Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Default File Format

Hi everyone

Greetings from Holland

I have just received my K7 (SDM 17-70mm lens). Great camera and very happy with it so far. Its only been a day by the way, so I am only doing "point and shoot" stuff playing with the zoom. The have not read the manual yet, as I have to download it from the Pentax site.

Now my question. I've seen all the advice with regards to shooting to RAW format. I agree. But, I noticed that on the K7, when I turn it on, I always have to switch manually to RAW, as the default seems to be JPEG. When I switch manually to RAW, then I'm ok. But, if I turn off the camera, it reverts to JPEG at the next "on".

Is there a way to default this to RAW everytime it is switched on?

Cheers
Francis

05-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First read the manual, next read it again and again and again and again ........... Next download the electronic version for easy searching and search for raw. Page 188 should provide you the info.

Welcome to the club, congratulations with the purchase and enjoy it.
05-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I have read that particular page set (188-189...). I can change the file format indeed there. It seems though that I can only save the configuration to default to RAW when it is set to "User" and not on the "Green Zone".

That's fine enough for me. Still extremely happy with the choice I made.

Time to learn to actually take proper photos!!!
05-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Francis.
Indeed there is a wealth of knowledge in the camera's manual.
Once you've got the hang of the modes you use most often, you'll find a new world of photography when you learn about the exposure triad, composition and lighting.

Enjoy your journey.

05-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

The earliest posts guided you to the solution. Note, in addition, that in the Green mode (dial mode Green), the default file format is (Raw - deleted) jpeg 14 Mp automatically. For all other mode, it will be the default mode that you chose.

I encourage you to read the documentation. Yes, it is thick and lenghty. But it is worthwhile because the K-7 is a semi-pro camera with many functions..

Last edited by hcc; 05-30-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typos - See next thread
05-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you mean the default is *JPEG* when in Green mode.
05-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you mean the default is *JPEG* when in Green mode.
Correct (and thanks for the correction): with the K-7, the only file format is JPEG 14 Mp in the Green mode.

05-31-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks folks. I am getting the hang of it. Have been reading the manual too (which I was always planning to do).

Very powerful camera. Need to upskill to match its capabilities