Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would echo what Marc says. You'd better make sure you get a kit lens along with your camera. You really need a lens that goes wider than 20 mm on a cropped sensor or you will feel continually frustrated.

Anyone of the cameras is decent. I personally would pick the used K20 of all the ones you mentioned. The kx is a nice camera, capable of shooting amazing high iso and may focus just a little bit faster, but in everything else the K20 is superior -- better viewfinder, feels better in my hands, grip available, etc.

Just my two cents.

06-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a Tokina RMC 17mm wide that goes for $70-80 bucks but that is manual focus fixed focal length and I believe you'll get better value for your dslr with kit zoom.
06-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
All I have is a film camera right now, and I can't quite afford a new digital yet, so I'll work with what I've got.
But that's exactly why I think it would be extraordinarily counterproductive *not* to get the kit lens. if you had the money to get a better replacement, then I wouldn't be recommending getting the kit lens anyhow. but it's precisely because you *won't* be getting a replacement that you really should have the kit lens. For practically *nothing*, you get a lens that will be *far* more generally useful than the lens you are proposing limiting yourself to. The 50 will have it's uses even on APS-C, to be sure, but if you skip the kit lens, you'll be missing out on the least expensive way to *greatly* expand the possibilities of what you can do.
06-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would look for either a used K10D or K20D. If you can find the latter within your buget, go with it, to my mind the K20D is a much better instrument than the K10D (tho the older camera isn't bad). I would also say that if your wallet says the choice is between the K10D with a lens and the K20D using your old FA 28-70mm f4.0, I'd use the old lens on the K20D. That lens isn't bad, it's only problem is that it sometimes doesn't get wide enough. It actually is rated fairly highly here. If you can spring for the "kit" 18-55 go for it. It really is a very good "bang for the buck" lens. I don't remember seeing it here often, but it regularly shows up used both at Adorama and at KEH. It does very well. However I do think that it's more important to get out shooting, and the FA 28-70mm F4.0 is a decent performing zoom.

NaCl(you can always get more lenses later, but getting out shooting is more important)H2O

06-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I definitely see everyone's point about getting the kit lens, I'd be a fool not to get it.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
(you can always get more lenses later, but getting out shooting is more important)
I totally agree, I just want to be shooting more often; what chokes me is the fact that I'm paying ~$5 every time I want to see the last 24 shots I took! Although I suppose it's teaching me to be more selective with my shots. I'll try and get some up in the film shots thread.
06-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
What lens would be a good upgrade from the 28-70, that wouldn't break the bank? Maybe the 35/2, which would translate well to digital?
06-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #22

I recently went through the same decision making process. I ended up going with a refurbished K100d from Best Buy. I got it at what feels to have been a good price at around $220. It is just the body, but I had two other lenses from my old 35mm Pentax SLR. They aren't the highest end for lenses, but in terms of re-learning the process of SLR shooting, they work and give me the necessities to practice with.

I must admit I was very nervous about purchasing a refurbished camera, but everthing came out fine. It was all in original packaging and my first picture with the camera showed the number of shutter actuations at 224. I had a friend who is very heavy into photography tell me that most if not all of those were probably test shots in the factory.

I have used the camera quite a bit and have really enjoyed how it handles. I recently caught a thread on here about a guy that has made several photography books. I don't recall his name right now, but he seems very knowledgable about what he does and I checked out a couple of the books from my local library this week.

The advice that I received and went with was do what feels right, but don't feel like you have to spend everything right away. Get something that you can learn with now, and upgrade later.

06-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the response SLCMatt. I am definitely looking for a used/refurb camera when I am able to upgrade, but you're right about learning first. Better to make sure that the passion is there before spending hundreds of dollars on a newer camera/lens! I just wish I didn't have to keep spending money on film/development. Maybe I'll just look for a lower-end Pentax DSLR that I can get cheap, just so I can spend more time shooting and refining my technique.
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SLCMatt Quote
I recently caught a thread on here about a guy that has made several photography books. I don't recall his name right now, but he seems very knowledgable about what he does and I checked out a couple of the books from my local library this week.
Let me know if you remember that guy's name, I'd appreciate it!
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #25

I just looked and Best Buy doesn't have the K100 refurb that I purchased any longer.

I don't know if you've watched the marketplace forum here but there were a few deals that I came close to buying. It's hit and miss based on when someone is ready to sell, but I saw some pretty good deals that made me think twice about my purchasing options. Here's a link to the forum:
Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

As far as the author of those books, I just found the thread and have included the link to that thread as well. The author is Bryan Peterson.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/100499-best-beg...-exposure.html
06-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, I think I'll check that book out, looks like something I could really use!