend $$$$ to make that happen in studio setting. Looks like somebody might need to review their exposure settings, get a tripod and a Pentax flash and diffuser to get outside after the storm. The colors can be amazing!

It is sunny in Portland, maybe you have us confused for Seattle. Nobody is depressed here. Maybe I just prefer to shoot in sunlight.

You need WR if you go out in the storm. If you go out after the storm you can use your K-x too.

Attached Images

05-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #17

Original Poster
I was searching around online and came across this on ebay
Pentax k20D with lens kit and tamron 75-300 mm lens - eBay (item 130389733148 end time May-15-10 07:29:33 PDT)

Seems like a good package and with only one bid on it I might be able to sneak in a bid late and get the package for around 650 with shipping.

Sellers description:
QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K20D. only 3 mo old and very gently used. comes with all the extras. all are in new condition.
you get the camera body with strap, battery, manuals, software, battery charger, lens kit.
Pentax battery grip with remote control
Tamron AF75-300 mm lens with hood
Tamron camera bag.
All items come in original boxes in new condition. all items have been very gently used but are in brand new condition. there are screen protectors over the camera displays that have been in place from the date of purchase.
Having never bought anything on EBay, let alone camera equipment, is it safe enough that I wont have to worry about getting cruddy equipment? I know I would never buy a used PS3 or XBOX 360 do to the percentage of defective equipment floating around out there. Is there a rule of thumb for camera equipment, in regards to used equipment? I forgot to add, that the battery grip that comes in this package is apparently a K10D grip, not a K20D grip.

Last edited by drew39k; 05-14-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added info about Grip
05-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drew39k Quote
...Having never bought anything on EBay, let alone camera equipment, is it safe enough that I wont have to worry about getting cruddy equipment? I know I would never buy a used PS3 or XBOX 360 do to the percentage of defective equipment floating around out there. Is there a rule of thumb for camera equipment, in regards to used equipment? I forgot to add, that the battery grip that comes in this package is apparently a K10D grip, not a K20D grip.
The eBay experience is going to vary because all the sellers are different. I spent a lot of money on eBay and had only a couple of problems. It worked for me.

The K20D is externally very close to the K10D and the grips are interchangeable.
05-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #19
rkt

maybe better than eBay would be to check the Adverts section on this forum ... and some parallel Pentax forums ... I am selling my current gear ... but eBay will be the last option for me ...

05-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #20

Original Poster
Yeah Ive been looking in the on sale sections of a few forums.

I have been looking at Olympus cameras too. I think that the k7 s going to be too expensive for a my first SLR. The K20 would be nice but again the price is just a bit higher then I would like at most places.

That leaves the KX, but most places seem to be out of stock on the two lens 300mm kit. I was toying with getting the single lense kit and a tammron 70-300mm lens that is 160 or so.

I also decided to take a look around and check out some more brands that are more readily available in my area. The nearest Pentax place is boston, some 4 hours away. I came across the Olympus e series. The e-30 and the e--620 both seem nice. The 620 has a very nice price 600 for the body and two lenses. I do like the Olympus brand as my sw 790 has been great to me. I have also been reading up on the outlook of Olympus slrs and it seems like they are dedicated to making a splash which is helpfull for the investment purpose.

Any thoughts on the Oly 620/e-30?
05-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

5 years ago, I picked up the K100D, which was the entry level body at that time, with the kit lens and the 50-200. It was (and still is - I still have it) a very nice and capable set. That was the forerunner of the KX several generations back. The K100 is still very usable and takes great pictures.

As you are finding out, you can go crazy comparing specs and prices in trying to make a decision. Bottom line is the KX would be a professional camera 5 years ago. It does all the essentials and quite a bit more. All the lenses work on it. Same thing with the K20D. A bit over a year ago, just prior to the K7 release, I upgraded to the K20. It too is a wonderful camera.

In the end, the body is less important than the lenses. The KX will do just fine. Here on the forum a lot of folks talk about the newest and greatest equipment. There too are an awful lot of folks still using the *ist from well over 5 years ago, managing just fine. That should tell you something.

The object here is to take pictures while you are away. Weather Resistance is great, but do you really need it. I do not think so. I spent 2 years out at sea on a tin can (destroyer), bouncing all over, seeing the world through a porthole. Take good care of the equipment, do not bump it, keep it dry and if in a humid condition - descant packs work very well. Wrap it in a towel and keep it secure in a drawer (it can get rough out at sea, at times).

