Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Brush left white powder on sensor (it's not supposed to do that, is it?)
What brush did you use?
How did you make sure it was clean?
When using a brush, it is very important to test it first with a UV filter, for example.

N.B., you are right, the K100D doesn't have a self-cleaning sensor. The K100D super has, but like most older systems it is not that effective.

With the exception of some sensors which have an exposed ITO coating, cleaning a sensor isn't really that dangerous as you are basically just cleaning glass. Suggesting it shouldn't be touched is like saying never clean the front elements of your lenses. The service technicians have to touch the sensor as well. Blowing is fine for the crude stuff but it won't get the sensor a 100% clean. Having said that, there is no need to have it 100% clean as most small particles are invisible under normal shooting conditions

06-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #47
Veteran Member

PENTAX sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1
06-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Class A, the brush was the one came with the kit I bought. The one Steve posted a link to in his last post. I shot the sky at F22 to see if it was clean yet, the first two times. I have not tested it since the last cleaning because the sky is dark now..it's night here. And thanks for the bit about the sensor not being so sensitive.

Morrell, yeah, this might work too, PENTAX sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1, but the price of it is beyond my budget. And after buying two other kits, I'm not buying anymore.
06-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #49

I did lots of reading on sensor cleaning, tried a few and were expensive with poor results. Anything with a drying agent like alcohol tends to dry too fast and streak.
For me now all I use is Windex and a cotton swab (Ear type).
Lightly dampen the swab (Not wet) and flatten the pointy end so the swab looks like a bell with a stick in the top.
Just wipe this to and fro over the sensor till marks are gone, sometimes a light polish after the wet clean with a bell shaped dry swap.
Then just blow out any fibre residue with a giottos if the is any, a loose strand is asy picked up with the damp bud.
(You can get medical grade buds that dont loose fibres, but I never found a need for it)
DO not get the buds too wet, cannot emphaise that point too much !

06-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Got the new cleaner in. Had lots of trouble cleaning the sensor, first out, got streaks. Next clean, got most streaks off, then more streaks on, then more streaks off. Finally tried the brush...big mistake. Brush left white powder on sensor (it's not supposed to do that, is it?), back to cleaning again. I think I got it all gone this time, including streaks. I'm going to let it (the sensor) dry until morning and take another look.
Just read your update photolady.
Take courage, I think your tools are good you just need to adjust your technique a little. Possibly you applied too much liquid on your swab, or your swab got dampened on both sides. Also, if you are going to use that sensor brush (and I do use one myself) always make sure it is clean first. Almost for certain there will be some dust on it (unless you are in a very clean environment). I always blow a brush strongly before putting it any where near the sensor. I believe that your instruction also include verbiage about leaving the sensor to dry off before using it?

Once you have had a successful process you will be less scared the next time!
06-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
auspentax, thanks for the info but I don't like the idea of using Windex, that usually has amoninia in it. I use alcohol (the rubbing kind) to clean computer parts and have not noticed a streak on cpus; of course the one I use is at least 70%, which is less oil based.

Steve, I used two drops, and none was on the dry side of the swab. At one point in the process I used only one drop. But what finally cleaned it was an old lens cleaning cloth that has lost it's chemical properties. I used that after the wet solution and the sensor had dried overnight. I took this cloth and laid it inside on the sensor, took one of the swabs and gently pushed the cloth around on the sensor. Now there are no streaks.

Since the cloth was made for plastic eyeglasses, I knew it would not scratch the sensor.
06-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sensor is now completely clean and since then, I do what Peter does. I clean/blow out the camera before each shoot and haven't had any stubborn dust bunnies in there, where I use the Giotto's Rocket Blower to do.

Thanks to everyone for their help in this situation of mine. I really appreciate you all.