Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
did you mean the Nikon hood fits the 55-300DAL? if so by the bayonet fitting or is it a screw into the filter threads one?
Alistair
no i'm talking about 52mm filter thread odd ultra wides or telephoto with nikon metal screw on hood. BTW, they are nice f-king hoods.

06-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The window is so that when there is water inside the hood it will drain downwards..so point the window downwards..LOL!

Another I have heard before was the window is there so you can easily smear vaseline on the lens wth your finger for that soft focus, dreamy effect..
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote

Another I have heard before was the window is there so you can easily smear vaseline on the lens wth your finger for that soft focus, dreamy effect..
That is so 1974!!!
06-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The window is so that when there is water inside the hood it will drain downwards..so point the window downwards..LOL!

Water is no problem, I have the weather proof lenses, and my K-x can do a soft focus, so no need for vaseline either.

06-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That is so 1974!!!
Haha..Ira, it seems like you know it first hand since you even have an era for it!
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Another reason is that so that it will be something to drive you nuts if you lose the window cover!
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
clarkebd

I just picked up some lens hoods (finally) since they did not come with my pentax kit lens' from Adorama.

I opted to go with the rubber screw on ones for $5. I of course like the Pentax ones, but for $24 each I think is ridiculous for some plastic.

I'll see how these work, I can return them if I don't like working with them.

06-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
problem is I can't find a bayonet fit cheap one for the 55-300 only for the 18-55; plenty of screw thread ones, but not realy what I want due to stowage in the bag.
Alistair
Well, a nice custom-fit plastic one, especially with the door is nice, but honestly, I very rarely remove even bayonet hoods. (As an old Canon FD shooter, I rarely remove my stock hoods, except on my wide and my 100, cause they tend to want to be well out of the way most of the time, but for lenses I'm shooting with, I like to have a bag that can absorb any lens or any body in almost any combination by having the lens-front (and thus deployed hood) down, whether a camera is on there or not.

If you experiment with a scheme like this, you might find rigid hood happiness as well as a pocket full of caps every time you get home.
06-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #24

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a quick question! What size hood do you buy for the 18-55 k-x kit lens? B&H was out of stock on all of them when I ordered my camera, so I need to order from somewhere else.

Ah, just proof how clueless I am about all this stuff!
06-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a quick question! What size hood do you buy for the 18-55 k-x kit lens? B&H was out of stock on all of them when I ordered my camera, so I need to order from somewhere else.

52mm for a screw in. The Pentax branded bayonet that fits the 18-55s is the PH-RBA.
06-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #26

thanks!
06-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Also hoods provide better lens protection than filters.
06-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote

Search ebay for "Pentax PH-RBA 52mm hood" and you'll find inexpensive bayonet ones - they're knock-offs but good quality. I got one for $12.99 and it's reversible, and has snap-off door for polarizer.
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBirds Quote
Search ebay for "Pentax PH-RBA 52mm hood" and you'll find inexpensive bayonet ones - they're knock-offs but good quality. I got one for $12.99 and it's reversible, and has snap-off door for polarizer.
Have you got a ebay shop address for the hood you bought, I get nothing found if I search ebay for "Pentax PH-RBA 52mm hood?
Thanks
Alistair
06-11-2010, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Have you got a ebay shop address for the hood you bought, I get nothing found if I search ebay for "Pentax PH-RBA 52mm hood?
Thanks
Alistair
Sure you do - try this!

New and used Pentax PH-RBA 52mm hood, Cameras Photo on eBay.ca