Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #31
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
I'm in NYC all the time with a camera and never had a problem! Don't worry about it. Your biggest danger to your wallet will be shopping at B&H or Adorama.
I use to work there. Always carried muggin money. When I went shooting I'd make sure there were at least 3 of us. Of course I never got mugged but my aunt did. So my muggin money went to spiratone.

05-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm in NYC all the time with a camera and never had a problem! Don't worry about it. Your biggest danger to your wallet will be shopping at B&H or Adorama.
yeah thats definitely going to be a stop on my trip
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 6 Flags Safari stinks. It costs a fortune, and there's nothing to hardly see, because when it's hot, the animals stay in the shade.

The Bronx Zoo is much better, especially for photography.
05-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #34
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
So my muggin money went to spiratone.
Ahhhhh.......Spiratone! Memories!

When I got my driver's license, I drove to the one in Flushing.

05-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah we are also going to the zoo. The only reason we are doing the safari is because we got a deal on this VIP thing for the whole park and it comes with the Safari so we figured why not.
05-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #36
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Yeah we are also going to the zoo. The only reason we are doing the safari is because we got a deal on this VIP thing for the whole park and it comes with the Safari so we figured why not.
The Bronx Zoo is really on par with the San Diego Zoo. I've been to both.

Plus, you're in Tampa--don't you have the safari there anyway?
05-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The Bronx Zoo is really on par with the San Diego Zoo. I've been to both.

Plus, you're in Tampa--don't you have the safari there anyway?
Sort of but I don't know if I would even call it that

05-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
But now I'm looking forward to the Bronx zoo
05-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've lived in NYC for the last 24 years and never had a problem

I live here and couldn't agree more. I've carried camera (around neck) and photo backpack in most the the neighborhoods in NYC and have never had a problem. In fact the only time I had a problem was when someone broke into my car at Longwood Gardens in upscale suburban Philadelphia. Fortunately all they got was my second best tripod. But I've never had a problem in all of NYC and that includes some "less affluent" neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the Bronx.
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lenses and possibly other places to see.

Hi Chris!

Have fun in "my" city! You've had all kinds of lens advice. As many have said, shooting in NYC is mostly a "wide" affair. I would suggest that if you can find one second hand to look into the Zenitar 16mm fisheye. It's relatively inexpensive, and tho it is a manual lens it's not that hard to use. To be truthful, because the lens was designed for a full frame film camera, the fisheye distortion isn't too bad and can be compensated for with careful framing. That's my two cents as far a lenses goes.
edit: I would get a low light lens if at all possible. Many of the museums here ban flash photography so a good low light lens is a must. Fortunately you can find the M 50mm F1.7 fairly cheaply, it's a good lens to have in NYC.

I don't know how tightly scripted your vacation is and what ages your kids are, but to my mind one of the most underrated "sights" in NYC is a walk across the Brooklyn bridge. It's free and gives you a great view of both mid and downtown Manhattan, NYC harbor, the Statue of Liberty myriad other things besides.
If your family likes books at all, I'd suggest going to Adorama instead of B&H. Adorama is around the corner from the biggest Barnes and Noble I've ever seen. Four large floors full of books, music, magazines etc. It (B&N) is also at the head of Union Square, a nice park where you can sit in the shade or check out the Farmers Market or the many artists selling their work.
Here's a shot of the B&N

If you have any questions regarding NYC don't hesitate to PM me

NaCl(It's my city and I love it)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 05-24-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added thoughts on low light lenses
05-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #41
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Chris!

I don't know how tightly scripted your vacation is and what ages your kids are, but to my mind one of the most underrated "sights" in NYC is a walk across the Brooklyn bridge.
The bridge is near the South Street Seaport too, a touristy but cool place to go.
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The bridge is near the South Street Seaport too, a touristy but cool place to go.
Yeah we were planning on going here too.
05-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #43
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Yeah we were planning on going here too.
Don't eat a full meal there, unless you're starving. If you want to go to heaven without dying, try this place, not far at all by cab:

El Faro

As a matter of fact, don't eat for a week before you go.
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #44
Ira
Inactive Account

If you're going to the Empire State Building, make sure you check out Macy's just down the street from it. Even if you're not shopping, it's cool to see because it's so large and historic.
05-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #45
Forum Member

You might want to think about a good polarizing filter as well...like Hoya brand. NYC is surrounded by water and there are plenty of fountains, skyscraper reflections, and lakes as in Central Park. I actually use a light messenger bag, rather than those pro-looking camera bags. They make you stick out like as a tourist. And try not to stop in the middle of a crowded sidewalk.