Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Disconnected camera w/out ejecting and now NO USB connection

I think I've managed to screw up my new k-x already - after just three days! I was in a hurry and forgot to eject the camera before disconnecting it from the computer. Now nothing happens when I plug the camera into the computer - I mean nothing, and the camera won't function. Screen on the camera goes dark and nothing works, no buttons function except I can turn it off, and the computer doesn't show the SD card. I tried everything I could think of that might possibly make a difference, including resetting the camera, reformatting the card, using another card - nothing. No problem with the usb ports on the computer. I rebooted the computer and the ports work fine with a couple other devices I plugged in. I also put new batteries in just to be sure I hadn't fallen prey to some really bad timing. Nothing. So do I have to take this thing to the repair shop already?

05-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Whoa, never mind, I guess, seems like the problem has magically solved itself. I rebooted the computer a second time and now the camera suddenly connects. Strange - but I'm a happy camper!!
05-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Problems like you are desceibe are almost always on the computer side, not the camera side, and a reboot almost always cures them. BTW, most people don't use the USB connection but instead a card reader connected to (or in many cases built in) to their computer. Faster and doesn't drain the camera batteries.
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Problems like you are desceibe are almost always on the computer side, not the camera side, and a reboot almost always cures them. BTW, most people don't use the USB connection but instead a card reader connected to (or in many cases built in) to their computer. Faster and doesn't drain the camera batteries.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm not sure if the problem is solved or not. Is the camera supposed to have all its functionality when plugged in via usb, or is the usb connection soley to transfer things to and from the card? I had the camera connected before but just to grab some images off the card. I can't remember if the screen was dark before...

Anyway, at least the card is showing up now and seems to be holding steady. After I made the last post above, the card was disappearing and coming back intermittently until I got a usb error message, but it seems to okay for now.

05-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, and yeah, I probably will just get my universal port connector out in the future, but for now I'd just like to know the camera is working properly. Thanks.
05-28-2010, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
Whoa, never mind, I guess, seems like the problem has magically solved itself. I rebooted the computer a second time and now the camera suddenly connects. Strange - but I'm a happy camper!!
Pentax should maybe include a "Don't Panic" button with the camera. I remember having the exact same problem with my first DSLR. I also had:
  • mysterious rattle when I shake the kit lens
  • bizarre green spot on my images
  • partly loaded images or images with lines across them
  • no aperture reading on top LCD display
  • battery dies immediately
I remember thinking "crap, I have a worthless paperweight now!" every time.

And the fixes:
  • don't do that
  • remove filter
  • discard USB 1.1 card reader and get a new one
  • pay attention to aperture ring when mounting older lens
  • buy Eneloop style or lithium AAs
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome imno007, Just to echo Marc, you will save wear and tear on the batteries, and get MUCH quicker transfers if you use a card reader. As for camera functionality, I don't own the K-x but my K20D's functions are severely limited when it is plugged into a computer. Which btw is another reason to use a card reader. You can get a universal reader for little money or an even smaller dedicated SD reader. I use the dedicated San Disk reader that comes with it's own little tripod stand. I can upload a 8gb card with over 370 raw images in about 3 minutes or so.

NaCl(simple and fast...what more can you want)H2O
05-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Pentax should maybe include a "Don't Panic" button with the camera. I remember having the exact same problem with my first DSLR. I also had:
  • mysterious rattle when I shake the kit lens
  • bizarre green spot on my images
  • partly loaded images or images with lines across them
  • no aperture reading on top LCD display
  • battery dies immediately
I remember thinking "crap, I have a worthless paperweight now!" every time.

And the fixes:
  • don't do that
  • remove filter
  • discard USB 1.1 card reader and get a new one
  • pay attention to aperture ring when mounting older lens
  • buy Eneloop style or lithium AAs
Amen to all of that. Brilliant post!

05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, thanks, guys. Until and if someone tells me differently, I'll just assume that the camera isn't suppose to operate while plugged into the usb (makes me feel better anyway, ha). I do have a universal reader, which I'll use in the future. I didn't like the idea of constantly removing and putting the card back in, but on reflection I see it's definitely better than lugging the camera to and from the computer and plugging in the usb.

It'd be nice to have the AC adapter, but after seeing the price I decided I'd spend the money instead on a Lacrosse charger and some Eneloop batteries.
05-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't believe that the K-x supports tethered shooting, which is using the camera to take pictures while connected to the computer. On the K10D, for example, I can connect to the computer with a USB cable and use the computer to control the operation of the camera. Furthermore, the pictures are uploaded directly to the computer. I don't think you can do that with the K-x, so the USB connection is intended solely to transfer images from the camera to your computer.

A word of caution about card readers. Remember the difference between SD and SDHC cards. SD cards are formatted differently and are limited to 2GB. SDHC cards are formatted with the FAT32 file system and can go as high as 64GB, although no one makes any that large, at the moment. Make sure that your card reader can handle SDHC cards. If you have the documentation for the reader, look for the SDHC logo. This is a trademark, distinct from the SD trademark. Any device that accepts SDHC cards will have that logo somewhere. If you only see the SD logo, it may (probably) only accept 2GB or smaller cards. Do not assume that an SD reader can handle SDHC cards.
05-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
Okay, thanks, guys. Until and if someone tells me differently, I'll just assume that the camera isn't suppose to operate while plugged into the usb (makes me feel better anyway, ha).
As far as I know that's correct. I've never bothered messing with connecting the camera that way, as it is so much slower and less convenient.
05-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies, I'm definitely relieved. Noblepa, yes, the reader I have is definitely good for sdhc. Picked up a cheap but well featured little Koutech unit that gets the job done