Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trying my hand at birdwatching

I have a 75-300 but more then often, the lens has problem seeking/locking on and sometimes even loses focus. I expected as much in lowlight but in bright daylight?

opinions?

05-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might try manual focus to see if that helps. I never use autofocus when photographing birds. They move too much, either via the limb and wind or just ruffling their feathers.
05-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Might try manual focus to see if that helps. I never use autofocus when photographing birds. They move too much, either via the limb and wind or just ruffling their feathers.
I second the above...
05-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Agree with the manual focus, the less noise your make the better...

05-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Bird watching and photography may mean Birds in Flight (BIF) and birds not flying (BNF).

For BIF, there was a worthwhile recent thread at Pentaxforms.com:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/101070-k7-auto-foc...ction-bif.html
Several Pentaxians agree that MF is better. The thread is worth to read in details.

For non-flying bird (BNF), AF with center focus works fine. I enclose some thumbnails (with link to original photo) taken with a DA18-250mm, MF, AF-S, Center focus.

I have used also MF lenses and had no major issue.

Hope that the comment will help...
05-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

One of the problems with birds and wildlife is that most often there is brush and tree branches in the frame in front of and behind the target and the cameras auto focus doesn't know a bird from a leaf. This also happens in sports as the cameras AF will try to focus on something in the background as you try to follow and capture the action. Sometimes you just have to manual focus. That isn't always easy, especially with eyesight that is a little off. One of the biggest requirements for for bird and wildlife photography is patience. I have had good results using trap/catch focus with manual lenses. That way you are using the cameras auto focus to trigger the shutter but you are focusing the lens yourself.
05-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Why don't you try baiting in the backyard with a feeder?
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
One of the problems with birds and wildlife is that most often there is brush and tree branches in the frame in front of and behind the target and the cameras auto focus doesn't know a bird from a leaf. This also happens in sports as the cameras AF will try to focus on something in the background as you try to follow and capture the action. Sometimes you just have to manual focus. That isn't always easy, especially with eyesight that is a little off. One of the biggest requirements for for bird and wildlife photography is patience. I have had good results using trap/catch focus with manual lenses. That way you are using the cameras auto focus to trigger the shutter but you are focusing the lens yourself.
catch in focus....my camera has that function but my main worry is that it will activate supposingly if the branch/leaf was in focus rather then the bird.

05-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
catch in focus....my camera has that function but my main worry is that it will activate supposingly if the branch/leaf was in focus rather then the bird.
Yes, that will happen. I tried an AF lens (Sigma 170-500) thinking i could get more keepers with AF. I didn't. It seemed always to focus on the branches, and never on the bird.

Focus confirmation with the M 400/5.6 that I am using does exactly the same thing. I added a Pentax magnifying eye piece to help with manual focus, turn the camera to MF and focus by eye. It's a learnable trick. It helps to be stopped down at least one stop to give a tiny bit more depth of field (and there is not very much depth of field at 400mm!).