Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How sensitive is the sensor?

I need to clean some really stuck on dust. I can buy these items at Adorama:

Photographic Solutions Eclipse Cleaner for Sensors & Lenses , 2 Oz. Bottle

And these:

Photographic Solutions Pec*Pad Photowipes for Photographic Emulsions, 100 Sheets 4"x4"

But before I spend the extra money for the photowipes, how sensitive is the sensor? I was thinking about using a foam paint brush. They're really soft but are they soft enough?

Here's a photo of the dust spot: highlighted in the red square.

05-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot photolady!

I suspect that you will get various levels of responses leaving you still unsure of the answer!

I can only tell you that I successfully removed a very similar looking 'spots' from my sensor a couple of days ago. I firstly gave the sensor a few milliseconds burst of compressed gas ('Dust Off') and then I used the Visible Dust sensor brush.

Took maybe 3-4 minutes - now my sensor is spotless.

If that had failed I would have used the Visible Dust V swabs.

Done all of this before (except the 'Dust Off') many times on Nikon and Pentax sensors.
05-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That looks like a hair stuck in the light path just ahead of the sensor.
Have you had a good hard look to see what you are trying to remove?
I don't think the sensors are as fragile as a lot of people think, but I would still shy away from foam paint brushes in favour of a proper wet cleaning system if I felt the need to wet clean a sensor.
At the same time, I doubt very much that you'd hurt anything with the foam brush either.
There's a nice ambiguous answer for you....

You probably know how I feel about canned gas, but do try to buy the name brand one (Dust-Off), not the cheap knock offs
05-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliment on the photo Steve.

I've used dust off and a giottos on this but that is one stubborn piece of dust on that sensor.

Those Visible Dust sensor brushes are expensive. Too much for my wallet. However, I found this kit at Adorama, would it work? It is not beyond my means.

41392901 Visible Dust Mini Dry and Wet Sensor Cleaning Kit with Orange 1.6x & 16mm Sensor Brush

05-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Exactly what I use when I am forced to - except I use a different brush of course.
05-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That looks like a hair stuck in the light path just ahead of the sensor.
So how would I remove that? How would I see it?

If it is hair, how it got there, I don't know and if it's that long, where it came from because my hair is only about an inch long.

Btw, I only use "Dust Off".
05-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Get the Pec-Pads and make your own sensor swabs.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

Under no circumstances would I use a Foam brush on the sensor.

05-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I used this from Adorama. My sensor was filthy, so it took me about 3-4 times to get it cleaned.
IK2 Photographic Solutions Digital Survival Kit #2 for Nikon D1/H/X, D100, Canon D30/60 & 10-D and Other Similar Digital Cameras

05-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff and Paul. I think I'll go with the one Paul suggested. Besides it is cheaper.

I still don't know how to remove it if it's a hair and stuck in there before the sensor. I tried dust off just now, twice. I can't see a hair in there but I don't have a powerful magnifying glass or loupe either.

I can always crop the offending spot out but I'd rather have it gone.

Edit: I forgot about the magnifying piece I removed from another lens I had that was broken. It was strong enough with a small flash light for me to see what this thing was. It's not a hair. It looks like a smear of some kind. I'm going to order what Paul suggested, now.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-19-2010 at 07:58 AM.
05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And it's on its way. Thanks everyone who helped. I'll let you know after cleaning how it went. It will take several days to get this because they are not shipping until Friday because of a holiday closing.
05-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks Jeff and Paul. I think I'll go with the one Paul suggested. Besides it is cheaper.

I still don't know how to remove it if it's a hair and stuck in there before the sensor. I tried dust off just now, twice. I can't see a hair in there but I don't have a powerful magnifying glass or loupe either.

I can always crop the offending spot out but I'd rather have it gone.

Edit: I forgot about the magnifying piece I removed from another lens I had that was broken. It was strong enough with a small flash light for me to see what this thing was. It's not a hair. It looks like a smear of some kind. I'm going to order what Paul suggested, now.
Definitely time for a wet clean then.
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now it's worse. Look at what that sensor cleaner did to my camera. Those are streaks from the pec pads and pec pad paddles. I've tried to fix it, but can't get the streaks out. Now what do I do?

05-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

doh

huh

I've used the products in that kit but have Never had a result like that. It looks like you got the origintal spot though. Can you explain Exactly what you did so that we may help you?

05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Never mind. I just panicked when I saw this. I have now fixed it by making a new swab using the full pec pads and paddle.
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jeff guess we were writing and posting at same time. But it's fixed now. I think it had to do with me applying pressure. I think it was too much and didn't help that my hands were shaky to start with. Hands are calmer now and I was able to fix it.