Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions for first DSLR??

As of right now I've got an MZ-7 film SLR w/ FA 28-70 f/4. The timeline I've got in mind is something like this: get a 50/1.4 in the next few months, and upgrade to a DSLR in the next year or so. I want to stay with Pentax, so I'm looking at the K-x as a "new" option, and also considering the K10D and K20D if I can find them used.

What I'm wondering is if there are any compelling reasons to go for the K-x instead of the olders cameras? I'm fairly new to photography, so I'm thinking maybe I don't really need a brand new camera yet, just something to learn on and upgrade later.

05-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same situiation as you . I decided to go K-X with the 2 lenses Kit. I have no regret. With the money save, I bought exrra lenses
05-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been researching the K-X all around the 'net and hear nothing but great reviews!

And all the colors to choose from :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5000  Photo 
05-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not all colors are available in North america. Again no kit with 2 lenses on any color except black

05-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm going to get a white one with a single kit lens I see them on eBay for $485 (US) shipped.

Now where did I put that $485 ???
05-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
As of right now I've got an MZ-7 film SLR w/ FA 28-70 f/4. The timeline I've got in mind is something like this: get a 50/1.4 in the next few months, and upgrade to a DSLR in the next year or so. I want to stay with Pentax, so I'm looking at the K-x as a "new" option, and also considering the K10D and K20D if I can find them used.

What I'm wondering is if there are any compelling reasons to go for the K-x instead of the olders cameras? I'm fairly new to photography, so I'm thinking maybe I don't really need a brand new camera yet, just something to learn on and upgrade later.
if used is an option, an ist DL is a big upgrade from MZ-7.
05-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can get used K10/20 that would me great intro to DSLR world.
Functionality of that body is just incredible, and good old K10 are still very capable of mind blowing results. If you need better high ISO go for K20.
With that type of body you are getting great ergonomics, 2 dials, great customization, good VF, weather seals, SDM support, SR, selectable AF points, very good battery life.... and you don't have to pay all that much

Personally, I'd pick used K10/20 over anything that Pentax currently offers new (well OK, I'd take 645D if I could but that's another story ). If you'll do, you will not regret...

05-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If you can get used K10/20 that would me great intro to DSLR world.
Functionality of that body is just incredible, and good old K10 are still very capable of mind blowing results. If you need better high ISO go for K20.
With that type of body you are getting great ergonomics, 2 dials, great customization, good VF, weather seals, SDM support, SR, selectable AF points, very good battery life.... and you don't have to pay all that much

Personally, I'd pick used K10/20 over anything that Pentax currently offers new (well OK, I'd take 645D if I could but that's another story ). If you'll do, you will not regret...
Yeah, the impression I get is that the K-x is newer, with a few better features, but overall the K10/20 are better cameras. Looks like used is the way to go, and I'd prefer just the body, I'd rather not get a kit lens.
05-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here were to see pricing for Canada

Products by Pentax - Canadian and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

Now for the K20, you are not at all in the same price range including used one
05-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I didn't realize the K20d was still selling for that much, unless I can find one cheaper in the Marketplace, K10d is looking more like it will fit in my budget.
05-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, the impression I get is that the K-x is newer, with a few better features, but overall the K10/20 are better cameras.
Right - the K-x is newer, but "entry level", and aside from marginally less noise at extremely high ISO (like 6400), it is inferior to the K20D is in virtually every other way.

QuoteQuote:
Looks like used is the way to go, and I'd prefer just the body, I'd rather not get a kit lens.
OK, but are you then prepared to shell out about as much as you just spend on the camera to get something else as wide? There is basically nothing else any better, new or used, for wide angle on an APS-C camera for less than several hundred dollars.
05-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, but are you then prepared to shell out about as much as you just spend on the camera to get something else as wide? There is basically nothing else any better, new or used, for wide angle on an APS-C camera for less than several hundred dollars.
I guess I have just heard a lot of "kit zoom" bashing, so I figured I'd slowly buy more lenses as I master each one, starting with a fast 50.
05-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I guess I have just heard a lot of "kit zoom" bashing, so I figured I'd slowly buy more lenses as I master each one, starting with a fast 50.
These were taken with a "kit zoom" DA 18-55mm AL II. Judge yourself

05-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I guess I have just heard a lot of "kit zoom" bashing
Sure, they're not as good as lenses costing hundreds more. But unless you plan to actually *spend* hundreds more on better lenses, you're *way* better off with "very good" (as opposed to "incredibly good") lens to cover a variety of focal lengths than with *no* lens to cover those focal lengths. Especially when that "very good" lens adds at most $50 to the price of the camera. Unless you already have a better lens to replace it, or plan to get one lwithin the first week of buying the camera, it would be *extremely* unwise not to simply get the kit lens.

QuoteQuote:
so I figured I'd slowly buy more lenses as I master each one, starting with a fast 50.
Why would you start with a short telephoto lens? That's a very odd choice. A "normal" focal length would be a more typical choice if you wish to restrict yourself to just one focal length. 50 was normal on FF, but for APS-C, somewhere around 35mm is. A 50 on APS-C is as I said a short telephoto lens - kind of nice for portraits and a few other specialized uses, but not something most people would recommend starting with. How many people did you ever hear of starting out with a 75mm lens for their film cameras?
05-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Why would you start with a short telephoto lens? That's a very odd choice. A "normal" focal length would be a more typical choice if you wish to restrict yourself to just one focal length. 50 was normal on FF, but for APS-C, somewhere around 35mm is. A 50 on APS-C is as I said a short telephoto lens - kind of nice for portraits and a few other specialized uses, but not something most people would recommend starting with. How many people did you ever hear of starting out with a 75mm lens for their film cameras?
All I have is a film camera right now, and I can't quite afford a new digital yet, so I'll work with what I've got.