Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Help Before New York

Ok, I am going on a Trip to New York at the end of June. I now have my newly purchased K-m with the kit lens. I am now in the process of getting everything I need for my trip as I have nothing (I'm using an old 1GB SD card lol)

My Budget is between $300-$400 (I know it's low but it's all I have)

So with that I need the following:
1. Lenses for New York (I'm also going on a Safari at Six Flags, Driving up on the Blue Ridge, Going to a Yankees Game, going on top of the Rockefeller Center, going to many museums/the UN, and Watching Fireworks on a ferry by the Statue of Liberty)
I know the places i'm going are far different situations but I would like to capture as much of the moments as possible while staying on my budget and staying portable. (It's a family vacation not a photo trip)
2. A portable, inexpensive bag that can also function as a backpack
3. Batteries (Enloops were suggested)
4. SDHC cards (I'm not sure what size or class but I was thinking Transcend 8GB + 4GB class 6)
5. Lens Hood

Any advice would be awesome. When I was trying to figure it out by myself after reading what other people thought I came up with the following:

Tamron 28-80mm and 70-300mm lens ($200)
http://www.amazon.com/28-80mm-70-300mm-Accessory-Pentax-including/dp/B000TCX...4365707&sr=1-3
(Don't know if its good or not)
Bag ($30)
Batteries ($20)
Lens Hood ($30)
SDHC cards ($50)
And then it would leave like $70 for a prime lens or too

That is just what I came up with. I am very new to photography and am very confused on what to get. All I know is where i'm going on my trip and what budget I have.

Thanks in advanced for the advice

05-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You don't want the 28-80 that's for damned sure.

Buy a used 18-250 Tamron or Pentax lens (not 18-200)

Buy everything else from B+H in NYC, I use the Delkin 4gb class 6 cards that cost about $25 a pop.

See sig for examples from various lenses.
05-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just don't think you need long lenses for NYC.
05-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I just don't think you need long lenses for NYC.
Yeah I know not for New York but i'm pretty sure I'll want one for the other places i'm going on my trip

05-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get a fast prime, ideally something like f1,7 or faster. You'll love it for handheld shots by night. I managed to get good shots of the statue from a boat at f2, but barely.

Hoods and batteries are a given, you've got good tips already.

Regarding the bag, I strongly suggest picking a backpack you like and that FITS you, then purchasing an insert to go into it. I got a Domke SLR insert (can be purchased from B&H in New York for about 35$). This insert fits most day packs (in the 35 liters range). That's the best solution I found. If you want pics, search the Field accessories forum for "perfect hiking solution"
05-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there a good place to buy cheap prime lenses or is the best bet to get a used one off here?
05-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here, Ebay, and keh.com.
05-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote

Buy everything else from B+H in NYC, I use the Delkin 4gb class 6 cards that cost about $25 a pop.
I agree on the first count. You can easily skip the 28-80 because on a family vacation, you won't have time to ever switch to it instead of the kit lens, and it's too short the rest of the time. Just the 70-300 is a better idea, and that lens is definitely usable. The gap between 55-70mm is insignificant.

The 18-250 is a great vacation lens solution for this type of trip. It covers a very wide range of possible shots. You can't capture everything but capturing everything is impossible The price might be out of line for the budget and it may be hard to find.

An inexpensive fast 50mm lens is a good option. It also is very small, for an almost pocketable camera. A Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 has incredible optical quality for $50. The A version is easier to use and works bettter with the camera, for maybe $30 more. It's manual focus and stop-down metering, so it's not for everyone or every shot, but when you can use it, it's great.

Another battery option is non-rechargeable lithiums. They allow you to skip the charger, last a bit longer and weigh half as much as rechargeables. I have purchased a set fresh for a trip and used them for months afterward. I'd get a backup set anyway.

Since the K-m doesn't do video, you can look at slower cards like class 4 if it'll allow you to get another card or a larger one.

