Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Took a K-x out tonight

Five(5) captures into the baseball game, I ran into problems. I had the camera set on Tv (adjusted to 1/400), with Hi continuous shooting and a center focus setting. While the camera seemed to capture until I released the shutter, I got three(3) error messages back to back. The first was "This image cannot be displayed", then when I tried to move forward to the next picture, "Memory card full" displayed.
I then went to shift back to the main screen, and the camera locked up with "Memory card error" displayed. I had to power off the camera to get it to do anything.
I am using a 4GB SDHC class 4 card, that was formatted by the camera before being used for the first time. I am shooting in JPEG, size 12, on the highest quality setting.
Once downloaded, it appears as if I only captured one of each continuously shot set, and random pictures taken afterward in profile, manual, and auto pic settings.
The problem started at picture #3, and I took a total of 33 pictures for the evening.
The questions I have running through my mind are:
- Did I need to format the card before being used?
- Is a class 4 SDHC card fast enough to match the buffered continous processing speed?
- Is there a certain SD card that the K-x prefers?
- Was there something else I needed to do with the camera settings before I started using it outside of what the first few pages of the manual spell out?

05-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem one time. It was due to a defective Class 6 Adata SDHC card. Do you have another card to try?

I always format when I install a new card in a camera.
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
more evidence for why you don't cheap out on the memory card -- Sandisk extreme III is pretty much the only way to go.
05-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Sandisk extreme III is pretty much the only way to go.
There are many quality choices, and people have used many different brands such a s Sandisk, Transcend, Lexar, and Kingston all without a problem. Every brand has also had problems. But, according to the non-scientific poll now going, almost 75% of users never had a single problem.
I would go with a class 6 at least, though. Very high speed cards are faster than the camera and it makes less sense to spend extra money on them.

05-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd definitely recommend going an in-camera format prior to shooting, as this guarantees that the disk is empty and to the camera's liking!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
more evidence for why you don't cheap out on the memory card -- Sandisk extreme III is pretty much the only way to go.
Don't really agree there, Sandisk is severely over priced. Transcend class 6 have always been good to me and I have been using 4GB, class 6 Delkin cards from B+H for 2 years without so much as a glitch.

Actually my worst card is my Extreeme II because the lock catches upon entry.
05-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

While your camera could be faulty, the most likely cause for the problem is a faulty memory card.

I formatted my SanDisk 4GB card once and never had to reformat it again.

05-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zig Quote
The questions I have running through my mind are:
- Did I need to format the card before being used?
- Is a class 4 SDHC card fast enough to match the buffered continous processing speed?
- Is there a certain SD card that the K-x prefers?
- Was there something else I needed to do with the camera settings before I started using it outside of what the first few pages of the manual spell out?
All earlier posts pointed you to the right direction. For Hi continuous shooting, you need a fast SD card. Many Pentaxians, who do regularly Hi continuous shooting with K-x and K-7, have had some excellent shots with the Sandisk Extreme III Class 10. That is the reference card, although other cheaper cards mght work as well.

Another critical point for Hi continuous shooting is to switch OFF (yes, off) all in-camera PP including lens distortion correction, High-ISO noise reduction .... This is essential. There are numerous threads on that single issue in Pentaxforums.com.

Lastly, you do need to choose a file format that will not fill up your buffer memory. The K-x has a very small buffer (compared to the K-7) that fills up very quickly in RAW. A JPEG 6 Mp file size is a better choice for long, continuous Hi shooting with a Class 10 SD card.

Hope that the comment will help....
05-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Zig

Original Poster
I've been experimenting since I dumped the pics into the laptop and cleaned the disk off.
Now it seems as if every picture is being recorded - in JPEG and Raw.....................however, now the continuous mode will only take three frames at a time then stops. This is happening in JPEG 12 ***, JPEG 10 ***, and Raw1. (Tv, Auto, and Av)

Same card. I'll try a new class 6 card, once I can get my fingers on one.

Thanks for all the replies.
05-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been experimenting since I dumped the pics into the laptop and cleaned the disk off.
Now it seems as if every picture is being recorded - in JPEG and Raw.....................however, now the continuous mode will only take three frames at a time then stops. This is happening in JPEG 12 ***, JPEG 10 ***, and Raw1. (Tv, Auto, and Av)

You probably have one or mote of the lens corrention options of the camera enabled.
Turn them off, and do all corrections in post processing. It will speed up the camera considerably.

- Bert
05-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Now it seems as if every picture is being recorded - in JPEG and Raw.....................
Do you want them in both RAW and JPEG format?
RAW only would be sufficient.

Often even JPEG only is sufficient (you have less latitude in post-processing, but most of the time the JPEG headroom is sufficient).

Disclaimer: I only assume that the K-x has an option to shoot both RAW+JPEG at the same time. In terms of frames per second, this would be the worst option, followed by RAW(DNG) and then JPEG being the best.
05-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue is really a buffer issue. For something like this, just shoot in jpeg. As others have said, getting a SD Card with faster write speed can make a difference as well.
05-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Zig

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Do you want them in both RAW and JPEG format?
I wasn't aware that was even possible.
My reference to both formats was simply to convey that I was trying as many possibilities I could think of. I tried JPEG as well as RAW.

I really, really appreciate all the discussion - thank you all!!

This morning I stuck in another SDHC card (identical to the first), formatted it, and proceeded to start capturing. As of now, every shutter cycle is being recorded on the card....................put it's still stopping after only three(3) burst cycles in continuous Hi mode. (only capturing three(3) images at a time before locking out to buffering)

I will be turning off all the on-board lens corrections (they are enabled), and shooting again this afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed this isn't going to morph into a camera issue.
05-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I wasn't aware that was even possible.
My reference to both formats was simply to convey that I was trying as many possibilities I could think of. I tried JPEG as well as RAW.

I really, really appreciate all the discussion - thank you all!!

This morning I stuck in another SDHC card (identical to the first), formatted it, and proceeded to start capturing. As of now, every shutter cycle is being recorded on the card....................put it's still stopping after only three(3) burst cycles in continuous Hi mode. (only capturing three(3) images at a time before locking out to buffering)

I will be turning off all the on-board lens corrections (they are enabled), and shooting again this afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed this isn't going to morph into a camera issue.
You don't happen to have auto bracketing on, do you?
05-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I suggest you go into the last item in the Custom menu (page 4) and reset all Defaults.