Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1

External flash help?!

I have a Pentax K200D and I recently got an external flash. The piece that connects the flash to the camera broke. I think the piece may be called the foot. I'm not sure. I'm new to the whole flash idea. I was just wondering if anone knows how I can get it replaced. I took it to Ritz Camera and they said it would probably cost more to repair than to buy a new flash. Any ideas on where I can just buy the specific part I need? I think I can replace it myself. Thanks!

06-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know what brand flash that it. I had the same problem with my Pentax 360 flash. The part was $6 from Pentax but I had to get the service manual and order the part. The repair was actually quite complicated as there aren't that many parts but all those little pins have to be desodered and resodered as well as put in a particular way. I'm not sure I'd do it again.

If it were me, I'd have it repair cost estimated before I decided to toss it. If a new flash is $200+ and the repair was less than that, I'd get it repaired. It's like a $6 part and an hour of work for a skilled guy. It took me a half a day to fuss with it.

I can't find it now but Peter Zack on this site had a really good thread on doing this for a Pentax 360 flash. Lots of pictures. BTW if you do this, take detailed pictures of the disassembly - it will help a great deal later.

Oh, you can get part by first contacting Pentax in Colorado from their website info.
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Have you used this flash yet on the DSLR?

That might be a flash for a FILM camera, with a different voltage than a DSLR can handle.

WHAT'S THE MODEL NAME AND # OF THE FLASH!?
06-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Have you used this flash yet on the DSLR?

That might be a flash for a FILM camera, with a different voltage than a DSLR can handle.

WHAT'S THE MODEL NAME AND # OF THE FLASH!?

It "looks like" a Sakar or Digital Concepts 952 AF.

If that is the case then it could still be used off camera as a wireless slave as long as its only the plastis mount broken and none of the pins are shorted.

Repair it? up to you ..... but you could just buy another one for about $110 and then you could have 2 strobes, and get a bit creative with them.
(see Strobist blogpost Lighting 101)

I think i could earn $110 in less time that it would take me to repair it, but I am a bit ham fisted with a soldering iron.

06-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
It is a Digital Concepts 952 AF. Thank you so much for you help. I think I will just buy a new one. I don't think I could fix it myself and it would probably be easier to just buy a new one.

Steve1307- thanks for the strobe idea, I think I will do that.
06-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
rkt

I would second using it off camera as well ... this ways, even if the repairs are too costly to opt for ... you still get to keep it and use it ... and with more creative control ...
06-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Now I am just trying to decide which new flash to buy! There are so many to choose from. I think I might try the Sigma EF 530. Anyone have one of these?

(The Pentax flashes are just a bit too expensive for me, well my husband really )
06-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When I was considering flashes in Oct 2009, I was considering either the Sigma EF 530 or the Metz 48. Similar price range, but I think I went with the Metz because it had more features.

06-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks. I will look up the Metz 48 and compare.
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi a_brooke2006

Look like the contacts are still intact. You can get some old used Pentax-type flash and use the foot for that, just a thought . And use it off camera for sure just like others mentioned .

I do have a Pentax 360FGZ , used, for sale . Also don't forget to check out the Promaster 7500 EDF . Very good flash . Thanks.

Tran

PS Check the martket forum