Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D & Inherited A lenses

I was trying to decide on my first DSLR and to a degree the ability to use older lenses helped me on going for the K20D. I have a 35mm Super Program my father owned, along with a Kiron 70-210mm f4 and Sigma 28-105mm F4-5.6 ( and the 1:1.7 50mm that came with the camera ). I am quite new to a camera such as the K20D and wonder if anyone here thinks these particular lenses are worth trying with this model. Any thoughts on set up would be much appreciated! ( do I set the f stop ring to A?) I have been searching for related threads and reading the manual of course but am wondering where to start - eg - full manual control or something else? I will probably buy the DA 16 - 45mm soon as a starting point for a newer lens. There sure is a lot to learn!

Last edited by Johnny5; 05-30-2010 at 11:51 PM.
05-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This those lenses feature 'A' aperture (the Super Program, a great camera in itself, supported this function), then they'll work normally in all exposure modes on your K20D, but with manual focus. If these lenses require manual setting of aperture, then they will work like M and K lenses. Please check the articles section for details on how to meter with those

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums.....

I use the K20 and its a wonderful camera. I have had it for a year and really have not found anything that it can not do.

There are a couple of postings on the Beginner's Corner that would help...In particular there are 2 "stickies" that contain a lot of information:I have the "A" 50mm f1.7 and it works just fine. I also have an FA lens, where by I need to push the little button and turn the aperture ring into the "A" position, along with setting to use the aperture ring in the menu (which I just leave set all the time - never need to change it, even with other lenses mounted).

Even though your lenses are manual, as you manually focus, the camera will indicate - with the little red squares in the viewfinder and the green diamond down on the indicator bar (in the viewfinder) when it thinks the scene is in focus.

The 16-45 is a wonderful lens. I have it and it is a very good match on the K20. The only thing to understand is that due to its size, when using the pop-up flash, it tends to leave a "nose shadow" at the bottom of the picture.

There does seem a lot to learn, but you pick it up quickly and it becomes second nature quite quickly....

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-31-2010 at 01:18 PM.
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Your certainly right on the fact that there really is much to learn! Oh, and thank you both for taking the time to steer me in the right direction. At the moment I have the Sigma 28-105mm attached but find the metering hit and miss so far. The f stop ring is set at "A" and this is where the learning starts as I found out. I will keep reading in the suggested threads and hopefully will manage to get a more balanced exposure, mostly they are on the overexposed end. I had the dial set on Av but am wondering what might be the best way to use the "A" series lenses. It is enough getting comfortable and competent with the K20D and then trying to figure out what software to use for downloading and editing the RAW files. Viewing the large number of great photographs that come up on various threads gives me hope that I might do as well! Thanks again for your help.

06-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Threre's no "best" way to use an "A" series lens. They can be used in all the same ways as more modern lenses - fully automatic Green ode, automatic-with-overrides "P" mode, semi-automatic Av, Tv, and other modes, or fully manual "M" mode. Just depends on which best fits the way you prefer to think about exposure.

Since this question was originally more about lenses than cameras, but is also very general, I'm moving it to the beginner's forum as a more appropriate place for further discussion about the basics of using your camera and these lenses.
06-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the Pentax SMC-A series is my favorite lens series. The focusing on these lenses is just phenomenal.

With a lot of these older lenses I'd suggest viewing your histogram after taking a picture and if one is constantly exposing in a certain way, just adjust the exposure compensation. My 50mm f/1.7 will generally stay at +1.0

I can't speak to the others as i've not used older sigma or kiron lenses.

One piece of advice, believe the SR setting for the zooms should be the longest focal length. Other than that, I shoot as I would any other lens, Start in program mode and change if the situation dictates that I change. Just leave the aperture ring in the "A" position and the camera has full control.