Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

screw mount lenses

I recently acquired a super multi coated takumar 3.5 28mm lens and I was curious as what adapter to get to attach it to my K-X. Thanks.

05-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't buy anything except the Genuine Pentax adapter.
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi,

you need something like this.

This is a genuine Pentax adapter. You may see it referred to as M42 adapter. It will allow you to mount M42 (screwmount) lenses to your camera.
Keep in mind there are tons of aftermarket units out there. Some may be good, some are bad, some are worst and some are scary. Not all aftermarket adapters will allow you to focus to infinity. Not all aftermarket adapters are easy to attach-detach. Some may require a tool. I've heard way too many horror stories so I went with the genuine Pentax unit.

Thanks,
05-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll definitely being going with the genuine pentax adapter.

05-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I've heard way too many horror stories so I went with the genuine Pentax unit.

Thanks,
Lets not forget the infamous m42/PK adapter too(simple, cheap(5 dollars) and very effective). Though you don't get focus too infinity with it(close, but no cigar).

05-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a third-party adapter for my K10D. It looks just like the genuine Pentax unit and does allow infinity focus. I have never had any trouble with it.

Originally, it required a tool to remove, although you could remove it with almost any straight metal piece, such as a knife, screwdriver or paper clip. You just have to reach in and push the little flat metal spring clip back.

Ultimately, I removed the spring clip and leave it semi-permanently mounted to the only M42 lens I use on the K10D, my old Super Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 from my Spotmatic. By doing this, I have essentially turned the lens into a k-mount lens. Friction is more than enough to keep the lens mounted securely to the camera. I have never felt that there was the slightest danger of the lens falling off.

Some people have gone so far as to drill a small hole or machine a slot in the lens base, to mate with the lens locking pin. I have not done that. I don't think its really necessary.

I agree, though, that you can't go wrong with the genuine Pentax article.
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MitchellScott Quote
I recently acquired a super multi coated takumar 3.5 28mm lens and I was curious as what adapter to get to attach it to my K-X. Thanks.
Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax Mount Adapter K (M Screwmount to Bayonet) Lens Reviews

Still available new AFAIK. Only the genuine adapter allows focusing at infinity.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Only the genuine adapter allows focusing at infinity.
While I am a proponent of buying the genuine adapter the first time, since it is cheaper than first buying a bargain adapter and ending up replacing it, I must say that there are third party adapters which allow for infinity focus. I used to to a Roxsen, which also had the benefit of being easily removed with just a fingernail (something many swear only the genuine Pentax adapter can do).

05-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
... Only the genuine adapter allows focusing at infinity.

Not true. Lots of third-party adapters allow infinity focus. I have one.

SOME third-party adapters, especially the really cheap ones, have the large flange that adds a mm or so to the thickness and prevents infinity focus. The one shown by JohnBee is one such adapter.

My third-party adapter looks exactly like the genuine Pentax and it does allow infinity focus. Mine fits entirely inside the lens mount opening on the camera. There is no flange, as in JohnBee's photo.

I think it is probably true that the genuine Pentax adapter is probably machined much more accurately than some of the third-party ones, even the ones that allow infinity focus. This is probably the source of the trouble that some have had with non-Pentax adapters.
05-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Once you have the adapter, eBay becomes your playground!
05-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Once you have the adapter, eBay becomes your playground!
Just don't let your better half know.....

Ira, I note that you have the MIR 37/2.8, how do you rate this?
05-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Just don't let your better half know.....

Ira, I note that you have the MIR 37/2.8, how do you rate this?
I haven't played with it enough to make a decision, and mine is M39 mount (or is it 37?) and had to buy an adapter to M42.

I got the one that has the "Grand Prix/Brussels" on it.

I just got a Helios 44-2 that I am VERY happy with one so far,
05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I just got a Helios 44-2 that I am VERY happy with one so far,
How did you solve the "wobble" or is that not a problem?
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How did you solve the "wobble" or is that not a problem?
1) It's a tiny wobble, and I haven't attempted any fix yet. There's a fix listed in the Soviet Lens Club, but I really didn't pay attention to it. It looks to me like it's just a matter of putting a piece or two of duck tape on the base of the lens, but maybe I'm wrong.

2) You only notice the wobble when changing the aperture, especially because it's so stiff. (Mine anyway.) However, as a preset lens, I got a feeling I'm going to wind up just setting my aperture to a fixed value most of the time anyway with this one, and keeping the stop-down ring open for focusing, and turning to stop down. The ring is real smooth and turns freely, so no problem there.

3) What I'm seeing so far is that aside from the speed, it's real close to my Super Tak 50 1.4--and I got this one for 14 bucks!!! It might even be sharper.