05-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm going to propose a little different solution. I visit NYC quite a bit and I think wider is better. If you're on a small budget, pick up an inexpensive 18-55 kit lens. This will probably be on your camera around 80% of the time. You can find a longer Sigma or Tamron or older FA for $100 or so. I agree that a fast 50mm or 28mm would be useful as well. You can pick up a manual focus one relatively cheaply here in the marketplace.
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Yeah I know not for New York but i'm pretty sure I'll want one for the other places i'm going on my trip
I'm biased, but unless you're birding, you just don't need long lenses in NY.

Even for the Yankees game.

Forget Granderson trying to make a leap for a ball in center field. The interesting shots are to be found elsewhere in the Stadium.
05-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I am going on a Trip to New York at the end of June.
I now have my newly purchased K-m
In light of both of these statements I will stress one of the standard
pieces of advice, especially with a new camera get to know how to use it on a very
intimate basis.
You don't want to miss an important shot because you have to
read the manual in order to change settings or usage features. Yes, even
usually shooting on full auto there are things you will have to change sometimes.
Remember, the manual is a book now not just a pamphlet and not easy to
carry around or to find how to do something quickly.
Since you are going in only a couple of weeks TAKE PICTURES, TAKE PICTURES,
TAKE PICTURES, N O W !

Also, you probably will be all right at Yankee Stadium, but for other venues
(even that one) always check on-line or with a phone call to see if cameras,
especially DSLRs, are even permitted on-site. There was a county fair in suburban
NJ that I refused to go to with friends because they said no cameras with interchangeable
lenses permitted. No length restrictions, just type. I asked for clarification by
phone and was told actually a 20 year old film camera with a 50mm lens
would not be permitted because it was "interchangeable".

Enjoy NYC ! It is a great place to visit!
05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote

See sig for examples from various lenses.
Please check my signature before buying from B&H

You'll definitely need a wide-angle for NY, as well as a standard lens. The telephoto won't be used all too much, except for during the baseball game you mentioned. 18mm sounds fine, but you might want something a tad wider.

When I went to NY, I used the SuperProgram along with the K 15mm and A 35-105mm. The combo worked out very, very well! The digital equivalents of those focal lengths would be 10mm and 23-70mm. I suppose, therefore, that you should consider the DA 17-70mm!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #13

I have to agree with Adam and the rest. Your kit lens will work just fine and/or get a extra wide angle (no manual lens) . Also extra cards, lithium and rechargeable batteries. Smaller backpack w/insert works great holds camera and extras like suntan lotion. I don't like extra weight or items dangeling from my body. An old saying: SIG=Simple Is Good - Its more important enjoy your vacation because in the end all we have is our memories. Remember, before you get on the boat to Liberty or Ellis Island they will search you just like the airports do.

Last edited by Kaufeetime; 05-20-2010 at 07:50 PM.
05-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
I have to agree with Adam and the rest. Your kit lens will work just fine and/or get a extra wide angle (no manual lens) . Also extra cards, lithium and rechargeable batteries. Smaller backpack w/insert works great holds camera and extras like suntan lotion. I don't like extra weight or items dangeling from my body. An old saying: SIG=Simple Is Good - Its more important enjoy your vacation because in the end all we have is our memories. Remember, before you get on the boat to Liberty or Ellis Island they will search you just like the airports do.
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Any more specific lenses that fit into mu budget would also be very helpful. And when you say no manual lens do you mean don't get any of the older prime lenses?

Last edited by Chriswirth930; 05-21-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Wrong Punctuation
05-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Any more specific lenses that fit into mu budget would also be very helpful. And when you say no manual lens do you mean don't get any of the older prime lenses?
The thing is you have no budget. The 18-55 is fine but whilst 300 is overkill having somethign like 75, 125 etc is handy.

Hence, get a used 18-250 as it solves all your problems. This is not the place to start learning how to use manual primes, NYC is a freakin zoo so just strap on the 18-250 and be done with it. if you had the cvash i'd say add a 10-20 or 12-24 but that blows your budget to smitherines.

Just get the 18-250, jump on the plane, head to B+H and pick up the accessories you need.