Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Marumi DHG PL or Helipan Linear PL

Hello everyone,

I bought Pentax K-x few days ago and I'm extremely pleased with it

This is my first SLR camera so I didn't use filters before. I often take shots of the sea and landscapes so I'd like to buy a polarising filter.

I have read many threads about linear and circular PL filters and now I'm in a small doubt. In my city there are not many linear filters and I'm in a hurry. I have found only Heliopan's linear and between CPLs I think Marumi is the best value. Prices are the same (~45$)

Which of these two do you recommend? I use kit lens (52mm).

If you recommend CPL, is double-coated version a good investment? Although it seems to me that this Marumi DHG already has some kind of double-coat

Also, is there any effect on performance when using filters? For example, does it take longer for AF to work or something like that? And the last one - how long does it take to mount a filter and how hard is it to remove it?

Enough questions Thank you in advance!

05-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crontax Quote
Hello everyone,

I bought Pentax K-x few days ago and I'm extremely pleased with it

This is my first SLR camera so I didn't use filters before. I often take shots of the sea and landscapes so I'd like to buy a polarising filter.

I have read many threads about linear and circular PL filters and now I'm in a small doubt. In my city there are not many linear filters and I'm in a hurry. I have found only Heliopan's linear and between CPLs I think Marumi is the best value. Prices are the same (~45$)

Which of these two do you recommend? I use kit lens (52mm).

If you recommend CPL, is double-coated version a good investment? Although it seems to me that this Marumi DHG already has some kind of double-coat

Also, is there any effect on performance when using filters? For example, does it take longer for AF to work or something like that? And the last one - how long does it take to mount a filter and how hard is it to remove it?

Enough questions Thank you in advance!
You really may as well have the CPL. I've heard varying opinions on some Pentax DSLRs getting along fine with linear polarizers, but haven't bothered to try, myself, and haven't heard anything about the K-x in that regard.

Marumi's a good enough brand, (I forget how the different grades of them are labeled, but for the price, that one ought to do you fine for now,) particularly if you just have the kit lens. Since you're in a hurry, go with that if you're in a *big* hurry, it's probably what I'd do.

As for performance, you may find that AF is a bit slower when it's dimmer, just cause polarizers take up some light. But people tend to mostly use polarizers in the bright. (Not that you shouldn't try one on a wet day sometime. )
05-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Apparently it makes no difference to AF - that's what most things I've read say. They don't say one is better than the other, in terms of what it actually does to your photos.
05-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

...Also, is there any effect on performance when using filters? For example, does it take longer for AF to work or something like that? And the last one - how long does it take to mount a filter and how hard is it to remove it?
Pentax has said that linear polarizers do not bother their AF sensors. On other systems, circular polarizers are required to avoid AF problems. Internet advice often recommends circular polarizers because of the problems with the other guys.

With either polarizer type, less light gets through the filter. It can affect AF speed in extreme cases, but that's kind of theoretical. If conditions were at the point where the filter made it dark enough for AF to struggle, the conditions would be wrong for using a polarizer.

Using the filter is a little fussy, especially if you try to coordinate it with a lens hood. Once I mount one, I tend to just leave it on. The biggest trouble I have is with my polarized prescription sunglasses.

05-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers!

I'll go for Marumi then, hopefully I'll find it somewhere since there aren't many in stock here.
10-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
After using Marumi CPL filter for few months, I want to share my thoughts here.

Since I'm not experienced with filter, maybe I'm missing something, so feel free to advise.

My goal was to increase contrast when taking photographs on a sunny day, to decrease light reflection from water etc. Marumi CPL accomplishes this, contrast is great and it is noticeable that the sky color is better than without this filter (more blue). Taking photos of sea is also more pleasant, since there is no that much reflection.

However, not everything is so nice. I have noticed considerable vignetting effect. There are photos attached to this post which demonstrate it. They are cropped, but not edited and they contain original EXIF data.

These example photos are all taken with auto mode. When I shoot with manual mode, things are slightly better, but there is no significant difference.

Since I tend not to remove the filter, it seems to me that vignetting is the worst 1-2 before the sunset (photos "vignetting-sky" and "vignetting-sky-2").

Am I doing something wrong or it is a problem related to filter construction?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Using poarizers is a wee bit tricky, since the effect increases as the angle from light source to camera to subject increases, with the polarizer effect being maxed out at 90.
You will notice this especially with wide angles and sky shots, where the sky is darker at one side of the picture or the other, or darker through the middle or some such.
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is the worst when the sun is around 90, but shouldn't it then produce lighter right corner and darker (blue) left? Of course, if the sun is on the right side.

If you look at the "vignetting-sky-2.jpg" you will notice that the middle is dark and both of the corners are lighter (sun was on my right)?! That is definitely the most annoying behaviour for me.

Photo with white background unfortunately demonstrates that this filter produces vignetting effect, since the sun was behind my back and quite low and therefore not that relevant to the situation. What bothers me that I can't figure out how are these black "stains" created because there are some photos without them, although they are shot in the same conditions (sun behind my back and clear blue sky).

06-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Re: filters

Have you played around any more with the cpl filters? I'm looking at getting one and would like More of your advice.

Pros and cons?
Is it worth $35?

After using Marumi CPL filter for few months, I want to share my thoughts here.

Since I'm not experienced with filter, maybe I'm missing something, so feel free to advise.

My goal was to increase contrast when taking photographs on a sunny day, to decrease light reflection from water etc. Marumi CPL accomplishes this, contrast is great and it is noticeable that the sky color is better than without this filter (more blue). Taking photos of sea is also more pleasant, since there is no that much reflection.
06-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Another option to CPL or PL is a graduated filter if you just want to darken or increase contrast of the sky so the darkening would be even and gradated towards the bottom.