Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

weather proof?

i know that the k20d is weather proof, but is the 18-55 weather proof too? so can i go out in the rain and take photos as the rain hits the camera? can i use my on camera flash while the rain hits it?
i ask this because i was at the university and i saw a man with his nikon d90 taken photos out on the rain with a off hotshoe flash, while getting rain hit on directly. now i know taht d90 is weather proof because i reserached it becuase i sort of wanted it. but is taht the same with the k20d?
and also, i think the answer is no but is the FA50mm f1.4 weather proof?

05-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only weather resistant Pentax lenses are in the DA* line (DA* 55mm, DA* 16-50, etc.) or have WR in the name (DA 18-55mm WR, DA 50-200mm WR). Unless you have this version: Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens Reviews your kit lens is not weather resistant. The FA 50 definitely is not weather sealed.
05-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Steinback is correct that the only officially WR Pentax lenses ar the DA* and WR lenses. For example, there are at least 3 versions of the 18-55mm kit lens: DA 18-55mm, DA 18-55mm L and 18-55mm WR. The latter was released about the same time as the K-7 (I believe) and is weather resistant.

However, some other Pentax and 3rd party lenses (eg metallic primes) are very sturdy and would be very close to WR. See the story and photos of https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93367-k-7-steve-kr...gua-6962m.html (He took the DA18-250mm to some very rough place.). My Voigtlander 58mm is built like a tank and I take it often outdoor to rough places (rain, mud, storm) and have had no problem.

Let me add for completeness that WR does not mean waterproof. WR is more like some form of insurance against accidents and incidents. Most Pentaxians would regularly clean/wipe carefully the camera and lens if it becomes wet or dusty, even WR camera and lenses.

Hope that the comment will help...

PS: the Nikon D90 is not rated WR. I looked very carefully at the seals, doors, connectors of the body when I was considering it... The D90 is definitely not WR ,and would not take a D90 to places where I take my K-7.

Last edited by hcc; 05-23-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Typos
05-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
rkt

from what I have read, i would agree that the D90 is not weather resistent... for crop-sensor, only D300/D300s mention it as a specification...

the K20D is... and if you add a WR or DA* lens then you should have a pretty "resistent" package... but I would not consider having a flash on... I dont think the hot-shoe area is "sealed" in any way once you remove the cover and attach a flash... and also if any of the flashes claim any WR sealings...

and, it would be interesting to know if the on-board flash (when popped up) still offers the same WR levels as when closed down...

05-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rkt Quote
from what I have read, i would agree that the D90 is not weather resistent... for crop-sensor, only D300/D300s mention it as a specification...

the K20D is... and if you add a WR or DA* lens then you should have a pretty "resistent" package... but I would not consider having a flash on... I dont think the hot-shoe area is "sealed" in any way once you remove the cover and attach a flash... and also if any of the flashes claim any WR sealings...

and, it would be interesting to know if the on-board flash (when popped up) still offers the same WR levels as when closed down...
Pentax doesn't have any WR flashes. I don't know if anyone else does. An amateur sealing effort would probably work (plastic bag and tape) as long as you didn't put something directly front of the flash lens.

Looking at my K-7, if I pop up the flash, I don't see any seals under it. It looks to me like the flash is already sealed, so it makes no difference whether it's up or down. (All the other openings have seals that are obvious.) If I'm right about the onboard flash, the Pentax wireless system should work. It would be easier to keep an off-camera flash out of the weather.
05-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The D90 is not weather proof. It probably has tighter construction some lower end cameras, but I certainly wouldn't shoot it in a heavy down pour. As mentioned above, Pentax offers two lines of sealed lenses -- the * lenses and the WR lenses.

Whether or not you really need a sealed camera body depends on what you do. Most camera bodies will stand up to a little rain, but heavy down pours will do them in. I do a fair amount of hiking and both my K7 and K20 have stood up well to the elements, but I had a K100 prior that died when I got caught in an unexpected down pour.