Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Hood for Pentax-FA 43mm

I bought a new Pentax-FA from Henry's of Canada but it did not come with a hood. 2 questions:

1. Does this lens need a hood?
2. Can anyone advise me on a replacement hood for a Pentax-FA 43mm?

Pentax Online webstore sells the official hood for $64.95 (ouch) but only in silver (double ouch, I need black). I can't find the official hood anywhere else. B&H Photo has some aftermarket hoods for cheaper. Do you think any of these hoods would be an acceptable replacement?

If it makes any difference, I'm using this lens on a K-x.

05-22-2010, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. No lens requires a hood, but it's nice to have. Hoods generally increase contrast and prevent flare. However, you might also be interested in reading this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/47414-about-lens-hoods-important.html
2. MH-RA 49mm is the part number you're looking for; I'm sorry to hear that your lens didn't come with one, as this is a dedicated hood! I'm not sure about specific aftermarket hoods, but a folding one designed for the FA 50/1.4 should do the trick as long as you're using digital (because of the crop factor; FA lenses are otherwise full-frame).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
That's what I needed to know. Thanks.
05-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I am not trying to "stir up trouble" but Adorama and B&H both show that this lens comes with a hood but Henry's and Pentaximaging says it's not included. I wonder if this is something that Pentax used to do but has now stopped.

05-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your FA43 is brand new, it should come with the hood.
05-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
If your FA43 is brand new, it should come with the hood.
Indeed, and always.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
The lens was brand new in box. I thought it would come with a hood but the top of the pentax box lists it as an optional accessory. As a previous post said, Pentax online store says it is not included.

05-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just about any 49mm hood should work if it's not so long that it causes vignetting. I have a mix of hoods for my standard lenses including Pentax and aftermarket metal hoods, rubber folding hoods, and stacks of empty filter rings. The empty filter rings were probably the cheapest - I bought a stack of used UV filters from a local camera store for ~20 cents each and pulled the glass from them, with 4 or 5 stacked to get a decent depth.
05-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Something is not right. All Pentax Limited lenses have been sold with hoods and caps included for years. Have Pentax changed the policy? This is not a cheap lens. Also, B&H still list it with the hood included. I would be very pixxed if the hood is optional now. But just in case you might be mistaken, the hood came with this lens is super tight on the lens. Some might think it's fixed.

http://www.pentax.ca/digital/digital_slr/da_lenses/35mm_lenses/auftofocus_limited.php
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Something is not right. All Pentax Limited lenses have been sold with hoods and caps included for years. Have Pentax changed the policy? This is not a cheap lens. Also, B&H still list it with the hood included. I would be very pixxed if the hood is optional now. But just in case you might be mistaken, the hood came with this lens is super tight on the lens. Some might think it's fixed.

Pentax Canada - 35mm SLR Lenses - Autofocus Limited

Mine came with a hood (from B&H). The 43ltd is the only FA Ltd with a Removable hood and a press on cap. The others, the 31 and 77 both have them built in.

05-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Interesting that the Canada Pentax site lists that it comes with a hood. The US site only shows it as an add-on:
PentaxWebstore smcP FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited (Black)

My lens came with 2 caps and a soft case. Unless the hood is tiny, my lens does not have one. Here is a picture:

I'd be curious to know if someone that got a hood with their 43mm, does their box list the hood as an optional accessory like mine:
05-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Mine came with a hood (from B&H). The 43ltd is the only FA Ltd with a Removable hood and a press on cap. The others, the 31 and 77 both have them built in.
I was about to buy from B&H for $570, but then I saw an auction for a new one on Ebay from Henrys. I picked it up for $490 shipped which seemed like a great deal at the time. The deal is not looking quite as great now. I could buy the hood from pentax for $65 and still come out slightly ahead. It's a bit annoying though. Pentax shouldn't nickle and dime on the limiteds. I'll just buy a rubber hood from B&H.
05-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well, I'm an idiot. The hood was jammed into the front cap. When I first got the lens I pulled on the cap but it didn't budge. So then I started twisting it and it unscrewed off. I just assumed it was a screw cap. Thanks to the earlier poster who said it can be on there really tight. I just needed to pull harder.
05-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I used a 49mm collapsible rubber hood with mine. Worked better than the hood supplied with the lens. Dave
05-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neildo Quote
Well, I'm an idiot. The hood was jammed into the front cap. When I first got the lens I pulled on the cap but it didn't budge. So then I started twisting it and it unscrewed off. I just assumed it was a screw cap. Thanks to the earlier poster who said it can be on there really tight. I just needed to pull harder.
LOL..
I know how it feels. When I first got my FA 43 Ltd, I opened it so carefully knowing that's my first & so expensive Limited lens. When I tried to look at the front lens, I couldn't pull out the lens cap either. It was so tightly snugged with the hood.
I guess you're not the only one.

Glad that you solve the problem. Go enjoy the lens. It's still my best lens so far even after 3 years after that and owning some great Pentax lenses.