Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wet SD Card

I was shooting a sunset in Mobile Bay and realized I had a loose SD card in the lower pocket of my shorts. I pulled the out the card damp but not dripping and do not believe it was under too long. The bay water is brackish (slightly salty) and brown. My plan is to wrap the card in silica gel packs but I wonder if I should try to rinse first. If I can just dump the images and toss the card I will be happy. I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, chris

Attached Images

05-17-2010, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

recently had a card get wet with seawater (UW camera that leaked) and once home, I stuffed it into the card reader and it was fine. A wash in fresh water straight away wouldn't be a bad idea but if it's been a while since it was initially dunked, wouldn't make much difference, the corrosion would have already started. I'd think that letting it dry out before trying to read it would be the most important bit... get your images off and then turf it!
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would clean the SD card with a soft, very clean cloth and then put it to dry outside in a shady area during a dry, sunny day.

During a cold winter, I would leave the card indoor overnight in a warm place, next to, but not on, a heater.
05-18-2010, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was out shooting one day. Came home, forgot I had a card in my pocket, and tossed my pants in the laundry. Washed them a few days later and found the card in the bottom of the washer. Let it dry out for almost a week (just to be certain). Popped it in the card reader, and everything was fine. No issues with the card to this day. BTW, it was a cheap Kingston, Sandisk, or no-name card.

05-18-2010, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
You can probably get the images back if you let the card dry out but I think I would ditch the card after that. The contacts might work for now but could corrode.

Either way, let us know how it turns out!
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
recently had a card get wet with seawater (UW camera that leaked) and once home, I stuffed it into the card reader and it was fine. A wash in fresh water straight away wouldn't be a bad idea but if it's been a while since it was initially dunked, wouldn't make much difference, the corrosion would have already started. I'd think that letting it dry out before trying to read it would be the most important bit... get your images off and then turf it!
I thought the same about the salt and corrosion and just let it dry. I popped it into the laptop and was able to retrieve the photos although the transfer seemed inordinately long. I will delegate the card to a music device if it will read 8 gigs.

It is good to know the card can be rinsed....for the next time.

Must not be my week....I'm now drying one of my cell phones after dropping it in a pool today.

Thanks to all posters for the suggestions. Good rep to all!