Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #1

Ordering Pentax K-X Today

I had a few questions. I will be getting the Pentax k-x two lens kit with 50-200. I have looked just about everywhere you can. Maybe someone can help me out. For example on B&H photo they have AL after the lens for the kit. Pentax has DA L. I just want to be sure I am getting the right stuff. I would like it to be the newest kit lens if possible if someone can show me or recommend a place would be great. I am also looking for a camera bag that would hold the camera and one lens. Thanks if you can can help me out. I am seeing the price anywhere from 723 down to 623. I will check back today.

05-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will not get disappointed by the K-x.

There are 3 versions of the DA50-200: the DA50-200, DA-L 50-200 and DA55-200 WR. The latter is weather resistant (WR) and is especially designed for the K-7/K-20 cameras that are WR. (Since the K-x isnot WR, you do not neeed a WR lens.) The DA50-200 is the basic lens and DA-L is cheaper version with the same optics.

The DA-L lenses were released with the K-x to lower the overall price.
05-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
So do all the kits comes with the DAL? Like for example is this what I would want to get.

Pentax | K-x Digital SLR with 18-55mm and 50-200mm Zoom | 16201

or Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED Lenses (Black): Electronics

Are both of them the same? So when it list AL is that DAL for example?
05-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

From what I understand All the Kits will come with DA L which is the most basic level.

There is a better KX kit out there though. It has a 55-300 instead of the 55-200. It does seem a bit trickier to come by right now, you may need to look around.

Walmart is out of stock and so is Dell

Walmart.com: Pentax K-x Black 12.4MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-300mm Zoom Lenses: Digital Cameras

Pentax PTX 15801 Black 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm Lens : Camera, Photo & Video | Dell

I have not bought at this store, but they have it in stock.
Kx 12.4 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera w/18-55 & 55-300 Lens Kit (Black) K-x at DBuys

Amazon has it for a great price:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-55-300mm/dp/B002OEBTCS

B&H has it for slightly more the amazon.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651673-REG/Pentax_15801_K_x_Digital_SLR_with.html

Last edited by drew39k; 05-28-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added info
05-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought the kit with the 55-300 few weeks ago. I am very happy. All kits come with the DA L

The real spec is here on the Pentax site. Some retailer are playing game putting less details

PentaxWebstore K-x Dual Lens Kit Black w/ DA L 18-55, 55-300 Lens
05-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
All kits come with the DA L
Let me just say that in Germany I recently bought a double kit K-x with 50-200, where 50-200 was DA (not DA-L). However, this was not a single-box kit, but 50-200 was in separate box. I got a standard double-kit price though. I don't know if this was some special offer by this particular seller.
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJsnyder Quote
I had a few questions. I will be getting the Pentax k-x two lens kit with 50-200. I have looked just about everywhere you can. Maybe someone can help me out. For example on B&H photo they have AL after the lens for the kit. Pentax has DA L. I just want to be sure I am getting the right stuff. I would like it to be the newest kit lens if possible if someone can show me or recommend a place would be great. I am also looking for a camera bag that would hold the camera and one lens. Thanks if you can can help me out. I am seeing the price anywhere from 723 down to 623. I will check back today.
I think the kit on Amazon that was linked to above is probably the one you'd want. That's a good price, and I believe the ED/DA version of the 55-300, which is advertized there, is the one you'd want - better than the DAL version. It has the quick-shift feature, which allows you to adjust the focus without switching the body to MF. (One of the regulars here can correct me if I've just said anything incorrect!)

I've just got the k-x myself and have been really impressed with it so far. I haven't had a chance to play with it nearly as much as I'd like to, too busy with work, but the pictures I have taken, even at default settings, have been wonderfully detailed.

05-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Forum Member

I think the kit on Amazon that was linked to above is probably the one you'd want. That's a good price, and I believe the ED/DA version of the 55-300, which is advertized there, is the one you'd want - better than the DAL version. It has the quick-shift feature, which allows you to adjust the focus without switching the body to MF. (One of the regulars here can correct me if I've just said anything incorrect!) You'd probably want to double-check with that merchant to make sure it really is the DA version.

I've just got the k-x myself and have been really impressed with it so far. I haven't had a chance to play with it nearly as much as I'd like to, too busy with work, but the pictures I have taken, even at default settings, have been wonderfully detailed.
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I think that the *L* is the important part on the kit 55-300. It stands for Light (or Lite). What it means is that you get the same optics without the other features. The L lenses (pentax) have plastic mounts, lack focus shift, and do not come with hoods. To add a Pentax hood to the 55-300, costs around $50. Cheaper aftermarkets can be had though. I don't think (but could be wrong) Pentax has done an L version of the 50-200 but they Have done a WR version. They have also done 2 versions of the Non-WR version.

I'm going to echo a lot of the advice you're likely to get. Go for the 55-300 if you can swing the extra change. 200mm is never enough in my opinion.

Good luck.
05-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #10

Original Poster
I am wanting the kit with the 55-200 not the 300 by the way.
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In the FWIW category, I got my K-x two lens kit (with the 200mm) through Amazon Warehouse Deals at a huge discount. These are returns that someone sent back for any number of reasons (they're refurbished if there was a problem & sold as 'refurbished'), usually cosmetic issues with a scuff on the camera, or even the camera packaging (some people are really picky :P). If you look at the info on the listing, the issue is usually detailed there.

Here's the 2 lens kit with the 300mm for 643.00 (but they are regularly on here for cheaper)

and here's the 2 lens kit with the 200mm for 571.00 (mine was about 540.00 so often cheaper)

The warehouse deals come with a warranty offer and mine came with all the original cards so I have the Pentax warranty, no problem. If you don't mind what was probably a torn box or a slightly blemished camera body, this is a fantastic way to get the K-x and save money
05-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Forum Member

I am wanting the kit with the 55-200 not the 300 by the way.

You might want to rethink that. If you decide you want the 55-300 DA in the future, it's gonna probably cost you $150 more to buy it alone than what it'd cost you if you can get it with that kit. Well, anyway, that's just me reflecting on my own mistake. You very possibly already know you'll never need or want the 300.
05-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
you might want to rethink that. If you decide you want the 55-300 da in the future, it's gonna probably cost you $150 more to buy it alone than what it'd cost you if you can get it with that kit. Well, anyway, that's just me reflecting on my own mistake. You very possibly already know you'll never need or want the 300.
seconding that. Really loudly.
05-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can compare the DAL and DA versions in our database here: Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax DA Series Zoom Lens Reviews and Specifications
Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax DA L Series Zoom Lens Reviews and Specifications

The essential difference is that DAL's are cheaper: they have a plastic bayonet and no quick-shift focusing system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hello. I was wanting the 50-200 as I thought the 300 be too big to take into mlb games to take pictures? It seems from what I read the lens can no longer than 5" in length.