Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I suggest you go into the last item in the Custom menu (page 4) and reset all Defaults.
Excellent suggestion, .... but with a slight warning.

When you reset the defaults in the K-7, the High ISO correction is On by default. This feature requires some PP if the camera settings require high ISO and could interfer with Hi continuous shooting.

I experienced this problem and it took me a while to understand the reason. After going one by one to each setting, it was the culprit: I was shooting indoor in P-mode at ISO 1600 and the camera was set with high ISO correction starting at ISO 800.

Last edited by hcc; 05-20-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Typos
05-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just to pull all the advice together: aside from getting a fast SDHC card, you will get the best speed out of the camera by ensuring you are only shooting JPEG, and turning off all in-camera processing steps, like the lens distortion correction and the CA correction, or any bracketing.

It's all about the interaction between

(a) the amount of CPU processing the camera has to do between shutter-clicks (eg if you ask the camera to do lens distortion corrections on each image, that's extra work for the CPU to do),
(b) the amount of data the camera is able to store in the memory buffer (eg JPG's are smaller files than RAW images), and
(c) the speed at which it can write the processed data to disk.

Every bit helps. Get it all right and the K-x should be able to achieve it's rated 2 - 4.7 fps continous shooting speeds.
05-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I just shot a sequence with High ISO NR on and off, and I couldn't detect any difference in processing speed. There was a big difference with Lens Correction activated, as in the OP; the camera stopped after three shots.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-20-2010 at 10:43 AM.
05-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
Zig

Original Poster
Ok, both lens corrections were enabled - now disabled.

Verified the camera was set in continuous Hi vs. auto bracketing - it was in Hi. (thanks for thinking simple and obvious!! I've done such things before.)

Set to Tv, and press the shutter button.............click, click, clickety click, click, click. Now we're making some headway!

Wait for the buffer to transfer to the card.................UGH! "Memory Card Full" display again. I fairly certain I blurted out loud, "Ah, no! it's not!" as if the camera was to respond.
As soon as I attempt to page back through the pictures to see what copied and what didn't, the camera froze with "Memory card error" displayed.

A new SDHC card was purchased (still class 4, now to 8GB as that was all that was available local) - but I started thinking: I have been unable to find the DTS rating the K-x runs at, so the class 4 may be perfectly fine.
But what about this formatting thing?
I opted to not format the new card - and it works flawlessly right now! I ran the camera through four burst captures of varying length (5-12 pics), all took to the card and (knock on wood) no error messages or premature full card messages.
I will look into which of the changes actually made the difference, but for now - no formatting this card.

05-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I just shot a sequence with High ISO NR on and off, and I couldn't detect any difference in processing speed. There was a big difference with Lens Correction activated, as in the OP; the camera stopped after three shots.
You may be right if you did your test with good lighting at relatively low ISO. The High ISO NR on is applied only above a high ISO threshold that you set in your camera (default: ISO 800 in the K-7). You will note a difference only if you shoot a sequence in low-light or in a setup requiring high ISO, higher than the High ISO correction threshold.

The CPU required for PP for High ISO correction is not as demanding as lens distortion correction, but it starts to slow down a K-7 camera after a 7-15 shots depending upon your settings...