Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Helios 44m-7 can't infinity focus. Fixable???

I just got a Helios 44m-7 m42 mount. Using cheap m42 adapter. The lense reaches the infinity mark but doesn't actually work. Any ideas for a solution? I've read threads about it but I didn't see a solution. I love the lense otherwise.

06-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll need a genuine Pentax adapter without the protruding flap. Otherwise, no lenses will be able to go to infinity. See here: Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax Mount Adapter K (M Screwmount to Bayonet) Lens Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.
06-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup! You might be using an M-42 adapter with a flange.
The flange doesn't let you focus to infinity.
You will have to use something like the Pentax genuine adapter or get the OEM adapter itself.
1st pix is flange type (doesn't allow you to focus to infinity)
2nd pix is one that lets you focus to infinity (from Hin's site:Google Image Result for http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/hinioman/misc_4sale_3/IMGP4515.jpg)
3rd is how it would look mounted to the body. (photo taken form this site: Google Image Result for http://www.vn-trip.com/blogtest/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/K10D_M42_Genuine_Adapter_On.jpg)

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
I just got a Helios 44m-7 m42 mount. Using cheap m42 adapter. The lense reaches the infinity mark but doesn't actually work. Any ideas for a solution? I've read threads about it but I didn't see a solution. I love the lense otherwise.
once you get the right adapter you should be all set.
say, do you know you may need to disable the aperture pin (if it hasnt already been done) to allow stopping down beyond f/2? easy to do and a few posts in here about the procedure.

i recently got the 44M-7 and find it to be a great and ultra sharp lens, certainly different from the 44-2 which i also love.

have fun