Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #1

Tricurious

Q1) I wanted to know, uptill what distance in feet will i get a crisp/clear image while using the 18-55mm lens?

Q2) How noticeable is the difference between 720p and 1080 p HD video?

Q3) Also, i read somewhere that the new k-x will have a magnesium alloy body. How true are these rumours?

05-18-2010, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lzel Quote
Q1) I wanted to know, uptill what distance in feet will i get a crisp/clear image while using the 18-55mm lens?

I assume you are asking how CLOSE you can safely get. According to Pentax's specs on the DA 18-55 AL WR (the newer kit lens), the minimum focus distance = 9.84 inches (.25 meters).

smc PENTAX DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Keep in mind that, at that distance, you'll be getting the minimum depth of field for whatever aperture you've picked.

If you were asking how far away you can be, the answer is, as far as you want.

Don't know the answers to your other 2 questions.

Will
05-18-2010, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can get *sharp* pictures of things as far away as you want; they just won't look very *big*. That is, a picture of a deer half a mile away will just be a tiny dot in your picture - but it will be a perfectly *sharp* dot. To make distant objects look *big*, you need a telephoto lens.

The difference between 720 and 1080 is size. 720p video will take up only a portion of your computer screen; 1080 will come closer to filling it.

No one here knows anything for sure about unannounced products, but I'd say the chances of a replacement for the K-x (the lowest end DSLR Pentax makes) having a magnesium body is close to nil.
05-18-2010, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Lzel,

1. Crisp and clear are pretty subjective. The Pentax 18-55 is considered a very good "kit" lens compared to those offered by other brands. With any of the new models, the 18-55 stopped down some should produce images that can pretty easily be printed to 16x20 without visible lack of resolution.

2. I'd suggest you visit a store that sells a lot of TVs. Tell a salesperson that you'd need to see the difference between the two resolutions to decide what spec in a 42" TV you'll be getting for your mother's next birthday. I'm sure they'd be happy to demo this for you. I assume that I don't need to tell you not to buy the TV

3. I agree with Mark, it's doubtful that the replacement for the Kx will have a magnesium body. This is usually reserved for the higher end bodies from any mfg. Pentax's plastic over stainless framed bodies have always been very solid and sturdy, and have never been considered "flexy", toylike, or cheap as some competitors have been and continue to be. I like the metal body of the K-7, but have had no complaints about the feel of any of the previous DSLR bodies.

Scott

06-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Allrite, thanx for the info people.Much appreciated. I took Scott's advice and checked out the TVs, not much difference there.
06-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lzel Quote
Allrite, thanx for the info people.Much appreciated. I took Scott's advice and checked out the TVs, not much difference there.
I think that you can see a difference with gaming, but not sure. We have both resolutions and for regular stuff, even Blu Ray, pretty much equal.