Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Waiting for my wife to get ready so we can go out to dinner..... 1000 Euro = $1252 today.

Reasonable prices here in the US from reputable retailers with a 1 year warranty...
K7 with kit lens (WR lens) = ~ $944
Amazon.com: Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Weather Resistant Lens: Camera & Photo

DA 55-300 lens (not the L version) = ~ $360
PX55300AFDK Pentax SMC P-DA 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED AF Lens Kit, with Tiffen 58mm UV Filter, Lens Cap Leash, Professional Lens Cleaning Kit

So a pretty reasonable price here would be $1304.
I would take the the 1K Euro deal, plus you have $50 for SD cards and a spare battery, along with an extra year under warranty... Not too bad.

05-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As I have been searching for a better deals, I found that the prices in EU are dis-hearteningly heavy than the prices in US. And there is no extra benefit on these extra prices. Why is that????
05-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
As I have been searching for a better deals, I found that the prices in EU are dis-hearteningly heavy than the prices in US. And there is no extra benefit on these extra prices. Why is that????
If I'm not mistaken, prices in the USA are excluding VAT; somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

And don't complain, K7 over here is close to 2000Euro so it can always be worse (current exchange rate) Prices of that thing don't seem to go down
05-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no tax on items bought over the internet in the US, unless the vendor has a presence in the state in which you live. This actually significantly reduces the cost of items in the US. There is no VAT here at all (probably should be, the way the country is in the hole).

Prices in individual countries have to do with the importer and their dealings with Pentax. Pentax gear does tend to run a little higher in Europe than in the US, but certainly cheaper than in South Africa or Australia. Sometimes it is worth looking at ordering an item from Adorama or B and H yourself, depending on the price.

05-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blame Greece for deflating the euro

As for the lenses, I wouldn't invest too heavily in modern lenses if you don't already know where your preferences lie. Unless, of course, you're a rich man.

I would advise that in any case, you bought the DA18-55 WR kitlens. It's a decent enough lens, it's cheap, and it's weather resistant. It covers the most used focal lengths, which will help you figure out what you prefer.

Furthermore, I would advise you bought at least one cheap, old prime (a lens that can't zoom). It will introduce you to primes, which is a whole different kind of way photography, and (in my experience) it will make you a better photographer as well. What's more, primes are usually faster (faster means a lens is capable of a larger aperture. With a larger aperture there is more light passing through the lens, so you can shoot at dimmer circumstances, and it allows a shallower depth of field). Pay a visit to the lens database. Any old 50mm lens will do. The A-series are probably the best bang for the buck. They're cheap, but they are fully automated, except for the focus. I own an A50mmf1.7 and I love it. 50mm is fairly zoomed in (you can check on your kitlens), you could also opt for a 28mm lens, which is more of an all-purpose focal length.

If you want something 'long', the DA50-200 and DA55-300 are good value. There are also older lenses for sale (the A70-210 shows up often on the Marketplace).

Bottom line: stay away from the more expensive lenses until you know for sure you will be using them a lot. Try out first with the cheaper options: kitlenses and older manual lenses.
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I talked to one vendor in Germany and he is offering K-7+ 18-55mm + 50-200mm lenses for 1000 EURO with original 2 year warranty. I am not sure if the price is worth for the set. Especially I had observed significant price drop in online auctions for few weeks now. Should I wait for some time for a better deal? Any thoughts on this?
If those two lenses are the WR versions, the price is more reasonable. Prices on the camera will drop over time; you just have to decide how long you can wait.