Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

silly question - using flash off camera

I have an AF-280T and a K100DS - love both to death and have been having a lot of fun with the flash, however, I want to be start using it off-camera. After seeing this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/104146-wanted-pentax-p-ka-mo...80t-flash.html (specifically the second picture in the thread), it got me wanting it more :-) What inexpensive (wired and wireless) options do I have; or am I limited with this setup??

06-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a set of cheap chinese made wireless triggers with my 280. You would be shooting in completely manual mode while manually setting the flash power as well. Otherwise it works quite well.
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Lots of information here on wireless:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/31950-those-con...lashwaves.html
06-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi eclipsed450,

With this camera/flash combination, you have a number of options.

1. Find a used hotshoe to hotshoe cord. This can be "dedicated" to any brand (except Minolta/Sony which have a proprietary hotshoe design) or none. All you need is the center contact and the rails of the shoe which act as the ground. I found one for a Nikon that has a lightweight coiled cord, and got it for $5 from the used bin at an old-time camera store.

2. Get a Pentax dedicated P-TTL compatible hotshoe to hotshoe cord. These will cost @ $30, but will give you full P-TTL compatibility to a flash that is also P-TTL compatible, if you choose to get one in the future. Pentax also makes a setup, but it's 3 separate pieces (choice of "F" or "FG" Hotshoe adapter, 5P or 5PL cord, and "F" off camera hotshoe adapter) -- these are considerably more expensive, but you have some options (cord length and whether or not you can also affix another flash [or cord] on the camera's hotshoe)

3. Get a set of Radio triggers as mentioned.

4. Get a "digital" optical slave trigger that will ignore the preflash of your popup flash with your DA lenses, and can be switched to a standard optical slave trigger (fires the remote flash on the first flash) with you fully manual lens. These optical slave triggers sense infra red, so if you don't want the popup flash to contribute light to the exposure, you can use a piece of exposed and developed color film (the black part of the film leader to cover the popup, and it will pass enough IR to fire the slave trigger.

You can use the AF 280T in either manual or Auto mode with any of these setups, but only the P-TTL hs to hs cord will give you full P-TTL automation with a capable flash as the remote.

Scott

06-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Not sure what qualifies as inexpensive to you, but I highly recommend cybersyncs. They have the reliablity of pocket wizards at a significantly lower price point, and Paul Buff's service is legendary.
07-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sorry for the delay in response, been a CRAZY couple months for me :-/ I appreciate the responses and suggestions. I was wondering if this would work: ebay link
i see some pentax flashes listed, but not mine. i don't the manual nature, i feel it helps me to learn things, but i also want to be able to use the flash off camera to help control the angle of the light. thanks again everyone
07-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've got one of those. Not that exact one, but similar. There should be no reason that it wouldn't work, but you won't be able to use your camera's TTL / PTTL. You'll have to do everything somewhat manually. I think that flash has it's own flash strength system, so you may be OK, and not have to worry about anything else.
07-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I've got one of those. Not that exact one, but similar. There should be no reason that it wouldn't work, but you won't be able to use your camera's TTL / PTTL. You'll have to do everything somewhat manually. I think that flash has it's own flash strength system, so you may be OK, and not have to worry about anything else.
thanks, yeah, i don't care about pttl and all that, i just really want to be able to use it off the camera..

anyone else have this exact setup??? i know it's only $15, but i don't want to fry my flash or camera....

08-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
What inexpensive (wired and wireless) options do I have; or am I limited with this setup??
Congratulations on wanting to get your camera off the flash.

Can the flash you've got be triggered optically (wirelessly) with the Pentax optical triggering system? If it can, then I would suggest you save some money and give that a try first. Read the manual (ask here if you get lost). Configure your camera's pop-up flash to be the controller; and put the independent flash unit into slave mode. Optical triggering doesn't work well in bright light, and can't work around corners. But it's free, and actually when it can work, it works very nicely.

If the AF-280T cannot be triggered optically, well, then you will either (a) have to buy a new, better flash and/or (b) buy some radio triggers. Well, there might be an option (c) that involves physical wiring, but I have to confess I have never done that so I don't know anything about it.

Anyway, before you place an order for FlashWaves, you might consider getting a better flash unit, like the Pentax AF-360 or one of the Sigma options which are reported to be quite good. That will cost you about what the most basic radio trigger setup would cost, and the AF-360 can certainly be optically triggered by your K100d's built-in flash. And now you'd have two flash units which would be worth more than have 1 flash unit and some radio triggers, at least in my opinion.

Will
08-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cactus Triggers from Midwest Photo Exchange Specializing in Off Camera Lighting, New and Used Photographic Cameras, Lighting, Printers, Medium and Large Format

And a Sekonic L358 meter. With an extra transmitter, I can actually fire the flash from the meter
08-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks, yeah, i don't care about pttl and all that, i just really want to be able to use it off the camera..

anyone else have this exact setup??? i know it's only $15, but i don't want to fry my flash or camera....
I have a set of the PT 04 transmitter/receiver and have used it a number of times with my K10 and probably three different flash units. I think they work well up to certain distance and for more than one flash at the same time. I usually remove the batteries of the receiver if it will not be used for more than a week.
10-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just wanted to let anyone wondering know that this setup seems to work great - but as said, there's no TTL. i ordered it a couple weeks ago (via ebay, from hong kong) and just received. it works as expected, but the only problem is it's size restricts the on-camera flash from popping up, so i'm trying to rig something to use be able to use both - wish me luck :-)
10-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

just wanted to let anyone wondering know that this setup seems to work great - but as said, there's no TTL. i ordered it a couple weeks ago (via ebay, from hong kong) and just received. it works as expected, but the only problem is it's size restricts the on-camera flash from popping up, so i'm trying to rig something to use be able to use both - wish me luck :-)
If you got the radio triggers, then I wouldn't even bother with the pop up flash. I never do if I'm going wireless. (Not that I do it alot)
10-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
If you got the radio triggers, then I wouldn't even bother with the pop up flash. I never do if I'm going wireless. (Not that I do it alot)
it's more for play - i put the af280 behind me and pointed it at the wall, and took a picture of myself, but couldn't get enough light for me, so i figured, instead of buy another flash, just use the one i have - though i'll need to diffuse it for portraits...i'm almost done - but i think i'll need to buy another trigger since i sort of mangled this one to get it to fit right...at least i know it worked