Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the DA 55-300 is a very good lens for the money--the optics are really very good and not only are the better lenses much more expensive, they're also heavy and bulky.

As a wildlife lens it's a bit limited: slowish and short (and not up to a TC >1.4x.) You need good light and you need to get close so you'll have to pick your opportunities and be stealthy.

It is wonderfully compact and portable though so it's unmatched for long treks and touring, imo.

05-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing, trevorgout, that a nice pic. GerryL, yes, the DA L would be cheaper, but I've decided that I'll splurge a little extra for the DA version. I've seen it selling for as low as $350 new, which isn't a whole lot more than the L version, so what the heck.

trevorgrout
06-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
Thanks for sharing, trevorgout, that a nice pic. GerryL, yes, the DA L would be cheaper, but I've decided that I'll splurge a little extra for the DA version. I've seen it selling for as low as $350 new, which isn't a whole lot more than the L version, so what the heck.

trevorgrout
Yes, you'll be more satisfied too getting the one you really like rather than having it always at the back of your mind that you should've gotten the higher version instead.
Congrats on your purchase.
Enjoy!
06-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Yes, you'll be more satisfied too getting the one you really like rather than having it always at the back of your mind that you should've gotten the higher version instead.
Congrats on your purchase.
Enjoy!

Yes, that's the same thing I thought when I chose that 42" hdtv over the 37" two days ago. I only wish I didn't feel like crying when I had to pay, lol. You're right, though!

06-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen a couple of the 55-300 pass through the Maketplace here in the last few weeks. A used lens will save some....
06-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Just to mention, I have the Sigma 70-300. It came with the package deal when I bought my K10D. I use it a lot and it has performed well for me. From seeing the posted shots and other peoples comments, I would buy the 55-300 if doing it over today. However, I don't think it's that much of an upgrade to make me dump the Sigma.
I had the APO version of the Sigma 70-300 (supposedly the better version), and the Pentax 50-200. Put them both on the shelf after getting the Pentax 55-300. Later, when (trying to) sell the shelf-sitters, I surprisingly found the Sigma died an aperture-blade death without a whimper.

Recently upgraded the IQ with a Tamron 70-200, but as mentioned, even that (shorter) lens weighs about 3-4X as much as the Pentax, has about 3X the bulk, and is just over 2X the cost. I like the Pentax but I am using it much less.

For the under-$350 lens, I don't think you can beat the Pentax 55-300.
06-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Newbie Here.

Whats the difference between the DA and the DA L ???
06-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jester Quote
Newbie Here.

Whats the difference between the DA and the DA L ???
Plastic lens mount for DA L, not metal as the non-L version possesses. A minor durability factor.

Price, DA L is less.

DA L ships with no lens hood (a grievous error IMNSHO).

Identical optics and everything else.

Question: Do these show up in EXIF as different lenses? Just curious.