Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

What did I get here?

I was helping my Grandparents neighbors move last week, and they gave me there camera. I am not really into photography, so to be honest, I have no idea what I got here, is it black and white, or color? How old, should I sell it to a student, what is it worth? I just dont know anything, so any information would be great.

It's a Pentax K2 Asahi, theres a power cord with it, a flash add on, 2 tri-pods ( the small one is in the center leather bag). It has all the manuals, and the leather case. Which I got to say is pretty cool looking. Do people still have a need for this type of camera?

05-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not worth much, unless:

Exactly what does it say on the front of the lens?

It looks like it says "Tamron" on the barrel, and is that the only lens?
05-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera is the Pentax K2, which you may have guessed already. It was introduced in 1975, and probably sold for a few years after that. Lots of information here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...pentax-k2.html

The last review puts the price at $85. Actual selling price for a film camera varies depending on condition, function, and interest. Obviously a lot of people have moved on to digital, but some people prefer film. There are plenty of film cameras around and not that many people trying to buy them all, so your camera must be in good shape to get that price.

The lens is a Tamron Adaptall-2 zoom of some sort. The adapter is worth $15 minimum, maybe up to $100 if it's a certain type but don't count on it. The lens value depends on its exact specs. If I squint really hard it might be the 35-80mm model that some people like, maybe $75?
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Not worth much, unless:
I wouldn't yet dismiss the K2. It's actually quite a rare body and looking on ebay at any point in time, you might be lucky to find even one. Likewise, keh.com doesn't have one right now either.

Having said that, it's still not quite fetching what it's actually worth. For a K2 in excellent and fully working condition somewhere between $180 and $200 maybe. I would maybe just wait. It's only going to be rarer over time (I can safely make that recommendation without regret because I got mine already ).

Cheers,
Tassilo

05-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vparseval Quote
I wouldn't yet dismiss the K2. It's actually quite a rare body and looking on ebay at any point in time, you might be lucky to find even one. Likewise, keh.com doesn't have one right now either.

Having said that, it's still not quite fetching what it's actually worth. For a K2 in excellent and fully working condition somewhere between $180 and $200 maybe. I would maybe just wait. It's only going to be rarer over time (I can safely make that recommendation without regret because I got mine already ).

Cheers,
Tassilo
$180 to $200?

I'd like to see that.
05-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Eye Spy the K2 camera manual in the first photo; everything you need to know about the camera!

Lens is a Tamron Adaptall 2 CF Macro prime, unsure of focal length, but sure about good quality.
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
$180 to $200?

I'd like to see that.
You could if you could actually turn up a K2 that is currently for sale.

In of the recent keh.com catalogs I have at home there was a silver K2 marked in EX condition for $179. An EX+ or LN would guaranteed be beyond $200.

The K2 is along with the LX the priciest of the manual Pentax K-mount bodies. Not a whole lot of them were built, so I would hold onto it. I paid $117 for mine back in February and I was quite lucky to a) find one at all b) find it in very good condition and c) getting it from a person who did not know what she was selling.

Cheers,
Tassilo

05-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
... I was quite lucky to ... c) getting it from a person who did not know what she was selling.
Quite lucky taking advantage of someone?
05-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Quite lucky taking advantage of someone?
Not really. Her ebay rating was pretty low so I already took a risk there. Think of it as a bad credit rating: You wind up paying higher interest rates with one. That's what she did.

Cheers,
Tassilo
05-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vparseval Quote
Not really. Her ebay rating was pretty low so I already took a risk there. Think of it as a bad credit rating: You wind up paying higher interest rates with one. That's what she did.

Cheers,
Tassilo
That is quite different than a face-to-face transaction, which I was wrong to assume. Sorry about that!

More than once I've won a lens on ebaY for $0.99US even though I bid more, sometimes a LOT more.
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The K2 is very worth it as a film camera; the above estimates are pretty good I think for a good copy.

The Tamron adaptall zoom is from the same era, I believe it is the 07a 28-50
Tamron Adaptall-2 28-50mm F/3.5-4.5 Model 07A
This is a rare lens
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was some guy here locally who thought he could get over $300 for a K2 and 2 lenses because he saw an eBay listing with a BiN of $500. Now he says he'll entertain any offer.

Asahi pentax K2 camera
05-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm on the iTouch now and can't copy a link, but there's a K2 for sale there from a seller in Trintity, FL with no description of the lens, but check it out.

Silver, and I think I see 43mm on there!
05-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info people, I appreciate it. Yes, the lens does say Tamron. I got a call from my sister saying her friend will offer me $500 for everything. So did I just get lucky, or do you think I should hold onto it. Money is not a huge thing right now for me, but I know I will never use the camera.
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The K2 is very worth it as a film camera; the above estimates are pretty good I think for a good copy.

The Tamron adaptall zoom is from the same era, I believe it is the 07a 28-50
Tamron Adaptall-2 28-50mm F/3.5-4.5 Model 07A
This is a rare lens
Yes, it is that lens. It has model 07A .No.5730345, 28-50mm-CF Macro written on it.