Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax at retail stores?

I am trying to find a retail store in Metro Detroit that sells Pentax and so far no luck. I am liking the K-x kit with the 18-55 and 55-300. I would rather support a local shop but not opposed to reputable ( B&H, Adorama) online retailers. I would like to get one in my hands to see if I like it before I purchase but I am finding that difficult.

Is this a common problem with the lack of retail outlets with Pentax. It would be nice to be able to have face to face contact if I have problems, questions or need service. The only store that comes up on the Pentax find a retailer is a store that has been closed for over a year. I understand Canon and Nikon have a lot more resources for marketing (brainwashing), but why if this company's products are equal to or superior is there no market presence. Metro Detroit has 3.5 Million people and I can't find a store that has a Pentax DSRL. Does anybody know if a Pentax retailer in Metro Detroit exists?

06-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By going to Pentax's USA site, you can input your info and find a retail store. I found these two:

WOODWARD CAMERA INC
33501 Woodward Ave.
Birmingham, MI 48009-5127

ADRAY APPLIANCE & PHOTO
20219 Carlysle
Dearborn, MI 48124-3804

Since I didn't have your actual zip code, I used a generic that was on Detroit's official website. If you go to this url, you can add your personal zip code and maybe find a store closer to you:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/where-to-buy/
HTH
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
McG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Photolady

Thanks for looking, Adray appliance is closed and Woodward Camera doesn't sell Pentax Cameras ( might sell lenses and accessories, only asked them about camera). A couple local places said they could order one, but I would like to try before I buy.
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by McG Quote
Photolady

Thanks for looking, Adray appliance is closed and Woodward Camera doesn't sell Pentax Cameras ( might sell lenses and accessories, only asked them about camera). A couple local places said they could order one, but I would like to try before I buy.
I am wondering if this one store is closed why Pentax says they sell their cameras. Sorry I couldn't help further. Maybe some else would know.

06-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When I was living in Windsor I never did manage to find a store in Detroit that actually stocked K10d batteries - at the time the US price was less than half of Canadian retail.

Just over the border in Windsor Henry's, Blacks (at Devonshire Mall), and Windsor Photo Outfitters are all likely to have bodies in stock (Henry's almost guaranteed) but the prices will be dramatically higher than buying in the US even before the hassle of international warranties and getting back and forth over the border. If you happen to be on the Canadian side for other reasons and just want to play with the body and 2 lens kit, give the Henry's a call.

Welcome to Henry's - Photo Video Digital - Store Locations - Windsor

$850 CAD + 13% tax for the body and 2 lens kit vs. ~$730 from B&H
06-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Why not buy one from authorized dealers on ebay. The price will be cheaper and you probably won't need to pay tax.
06-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The OP wants to test the camera out before buying which is reasonable.
But not always possible.
I didn't and am quite happy with my purchase. I think many on this forum may have purchased a camera or two that way. Either through Ebay, PF marketplace or another way.

To the OP, couldn't you go to a box store to actually handle the camera and then order from elsewhere?
Just a thought.
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
McG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Box Store only has Pentax online. Thinking I might have to order online and take my chances. It sounds like a business opportunity for someone in Metro Detroit to be a Pentax dealer. Hard to believe that Pentax has this kind of following (good products and reviews) but hardly any market share or presence. Is this like the best kept secret for photography that the masses don't know about?

06-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I am wondering if this one store is closed why Pentax says they sell their cameras. Sorry I couldn't help further. Maybe some else would know.
Simple. Their information is out of date.
06-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
McG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Called Pentax Imaging in Colorado today and got some answers. The main reason Pentax is not in many retailers is that they changed there marketing approach. They wanted retailers to invest more in product, $100,000 was his example. That might scare off the small stores and the box stores go with the big names to move product. He also said that the field a lot of calls about the K-X and optio w90 and when the economy gets better they would look at changing there marketing approach.

He answered a couple other questions and was very helpful. So far the customer service is good. I will probably order online, no other choice. I'm sure I will like the K-X kit.
06-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I stopped in a little camera store in town last week and asked if they carried any Pentax gear. Got a strange look and then a rather lengthy lecture on how Pentax had done all of the independent camera stores wrong. Man there claimed to have been a major Pentax dealer at one time but when they changed their marketing he dropped them entirely.

I tried another store across town, a very nice, very large and professional store with lots of customers and traffic. When I asked about Pentax the owner snorted and said "not any more". He gave me the name of another store rumored to carry some Pentax used equipment but I have not gotten there yet.
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
McG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I guess I don't need to worry about finding a retailer since I purchased a one month old K-X with 18-55 DAL for a good price. Would of liked to get the kit with the 55-300, but with the money saved I can hunt for a lens. It's official, I'm in.
06-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Feel the Same

I'm from the Pgh Pa area and nobody around here has any Pentax gear I'm told it does not sell enough. Even my local camera shop which is like a 2nd home to me everything is Nikon or Canon lots of old film gear though still a great store. great Site