Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-X recommended affordable lenses?

Hello from Maine, USA

My Nikon D40 is getting old with 16,000 clicks - and I have been upset about Nikon's intentional lack of backwards lens compatibility.

I'm seriously considering selling it to buy a Pentax K-X, but I wonder about lenses.

Right now I have :

35/1.8
18-55
and 55-200

I realize Pentax can use any of the manual lenses, and I intend to because I really like manual lenses I have Pentax film cameras and nice lenses

But when I'm shooting in a hurry I like autofocus and I wonder if I'll be able to (approximately) cover those focal lengths affordably.

I saw the 18-55 Pentax lens is super affordable, like $40. But I wonder if the other focal lengths can be gotten (or similar) with autofocus.

I don't want to spend like $500 on one of the "limited" lenses, those are weird to me...

I also wonder if there are autofocus lenses with silent motors like Nikon and Canon, or if they are noisy.

I think I'll have about $700 after I sell my camera with lenses and accessories and come over to the Pentax side with a white K-X camera

I think white cameras are so cool

So yeah I'm thinking about it, I am sore with Nikon screwing it's customers by making their consumer camera bodies unable to meter with their previous lenses. And I really like the look and feature set of the K-X, though I am anxious for a 3rd party battery grip to come out .. I wonder if it will? I read some reviews and see there is a lot of concern about no AF points in the viewfinder - but I shoot with "center focus point and recompose" for every shot, film or digital, so I don't think it will be a problem. We'll see

I really enjoy my Pentax P3n film SLR and I'm confident I'll get a kick out of the K-X.

What do you guys think? What do you recommend?

Thanks
Craig

05-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have always considered Pentax to have a great range in prices of lenses available as one of their advantages. A variety of lenses available either new or used in a wide price range and even a bit lower than the other two major competitors. Just look around this forum's Marketplace and the lens review section. A great variety of lenses for a variety of quality levels priced in a wide range but most still less costly than Nikon and Canon.
There are some good deals to be found buying used lenses from forum members here as long as you are cautious and do a bit of your homework. Craigslist, Amazon and even B&H can be helpful and always considered if you ask me.

I hope you love your K-x!
05-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get the K-X with the 18-55 and 55-300mm kit. Finding an afordable fast 35mm will be tough, unless you go for the manual versions (they still go over $100).

Good luck

Deni
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You might be interested in checking out the pentax lens listings here (for the older lenses): Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
A-z
Forum Member

I got myself the K-x with 18-55 and 50-200 kit. Can't fault the camera and the 18-55 is great, but if i did it again i'd get the 55-300 instead - for a bit more money it's much better than the 50-200. I also picked up a manual 35mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.7 on ebay for 30 each which are both great.

Pentax do make lenses with quiet motors - SDM, and also Sigma and Tamron offer their versions, but i've never tried them. So AF is pretty loud and slow compared to the quick Canikon lenses but it's not a problem for me
05-30-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies fellas
05-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There are some who would poo-pooh the Pentax 50-200mm kit lens due mainly to a rather lukewarm photozone.de review -
however I have that lens bought on the basis of an outstanding review in Popular Photography of 50-200 as the Samsung clone -
the 50-200 SQF chart -

Although the 55-300 zoom is also very good and gets a better review on photozone.de - it gets about the same rating SQF on PopPhoto - so I would hazard a guess for most of us just looking at photos one probably would not see any difference in quality.

So unless one really needs the reach between 200-300mm (35mm equiv to 301-450mm) then the 50-200 Zoom is more than just a match -
and there is a savings of about $100........
The 50-200 is also quite a bit more compact - which actually turns out for me to be quite important.
just another small point is that the 50-200 is slightly wider at 50mm compared to 55mm - this may not seem much until one has the longer zoom lens on the K-x and wished the wider 18-55 kit lens was on....
then 50 compared to 55 makes a LOT of difference

examples of 50-200mm shots:
on K100D -

on K-x

(All should have EXIF attached - caveat: PhotoBucket can mysteriously drop metadata)

For more examples on both the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses on the K-x please see this thread:

Kx in Use
05-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
I also picked up a manual 35mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.7 on ebay for 30 each which are both great.
Can you be specific about the 50mm 1.7 lens? I would love to get one for my KX, but not sure which one would work on my KX for this price.

05-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bullwhip Quote
Can you be specific about the 50mm 1.7 lens? I would love to get one for my KX, but not sure which one would work on my KX for this price.
He's talking about the M 50 f/1.7

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews

A fully manual lens that works in M mode with stop down metering on the K-x. They run about $30-40 on fleabay. It was the kit lens before the A 50 f/2 so you can find them cheap.
05-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Inactive Account

it's fantastic!
HIM discography - abcmuzic.com

Last edited by Gerbam; 07-02-2010 at 07:09 AM.
05-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since this question is about lenses, not cameras, it' not really appropriate here. Either the lens forum or the beginner's forum 0 the latter being an appropriate choice because it's such a common question among newcomers. I'm moving it there.

If it says it's for pentax, it works on the K-x. If it's *very* old and says m42 or screwmount, it requires an adapter. If it says it has AF, then it will AF on the K-x.

Although you say you aren't interested in a Limited, you should be aware that these are *amazing* lenses, and the DA40/2.8 is "only" $350 and is probably the closest match for the 35/1.8 you have. Not quite as large a maximum aperture of course, but with the much better high ISO of the K-x and SR built in to the camera, it will probably feel like a step *up*, not down. And while it does not have the ultrasonic motor, it's about the fastest focusing lens for Pentax there is just because of it's small size and short focus throw, and that also allows it to be pretty quiet.

The other two lenses will be simple to match for Pentax - the DA18-55 and DA50-200 are as good if not better for no more money than what you presumably paid for the Nikon equivalents.
05-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all
05-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
really like manual lenses I have Pentax film cameras and nice lenses
Those marketplace ads can be really tempting.

QuoteQuote:
And I really like the look and feature set of the K-X, though I am anxious for a 3rd party battery grip to come out .. I wonder if it will?
The problem is that the K-x doesn't have enough external connections to make a grip very useful. It would be difficult to get a working shutter button. The market must be there, because there's way more K-xs than K-7s.

In the Pentax system, 35mm is a difficult focal length. I really like the FA 35mm f2 but it's not cheap. I would suggest the F or FA 28mm f2.8, which might work well with the DA40.
05-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I'm not fussy and I'm sure a 28mm lens would be close enough to the 35mm I am used to. I can dig a good old "nifty fifty" too
05-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The white K-X do not come in kit