Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is my equipment too good for me

I just got a good deal on ebay. I probably don't need this good of equipment, so i am asking for truthful, reliable answers or sugguestions.
I have a pentax k10d which i figure is good but old enough for me to grow into without wasting money.
The lenses are another story. They seem a little on the too good for me side. I have a tamron af18-250mm f3.5-6.3 di ii aspherical (if) macro and a pentax smc d fa 100mm f2.8 macro and i also have a pentax af 540fgz flash.
This seems like overkill for me, but i don't know. Should i sell some of the lenses to someone who could use them to thier potential and buy cheaper ones for myself..........Or should i keep what i got and be happy i got what i thought was a great deal for 900 bucks ?
Any opinions are happily awaited.

Thanks,
Rhw

05-16-2010, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No.

They are not too good for you. Enjoy the camera and the lenses. A long 2.8 will allow you to create photos you just can't with the 18-250mm.

Enjoy (and don't yell)
05-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post edited to sentence case. Please don't type in all caps Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2010, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I would suggest a good keyboard that has a caps-loc key you can turn off :-)

Assuming all the equipment works, that is a reasonable price.
For a casual shooter, that is a good setup. For sports, it is not. For low light/high ISO is is not.

The 18-250 has a wide range that keeps you from having to change lenses too often. Image quality is adequate, but it requires a good bit of light and is not going to be too good at sports shooting. To get enough light you will need a high ISO and longer shutter speed - usually not good for sports. It may be a bit long physically and may block the onboard flash. But, you have that problem solved (below).

The 100 macro will let you get very close to a subject - good for flowers and bugs. You will want to use it on a decent tripod for best results. You will probably want to manually focus because autofocus is not exact to the millimeter at that close of a range.

The AF540 is the better flash from Pentax and has a lot of capabilities, such as the bounce and swivel head which allows you to have better looking shots. I have one but never use flash :-(

05-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i'm confused.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Post edited to sentence case. Please don't type in all caps Thanks!
i have been on many forums over the years. i have never understood the problem with typing in all capitals. it makes it easy to read and understand. it looks better than all little letters. it is either one or the other. i never took typing class and have no intertest in doing so.
some people say "oh my ! typing in capitals is yelling !" i hate to tell you this buckwheat but letters have no level of volume detectable by modern science.

letters are just that, letters. they have no volume. when the day comes that i have to adjust the volume to read a wriiten note, then i'll worry about it.
until then i will try to write in little bitty no scary letters, but if i forget, well i guess some people will just have to change thier panties if i scare them.
05-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks so far

i've learned stuff already from the replies about my camera and lenses. thanks,
05-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RHW698 Quote
i have been on many forums over the years. i have never understood the problem with typing in all capitals. it makes it easy to read and understand. it looks better than all little letters. it is either one or the other. i never took typing class and have no intertest in doing so.
some people say "oh my ! typing in capitals is yelling !" i hate to tell you this buckwheat but letters have no level of volume detectable by modern science.

letters are just that, letters. they have no volume. when the day comes that i have to adjust the volume to read a wriiten note, then i'll worry about it.
until then i will try to write in little bitty no scary letters, but if i forget, well i guess some people will just have to change thier panties if i scare them.
Just write normally with correct grammar and punctuation. I have never understood why people feel like they need to write like ee cummings on the internet.

05-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just write normally with correct grammar and punctuation. I have never understood why people feel like they need to write like ee cummings on the internet.
i have enough trouble typing in one or the other (upper or lower case) without adding to it by working in the proper capitals and stuff. i'd appreciate the last comment if i knew who the hell ee cummings was. i'll take it nicely.
thanks
05-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a pentax k10d which i figure is good but old enough for me to grow into without wasting money.
I have a tamron af18-250mm f3.5-6.3 di ii aspherical (if) macro and a pentax smc d fa 100mm f2.8 macro and i also have a pentax af 540fgz flash.
You have an excellent combo. As stressed in earlier posts, the K10 with the Tamron 18-250mm is an excelent combination for an all-around system that will cover most of your needs without changing lenses.

Keep your gears and starting using your system.
05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i have enough trouble typing in one or the other (upper or lower case) without adding to it by working in the proper capitals and stuff. i'd appreciate the last comment if i knew who the hell ee cummings was. i'll take it nicely.
thanks
He was a poet whose poems were all in lower case. Whatever the artistic intent, he was memorable for that anyway. I like caps. They were probably invented for a reason, back when they needed to carve or cast a whole separate alphabet just for them.

To your point, just about everyone's equipment is better than they are, in some way. Today's cameras are already overloaded with features we won't use. (My new one has face detection!) If you use it and learn stuff, it's fine. If it just sits there, it wasn't worth it.
05-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #11

So there were a couple of things I'd like to comment on regarding this post:

Usage of Caps when posting:
While it's (apparently) a pet peeve of many people, including the moderator here (and myself), I think it's out of bounds to modify someones post for them to convert it to "sentence case." It's your playground, but this delves in the "too far" category usually reserved for censorship. Until the author indicates it wasn't the way s/he intended to communicate, we should be hands off unless they're violating some forum rule or something.

Using gear beyond your skillset:
Which is the exact point. You never want to be in a position where you've outgrown your gear. These realizations usually happen when you really needed to make a shot, and weren't able to do so. - Or cognitively, you restrict your learning curve by never knowing a technique or setting was possible while using lesser equipment.

Finally, while the DFA is a fine piece of equipment, I find the Tamron a mediocre superzoom at best, and the flash par course for Pentax's otherwise underwhelming Flash system. Summarily: relax, you're worthy of your gear

You basically have what you need to grab some good captures, and with the DFA some exceptional ones. Try some macros with the flash remote off camera. That'll knock your socks off.
05-16-2010, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

The fact that you don't "understand the problem" does not mean there is no problem. Your rude responses to advice about etiquette on this forum will lead to you getting very few answers in the future from the knowledgable folks you piss off.
05-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
More thanks

i appreciate all the input. the more i read everywhere, the more i get the idea maybe i can use some of this stuff to take a picture now and then.
i really had to study cameras for awhile before i bought one. i liked everything i heard about the pentax k10d. my last camera was a olympus c-770uz, 4 megapixel and 10x zoom. loved it, took better pictures than some of my friends with thier high dollar dslr. but time wore it out, or i shoulld say time and a lost lens cap wore the coating off the lens. still takes goo pictures, just has these little black dots all over if you crop the picture or blow it up too big.
maybe i can do it again better this time.
once again, thanks for the input, and keep it coming. i'm learning lots.
05-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
The fact that you don't "understand the problem" does not mean there is no problem. Your rude responses to advice about etiquette on this forum will lead to you getting very few answers in the future from the knowledgable folks you piss off.
my response was not rude. i fail to see the problem with big letters. you obviously are not just "happy to be here". there was not etiquette problem. etiquette is for people who drink tea with thier pinkies up and pee sitting down.
thanks for the attempt to correct my miserable existence.

have a nice day
05-16-2010, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

my response was not rude. i fail to see the problem with big letters. you obviously are not just "happy to be here". there was not etiquette problem. etiquette is for people who drink tea with thier pinkies up and pee sitting down.
thanks for the attempt to correct my miserable existence.

have a nice day
Etiquette issues aside, I respectfully disagree with your earlier statement that reading a post that is all caps is both easier to read and understand. To the contrary, I think you would find that the vast majority of people find it easier to read a post with proper capitalization.

To answer your original question, I think it sounds like a good kit to get started with. Even if elements of it are "too good" at this particular point in time, it will give you something to grow into over time. Plus, at $900 it sounds like you got a pretty good deal.
Closed Thread