Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Editing K-X pics (several ?'s)

I don't have the camera yet, (hurry UPS), but right now, I use Picasa to edit my photos. Does the software that comes with the K-X have an editing program in it? Does anybody know if it's similar to Picasa? I've looked around here and online and haven't seen any compatibility problems with Windows7. Has anybody here heard of any? Thanks.

05-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax dSLRs come with Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) that allows you to view and post-process your photographs.

I use PDCU because it is free and does what I need, but there are better (more expansive) softwares. I cannot comment on Picassa.
05-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GIPM is arguably the best free photo editor - it's quite similar to photoshop if you'd like advanced editing.
05-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hcc, Picasa is free, too which is why I use it. LOL! Adam, I have GIMP downloaded, too, but I honestly don't think I need that much advanced editing. I'll try the editor that comes with the camera and see how I like that. With the features on the camera, I"m hoping not to have to do much more editing than maybe cropping.

05-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

This might be getting away from the original question a bit but I like the Picasa for editing, you can do a lot more that people realize. It is a better program for managing your photo library than the software that comes with the camera.

I know Adam suggested GIMP which is about as powerful as PS, but the program I really like is PAINT.net. It is a open source program similar to Paint Shop Pro. It easier to use than GIMP and lets you do noise reduction and work with layers.
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Ed. I'll check out PAINT. I've tried to play with GIMP a few times, but I just wasn't getting it at all. I've got Picasa down pretty well and like you, I like the way my library is organized. I'm just trying to figure out which to use.