Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Upload speeds--DSLR vs compact

I usually shoot at 6 MP size on all my cameras. I have noticed that my compact Fujifilm F-50 uploads 6MP photos to my computer at least three times as fast as 6MP photos from my K-x. Pixel dimensions of Fujifilm for 6MP are 2848x2136; corresponding Pentax size is 3072x2148. The Pentax size is only marginally larger, so I'm just curious as to why it is so dramatically slower to upload in comparison. Anyone know why?

05-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lectrolink Quote
I usually shoot at 6 MP size on all my cameras. I have noticed that my compact Fujifilm F-50 uploads 6MP photos to my computer at least three times as fast as 6MP photos from my K-x. Pixel dimensions of Fujifilm for 6MP are 2848x2136; corresponding Pentax size is 3072x2148. The Pentax size is only marginally larger, so I'm just curious as to why it is so dramatically slower to upload in comparison. Anyone know why?
Are you using a higher quality JPEG setting on the K-x? Less compression means larger files, regardless of resolution. (And if you are using 6Mpix files on the K-x, you definitely want the highest quality setting, because otherwise you will have jpeg artifacts in high-contrast scenes.)

There may also be a slower USB connection -- I don't know. I always take my cards out and copy the data off with a card reader.
05-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Your comment made me look closer at the compact Fuji, and now I see that there are no options for quality at 6MP so it seems logical that the Fuji has a native compression that is greater than the K-x at high quality... I have not tried setting the K-x at anything except highest quality but I suppose if I set it at 1 or 2 stars I could match the rapidity of the compact in uploading.
05-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lectrolink Quote
Your comment made me look closer at the compact Fuji, and now I see that there are no options for quality at 6MP so it seems logical that the Fuji has a native compression that is greater than the K-x at high quality... I have not tried setting the K-x at anything except highest quality but I suppose if I set it at 1 or 2 stars I could match the rapidity of the compact in uploading.
You will find that if you remove the SD card from you K-x and pop it into a card reader, it will upload to your computer much faster than if you hooked up the k-x to your computer.

NaCl(it also saves on k-x battery use)H2O

05-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wouldn't this depend exclusively on USB speed and card speed? Transfer rate isn't dependent on filesize.
05-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wouldn't this depend exclusively on USB speed and card speed? Transfer rate isn't dependent on filesize.
The rate isn't, but of course the total time is.
05-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

The time of transfer of the JPEG file to your computer is a function of the mode of transfer (cable or USB reader), card type and file size.

You should compare "apples and apples". That is, you should do a test with:
- the same card reader,
- the same file size, and
- the same card.

Last edited by hcc; 05-30-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Typo