Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Can't do Firmware Upgrade w/Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC w/Adapter

Hi, I put a Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC in my new Pentax k-x, using an adapter, and am unable to do a firmware update with it. The camera formats the SDHC, and Windows recognizes it when I plug the camera in via USB, but absolutely nothing happens when I press the Menu button and turn the camera on - just the usual screen showing the present 1.0 firmware. Is it likely because of the adapter?

TIA!

EDIT: It's a Class 6 card, if that's useful to know....

Last edited by imno007; 05-26-2010 at 10:36 AM.
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you putting the file into the root directory or into the DCIM directory? Firmware update only works when the firmware is at the root directory.

Thank you
Russell
05-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Are you putting the file into the root directory or into the DCIM directory? Firmware update only works when the firmware is at the root directory.

Thank you
Russell
Hi, thanks for responding. I'm putting it in the root - although I did try putting it in DCIM after that failed. Neither worked. I've taken the card out, put it back in, reformatted the card three different times and tried it with the bin file in the root. Somehow I don't think trying it again will be the time I get lucky.
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, never mind, problem solved. Camera is updating as I write this. Turns out I was using the wrong firmware update. I thought I had downloaded the update for the k-x, but it turns out it was the one for the k-m. Doh! Sorry to waste your time.

05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad that you resolved the problem. And welcome to the forum that is a good place to share problems and issues, as well as success and enjoyment.

Last edited by hcc; 05-27-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typos
05-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Glad that you resolved the problem. And welcome to the forum that is a good place to share problmes and issues, as well as success and enjoyment.

Thanks. I've only taken a few test shots so far, but I'm impressed by the quality, even with the kit lens. Took a few shots of a tiny fly out in the back yard and was surprised how well the pictures came out using the default settings.
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
...........Sorry to waste your time.
Welcome to the forum. Neither asking for nor giving help is ever a waste of anybody's time.