Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Beach

Hey all. I'm heading to the beach for vacation very soon and was curious as what precautions to take or filters to get before heading there. Thanks.

06-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, the only time I take my DSLR to the beach is when I am on a stroll. If I am there to stay for the day, I prefer to take my old P&S with me, so that if it gets stolen, it won't be as much an issue.

Does the camera you have already have weather sealing? What model is it?
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A polarizing filter is a good item to have in the bag .....cuts down on reflections from the water and adds blue to the sky too....

As for precautions...watch out for blowing sand if its windy. Be careful changing lenses in that kind of environment. I try not to change lenses, or open the memory card door, battery door etc until I get back to a better location.

And if you wade into the water with your camera, be careful.....I've seen folks fall over and "splash" goes the camera. That will put a damper on things.....water resistant is NOT waterproof.

Finally, post some pics....beaches are full of opportunity.
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Definitely take it, just take some simple precautions.

I took my K-x to the beach once and got some of the best photos of my whole holiday. I just kept it in a plastic bag when not using it, didn’t change lenses and had a prime on it as a zoom presents more opportunities for sand/salt to get in. Shooting at the beach meant shutter speeds of 1/1000+, it was fantastic, some of the sharpest shots I’ve ever taken. Next time I do it I’ll get a polarizing filter though.

Last edited by twitch; 06-10-2010 at 10:08 PM.
06-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Polarizing filter is a must, especially if you want to take pics of people in the ocean. Leave either a 35mm or 50mm on and do not remove the lens.

Just use common sense when out and about and your camera should be fine.
06-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you don't have polarizing filter then at least an UV filter to protect the front element of the lens (and easier to clean) . Either 18-250mm or 28-300mm is what I'd like to take to the beach so I can go from wide to tele to wide without changing lenses.

With Tamron 28-300

06-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
Forum Member

Just got back from the beach. The only times I took the KX was to shoot a sunrise and to try some shots of a full moon. During the day I just took my P&S. The KX was too much potential trouble with 2 small kids, beach stuff, toys, etc.

06-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #8

Not sure what beach you are heading to, but if it is one of the Gulf beaches off Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, or Florida you might want to consider water filters, air filters, oil filters, and let's not forget dispersants.
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Not sure what beach you are heading to, but if it is one of the Gulf beaches off Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, or Florida you might want to consider water filters, air filters, oil filters, and let's not forget dispersants.
And if you wear a suit, don't forget to stock up on excuses.

But I digress. I've lived and played and photographed in the Mohave Desert and on the Sonoma County beaches north of San Francisco, and I consider those beaches the harsher environment. Both are dry and sandy and windy, but the beaches are often windier, driving droplets and particulates and salt into every crack and crevasse. Beaches around Los Angeles seem milder mainly because there's less wind IIRC. I'm about to depart on a long western-USA tenting trip, mostly in desert and mountains, and I'll take no special measures. But I'll want a WR lens before I take my K20D onto the dunes at Bodega Bay or the mouth of the Russian River.
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Forum Member

Beach Photos

I live in Ocean City, Md and have taken some wonderful beach photos. Most of my cautions are to use common sense and a polarizing filter. If you plan to be at the beach the entire day, leave your good camera home. But if you can bring it with you for an hour by all means take it with you. As recommended by others, don't change your lens on the beach and don't leave it in the sun for more than a few minutes. If you are on the East Coast get up for sunrise and take some marvelous photos; on the West Coast it is sunsets to take.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Ed
06-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't remove the lens (kit 18-55) and don't use any filters. The K20 renders colors just as they appear to your eye.
Attached Images

06-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your going to the Ocean and not a lake make sure you have a lens that you don't have to change so the salt air stays out of your camera. Also I'd shoot with the 18-55 in raw so you can adjust your colors easier, or the 18-250 & sun shield,, and still shoot raw.
I live at the Ocean so the salt air is around my house 24-7.. I never change my lenses outside.
06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I go to the car, close all doors and windows, and change lenses / memory cards / batteries there.
06-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys! If I do go for a polarizer does it really matter between a multi-coated and one that isn't?