Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-X Purple color in the middle of the pictures! Help

Hi I just bought a Pentax K-X and took some random pictures. In a couple of pics this purple color has come from nowhere. While I do understand it is because of the direct sunlight I wanted to know the following

1. How normal is this for any camera? Is is this a problem with my camera or lenses? If it is I can get my camera returned or exchanged for another one in the next 10 days so this is of particular interest to me.

2. How to avoid it?

3. How to process this so that it can be removed?

4. Any other suggestions would be welcome too

Attached Images

Last edited by cih; 05-17-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
05-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like lens flare to me.. If you have a filter on your lens take it off. If you don't have a hood on the lens, put one on. Mostly though, try to watch your angles when shooting into the sun. If you study the framing and look closely, you can probably see when this is going to happen.

05-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

1) It is perfectly normal.
Flare happens, so be careful.
Flare is generally worse with zoom lenses, and Pentax lenses have about the best anti reflection coatings in the business.

2) Don't use filters on your lens unless it is absolutely required for an effect (poarizer, ND filter, etc). Use a good lenshood, it will provide better drop protection than a filter and will reduce or remove flare in many conditions.

3) The clone tool would be your best bet. But, avoidance is the best policy, so try to keep the sun off your lens.

4) Get closer to your subjects.
05-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
cih

Original Poster
Thank you very much.

I was not using any filters and would now invest in a lens hood.

Really appreciate your promptness

12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
cih

Original Poster
Thanks guys after getting a lenshood I have not faced this problem anymore.
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cih Quote
Thank you very much.

I was not using any filters and would now invest in a lens hood.

Really appreciate your promptness
Being a Pentaxian, you asked... most Canikon owners think it is normal as none of their kit lens come with lens hood; sadly Pentax started skipping the lens hood with the L version. I have seen people holding a 5D and L glass without lens hood in bright sunny day and they weren't even aware of flare problems.

Lens hood is not only good for control flares like that, but also provide a bit of protection for the front element of the lens; getting the habit of using lens hood is a good thing.
12-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Being a Pentaxian, you asked... most Canikon owners think it is normal as none of their kit lens come with lens hood; sadly Pentax started skipping the lens hood with the L version. I have seen people holding a 5D and L glass without lens hood in bright sunny day and they weren't even aware of flare problems.

Lens hood is not only good for control flares like that, but also provide a bit of protection for the front element of the lens; getting the habit of using lens hood is a good thing.
So true on the lens hood. I swear by them. Due to my stupidity, I set what has to be a Pentaxian Walt Disney World record in that I dropped my Kx with 15 mm limited within 24 min of entering the park!! What a great way to start the family trip!! I just kept saying to myself -"Don't let the kids see me cry. Don't let the kids see me cry...)

Luckily my hood was extended and the camera landed smack down on the pavement on the extended hood, bounced and flipped on to the eyepiece and came to a rest. There was only a small chip on the back of the camera. There is not a single lens barrel,filter ring or front element scratch. The lens works great. The lens hood...well I bent the S#&t out of it. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back into shape and file the rough edge down and cover the exposed metal with a marker.

I can't imagine what the damage would of been if the impact were directly on the filter ring with a 'UV protector' in place.

Just a word to the wise... Hoods all the time!!

12-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
1) It is perfectly normal.
Flare happens, so be careful.
Flare is generally worse with zoom lenses, and Pentax lenses have about the best anti reflection coatings in the business.

2) Don't use filters on your lens unless it is absolutely required for an effect (poarizer, ND filter, etc). Use a good lenshood, it will provide better drop protection than a filter and will reduce or remove flare in many conditions.

3) The clone tool would be your best bet. But, avoidance is the best policy, so try to keep the sun off your lens.

4) Get closer to your subjects.
good summary