Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #1

p mode basics

Greetings - I am having some trouble figuring out the P-Mode on my K-x and why for example certain flash settings (e.g. slow sync) are only available in this mode. It will be awesome if someone can provide a basic explanation of what the P-Mode is doing and what it is good for. Most of the other modes seems self-explanatory (e.g. aperture priority, shutter priority) but this one I find quite confusing! Thanks so much!!! Jeff.

05-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rather than trying to answer this question directly, I direct you to a recent discussion of this (and a bit more) that should provide you with a lot of info.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/99790-what-diff...n-av-tv-p.html
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
P mode is simple, too. It allows the camera to set both the shutter and aperture, but allows access to menu items that are unavailable in a true "auto" mode.

Not sure about the K-x, but with the K20D, you can bias the P "program-line" toward a fast shutter, smaller aperture, or lens MTF. And, by jogging the front or rear wheel, it will go directly into Av or Tv mode. Green button returns to P.
05-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for these replies! They are very helpful!