You are going to also need memory cards and while you are out working on the cruise ship, you will probably need some place to store your images (a netbook ~ $300, works very well). You will want batteries and at least 2 spare memory cards, along with a little rubber blower to clean the sensor - all pretty minor items in terms of expenses. Then a backpack to haul everything around when you pull in to port (and do not make it look like an expensive camera backpack that yells - come steal me to all the "hey Joes" down at the piers).

So regardless of what system you select (Pentax or Oly), you need to keep your eye on the total system - everything you will need. Also, you are going to want to get it a bit before you leave so that you can test everything out and use it a bit, just in case something needs to be exchanged.

Remember to have fun and enjoy the experience.

hope that helps...
05-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't put too high an emphasis on weather proofness for a DSLR. As others have pointed out weather sealed lenses are very expensive. They also tend to be very good optically. But were talking serious enthusiast equipment here. Besides, photography in bad weather isn't that much fun and there are always umbrellas.

If you're staying on water, store your gear with silica gel, the stuff you find in vitamine bottles. It's inexpensive in bulk. Kitty litter crystals are silica and you can bag your own. I use fill yourself tea bags. Dry the bags periodically by putting them in a microwave for half a minute. With a couple of good zip-lock storage bags for transport, even the monsoon tropics won't effect your gear.

If you'll be spending a lot of time in small boats or doing water sports then you might consider picking up a weatherproof pocket camera to supplement your SLR. It won't give the same photo quality but you won't worry about getting it soaked.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365

05-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #23

Original Poster
Yes, Im still flip flopping around...I had a bit of a curveball thrown my way too. I now have an slr with a lens. Note that i did say SLR not DSLR. I went to visit my mom and she had apparently had an slr sititng in her closet for years. Her husband got it for her and she never used it. She asked if I wanted it. I figured why not. It will give me something to mess with while i browse and hey a lens is always a plus.

Camera wouldnt start, needed some new batteries.. After putting new batteries in I tried using it, It autofocuses and takes pictures, but the parameters screen doesnt work at all. So i cant access any settings other the the wheel ones up top... I decided to google the camera and lens to see what i had....

The camera, a canon eos ix lite - used value according to the internet, about 25 bucks. Its a film camera that take certain film that has supposeldy been discontinued. The camera had somefilm with it, that had expired in 2006. I used a roll up and had it developed... not pretty at all. Not sure if it it the film or the settings on the camera but I wont be getting the other roll developed.

The lens was a canon ef 24-85/3.5-4.5 usm. internet says its about 250 used. It seems like it is a good length for walking around. I did some walking when i tried out the camera and it wasnt too bad. Interestingly, when i brought the camera to the local camera shop the guy said that the lens wouldnt fit the newer digital eos line. I questioned him on it so he tried it, and it worked, auto focused and everything.

Long story short. Having a lens would It make more sense to find a canon perhaps body only or some package that comes with a longer range to go with the one i have, Or do I try to sell the lens for 200 or so and put that towards a k7 single lens kit as taking 2 hundred off the k7 kit would bring it down to 750 or so. Heck it would bring the oly and pentax dual lens kits down to about 400.
05-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
As others have pointed out weather sealed lenses are very expensive. They also tend to be very good optically. But were talking serious enthusiast equipment here.
Perhaps you are unaware of the Pentax 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR?
05-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The main issue with the 24-85 is going to be that it won't be nearly as wide on the DSLR as it was on the SLR (unless you shell out the big bucks for a full frame DSLR). So what looked like a nice walkaround range on the old film SLR might not look so good any more. Chances are excellent you'd end up tossing that lens in favor of one that did true wide angle.
05-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The main issue with the 24-85 is going to be that it won't be nearly as wide on the DSLR as it was on the SLR (unless you shell out the big bucks for a full frame DSLR). So what looked like a nice walkaround range on the old film SLR might not look so good any more. Chances are excellent you'd end up tossing that lens in favor of one that did true wide angle.
That may not be true. The Canon EOS IX Lite appears to be an APS film camera, so the field of view should look similar enough to APS-C, the typical digital sensor size. (The APS film thing was complicated - you could order different crops, etc., so it may not be exactly the same, but closer than you'd get from a 35mm film camera.)

I'd definitely put the Canon camera and lens up for sale.
05-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. And of course, 24mm is better than the more typical 28mm on such zooms. On the other hand, Canon's crop factor of 1.6 for their DSLR's makes that more like 25 or 26 on Pentax. Might do for a while, but I'd still expect one would eventaully want to replace it if shooting a Canon DSLR.
05-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

If I was going to buy just one great lens...to use both on the ship and in port...it would be the Tamron 28-75. You don't need longer than 75 on a cruise ship.

And since you can get the 18-55 kit lens for next to nothing, you can be covered on the wider-than-28 end for chump change.