Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You had me worried and I was out getting a memorial flower for your camera..

The products in that kit are basically what I told you to use. Glad it worked out for you. Now that you know how it's done, it's a no brainer, Right? Right.

1wink

05-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, it is a no brainer. But I have told myself, self, make sure hands aren't shaky before attempting this next time.

Beautiful flower too, btw.
05-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sensor seems more successible to dust now though. I thought these chems were supposed to make it less apt to get dust. I changed one lens this morning, went out, shot a few fluffy white clouds and there are dust spots in there again. I was inside when I changed the lenses out.
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You had me worried and I was out getting a memorial flower for your camera..
Every thread is appropriate for flowers

05-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not when the thread isn't about flowers but about sensor cleaning.

Nice flower though.
05-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Not when the thread isn't about flowers but about sensor cleaning.

Nice flower though.
Actually I have a dust problem when using the lens I took that picture with, Sigma A 50mm f/2.8 macro. Every time I use it I get dust on the sensor. It's like a dust magnet. None of my other lenses do this, only the Sigma. I think it has something to do with the macro extension drawing air through the lens.
05-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually I have a dust problem when using the lens I took that picture with, Sigma A 50mm f/2.8 macro. Every time I use it I get dust on the sensor. It's like a dust magnet. None of my other lenses do this, only the Sigma. I think it has something to do with the macro extension drawing air through the lens.
That was going to be my suggestion, to check the lens used. I learned the hard way to check the lenses I got from eBay. A wet clean with swabs and fluid doesn't last forever but in between, the blower is reasonably effective. Climate helps; I have less trouble in Colorado than Hawai'i.

05-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't check to see if the dust was getting in through my lens. I just cleaned the sensor again after shooting today, I found another dust spot in there. I'm using my Sigma 70-300mm Macro lens. If this is the problem, I'll just learn to live with it and blot it out with PSE or Photoshop, as long as it doesn't get too bad.
05-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The first cleaning of my 5D1 sensor had to be repeated more than 10 times(!) because the mirror was flipping more dust onto it with every shutter press. That was over a year ago. I change lenses a lot too, but I don't have any 'dust pump' lenses. A quick blow once in a blue moon has done it for me. I live in a very dusty environment too, with sticky pollen dust often floating in the air during warmer months.

I always face camera mount opening downward and turn off the camera when changing lens so sensor is not static charged. Some folks will insist the charged sensor is behind the anti-alias screen, that turning off makes no difference, but any physicist who has studied how static charge distributes and spreads over surfaces knows better.

The first sensor cleaning step often missing from instructions is to blow out the mirror box before putting the camera into sensor cleaning mode. Otherwise, the mirror flips dust onto the freshly cleaned sensor with the first shutter actuation!

Use a Rocket blower or equivalent which produces a strong blast (but not too strong!). I use a foot pump made for inflating camping mattresses because it provides a lot of air volume, but don't stomp on it, use firm steady pressure and point the nozzle all around inside the mirror box. Blow again after camera is in sensor cleaning mode. If the foot pump is used, be sure to cover the air intake with a few pec-pads or a folded micro-fiber cloth to prevent dust intake! Also, with a new pump, inflate a couple of mattresses to blow out all the plastic particles leftover from manufacturing, before using on a camera!
05-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shaky hands

Hi Jeff guess we were writing and posting at same time. But it's fixed now. I think it had to do with me applying pressure. I think it was too much and didn't help that my hands were shaky to start with. Hands are calmer now and I was able to fix it.
I know all about the shaky hands...
The first time I cleaned my sensor, I was so scared that I would damage something, I didn't get very good results at first. After repeated cleaning, I got the same results you did. Now all I usually do is have to blow out the sensor area and I'm good to go!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-29-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Removed needlessly quote image
05-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I have not determined if it's my cleaning or the lens but I have streaks on my sensor now.

Should I invest in a different type of cleaner? Or is there a way to keep these pec pads from causing streaks on the sensor?

Last edited by photolady95; 05-28-2010 at 07:32 PM.
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, I have not determined if it's my cleaning or the lens but I have streaks on my sensor now.

Should I invest in a different type of cleaner? Or is there a way to keep these pec pads from causing streaks on the sensor?
The way is to have a flat pec-pad surface as wide as the sensor, such as pec-pad wrapped over a tongue depressor with end cut to sensor width, to wipe only once, then move a new unused section of pec-pad over the end of the tongue depressor and repeat until no streaks. Avoid touching the pec-pad surface that comes into contact with sensor.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-29-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Removed needlessly quote image
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have the swabs that come with my kit that Paul suggested. They already have pec pads on them. And they are the width of the sensor.

Here:

IK2 Photographic Solutions Digital Survival Kit #2 for Nikon D1/H/X, D100, Canon D30/60 & 10-D and Other Similar Digital Cameras

Click on the photo of the kit.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-28-2010 at 08:21 PM.
05-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have the swabs that come with my kit that Paul suggested. They already have pec pads on them. And they are the width of the sensor.

Here:

IK2 Photographic Solutions Digital Survival Kit #2 for Nikon D1/H/X, D100, Canon D30/60 & 10-D and Other Similar Digital Cameras

Click on the photo of the kit.
One wipe per swab. You can get two wipes per swab by wiping once with swab at an angle, then flipping the swab over for the second wipe. If same swab surface gets used twice, some of the contamination that was cleaned by the first wipe gets wiped onto sensor, causing streaks.

Sort of like not wiping twice with TP, if you know what I mean
05-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know only one swab per swipe. And I don't reuse them. I got pec pads in this kit and I make new swab covers.

When swiping, is that long ways or short ways? When I swipe long way it doesn't go all the way to the end and when I pick up the swab it leaves a streak.