Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Don't eat a full meal there, unless you're starving. If you want to go to heaven without dying, try this place, not far at all by cab:

El Faro

As a matter of fact, don't eat for a week before you go.
I guess we will have to check this place out
It looks good

05-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #47
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LucyGoosey Quote
And try not to stop in the middle of a crowded sidewalk.
That's a biggie that I forgot about!!!

After visiting after moving two years before, I totally forgot how to walk in Manhattan.

It's an art.

When are you going?
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
Jun 25th - Jul 10th
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Jun 25th - Jul 10th
Hey--will you be in the city for the 4th, and the fireworks?

05-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah we are going to be on a ferry that goes out specially for the fireworks
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few quick, somewhat incomplete thoughts:

1. Costco has a two-pack of 4 gig Sandisk Ultra II SD cards for $27, And I think they have two 8 gig cards for $37. If your k-m outruns the Ultra II's then it is faster than my K10d.

2. Take 3 sets of batteries. That way when the first set runs dry midday you don't feel like you need to baby the second.

3. Excluding what I said about batteries, it is really easy to drown yourself in gear. Limit yourself to three lenses at the most, and consider making it less.

4. ***This one is the most important thing to remember***
This is a family vacation, not a photo expedition. Make sure that you try to keep photo breaks to a minimum. Don't get me wrong - take the shots you really want - but also make sure that the camera doesn't ruin the trip for everyone else.

One side note - If you think you could be happy with a two zoom setup, you might consider selling the k-m and taking the proceeds and your $400 budget and picking up a 2 lens k-x kit. You will get far better low light performance and the ability to record HD video out of the deal. With a little luck on the sale you should have enough left for batteries and memory cards.
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #52
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
A few quick, somewhat incomplete thoughts:

1. Costco has a two-pack of 4 gig Sandisk Ultra II SD cards for $27, And I think they have two 8 gig cards for $37. If your k-m outruns the Ultra II's then it is faster than my K10d.

2. Take 3 sets of batteries. That way when the first set runs dry midday you don't feel like you need to baby the second.

3. Excluding what I said about batteries, it is really easy to drown yourself in gear. Limit yourself to three lenses at the most, and consider making it less.

4. ***This one is the most important thing to remember***
This is a family vacation, not a photo expedition. Make sure that you try to keep photo breaks to a minimum. Don't get me wrong - take the shots you really want - but also make sure that the camera doesn't ruin the trip for everyone else.

One side note - If you think you could be happy with a two zoom setup, you might consider selling the k-m and taking the proceeds and your $400 budget and picking up a 2 lens k-x kit. You will get far better low light performance and the ability to record HD video out of the deal. With a little luck on the sale you should have enough left for batteries and memory cards.
Are you sure about that? I go back home (well it was home at one time) once in a while and I only have three cameras with me.
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #53
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Yeah we are going to be on a ferry that goes out specially for the fireworks
Wow. You're in for an incredible experience.

One time, I watched it on a classic docked boat on the Brooklyn side of the East River, the Massorsky I think it was called, and it was a replica of the ship on the Cutty Sark bottles, because the ad agency I worked for at the time had that account.

This year, it's going to be on the Hudson River:

NewYorkology: A New York Travel Guide

Anyway, the fireworks are perfectly timed to music, and my guess is that the boat you'll be on will simulcast the music, because the event is broadcast on TV.

And my advice is to not waste your time taking photos of it, but instead, just ENJOY it.

You're going to be witnessing one of the largest, most spectacular displays on earth. It's actually 6 or 8 simultaneous displays of the same show to cover the entire shoreline, so no matter where you are, you get the full effect.

I'm jealous.

Also, they used to always have a huge street festival on Water Street on July 4th, which is where the South Street Seaport is, and right near prime viewing areas used to be when it was on the East River. So, I don't know what your itinerary is for the day, but if that festival is still going on there (maybe it was moved), it's still a REAL quick run from the Seaport to the Hudson, because Manhattan is real narrow down there.

05-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Are you sure about that? I go back home (well it was home at one time) once in a while and I only have three cameras with me.
Three cameras? What the H.E. double hockey sticks for? To drive yourself crazy?
05-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #55

Wow, 15 days in NYC, lots of time to do lots of things. Have a good time & by the way if you go to the Bronx Zoo, the NY Botanical Garden is also close by. You'll probably need two days though.
05-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Make sure you get out to Coney Island, too. Your camera won't regret it.
05-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice everyone We are definitely gonna check out the places everyone recommended among with our already packed itinerary. It should be an amazing and busy vacation.
05-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #58
Veteran Member

As for the bags check out Lowepro Fastpacks. They can be had for $50-100 depending on the size you want.

I like San Disk 4gb Ultra II cards myself (I don't know that I'd notice a differance on my K200d if I used a faster card). I don't like having all photos on one super big card because if the card fails then I lose all the photos. Plus if you are shooting JPEG you'll probably not run out of room on the card. If you shoot RAW then you might want to pick up a second 4gb card.

Lens hood? Don't worry about it. The one that comes with the lens is fine.

Batteries? Definantly Eneloops and maybe a set of Ultimate Lithiums as an emergancy backup.

Lens? FA50mm 1.4 for indoor stuff or if you are willing to shoot manual, M 50 1.7.

Last edited by lurchlarson; 05-25-2010 at 12:01 AM.
05-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
Make sure you get out to Coney Island, too. Your camera won't regret it.
I work down in CI and it sure isn't what it used to be. The aquarium and the boardwalk are still there but astroland is now a big hole in the ground. And likely to stay that way as the firm that bought and demolished astroland is now bankrupt. It was so very sad when astroland went south.

NaCl( a big fan of the "old" Coney Island)H2O
05-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #60
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
As for the bags check out Lowepro Fastpacks. They can be had for $50-100 depending on the size you want.

I like San Disk 4gb Ultra II cards myself (I don't know that I'd notice a differance on my K200d if I used a faster card). I don't like having all photos on one super big card because if the card fails then I lose all the photos. Plus if you are shooting JPEG you'll probably not run out of room on the card. If you shoot RAW then you might want to pick up a second 4gb card.

Lens hood? Don't worry about it. The one that comes with the lens is fine.

Batteries? Definantly Eneloops and maybe a set of Ultimate Lithiums as an emergancy backup.

Lens? FA50mm 1.4 for indoor stuff or if you are willing to shoot manual, M 50 1.7.
Yeah I've been shooting Raw and reading all the posts about Raw vs. JPEG but its still not clear to me which I should use