Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x with Sigma lens

Hello,
I just got a Pentax K-x and need to know if I can use my old Sigma Mini-zoom 39-80 lens on it. It fits my Canon EOS slr and in tiny letters on the lens it say it's made for Nikon. Is it worth getting some kind of adapter or should I just buy a new lens. The K-x came with the 18-55 but I really want a zoom lens.
Thanks!

05-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-55 is a zoom lens

If it's a canon-mount lens, it won't fit Pentax, and getting an adapter would be a waste, especially if it's an AF lens. If it's a screwmount or manual lens, adapting it would be more feasible, but I don't know the whereabouts of that. Could you post more information about this lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I guess I meant a "zoomier" zoom! Actually the sigma doesn't fit the canon either. Not sure where it came from.... However, I do have a Canon zoom EF 80-200 1:4.5-5.6 II. Can I make that fit my K-x?
05-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No, you can't. And now I'm going to quote someone on another forum:

QuoteQuote:
Why should you, anyway? Pentax has made better lenses than that
If you'd like a zoom in that range, consider the Pentax DA 50-200mm (it's even weather resistant) (see here: Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Lens Reviews) or the F 70-210mm (see here: Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Lens Reviews).

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"Cause I am trying to save money! I would love to buy the Pentax 50-200 but....is there a third-party lens that I could buy from ebay? What about a Vivitar zoom 70-210 mm F4-5.6 KA?
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check here: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

Adam

05-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pinkphish Quote
"Cause I am trying to save money! I would love to buy the Pentax 50-200 but....is there a third-party lens that I could buy from ebay? What about a Vivitar zoom 70-210 mm F4-5.6 KA?
I agree with trying to save money, but in the world of lenses, it means sacrificing quality. Big time.

Also, unless the lens is very special, the balance sheet for cost and value doesn't make it worthwhile for a questionable, major conversion.

So save money...keep on saving it...to buy the good stuff.
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You should have bought the 2 lenses kit , the second lens was costing less than any adapter you will find in the market

05-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are quite a few (very , very, very many, actually) existing threads talking about the various inexpensive telephoto lenses (telephoto is the word you are looking for here, BTW, not zoom). The standard options are the 50-200 and the Tamron & Sigma 70-300's. Check out those many, many existing threads here and in the lens forum, also check the reivews, and decide for yourself. They are all fine lenses for the price and each has its fans. Note that any significantly cheaper lenses like the one you ask about are manual focus and because you can't set the focal length accurately in the SR menu, SR won't be as effective. I'd avoid those.
05-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mate 50-200 is like $100 used in as new condition. Screaming bargain.
05-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look on eBay and here. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Quantaray, all sold 70-210mm range zoom lenses. As you are a beginner, I would recommend that you get one for Pentax Auto Focus, not manual focus. You can always manual focus an AF lens. I saw a Sigma 70-210 AF go for $39.00 recently. Set a budget for yourself, and keep watching ebay and here, something will turn up. These old lenses are just as good as new ones for learning composition and exposure. Be advised, these old lenses may not as sharp as the new lenses sold today, but they do work and they take a better picture than the one you didn't take because you didn't have a telephoto. In short, an old lens will allow you to learn your camera while you save up for a better one, and when you do get a better lens you can sell the old one on ebay and get most of money back.