Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto focus K-X

Hello!

I bought yesterday my first DSLR a K-X one!

But i have some problems in taking photos in auto focus, during the first hour of experimenting...
I click the button a bit to autofocus, but i dont know how to press it in order to take a photo when i want it to...

What's the trick here?

Thank you!

06-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
Hello!

I bought yesterday my first DSLR a K-X one!

But i have some problems in taking photos in auto focus, during the first hour of experimenting...
I click the button a bit to autofocus, but i dont know how to press it in order to take a photo when i want it to...

What's the trick here?

Thank you!
As you aim at your subject, simply press the shutter halfway until you see the hexagon light up and hear the beep. Then finish pressing the shutter in a smooth motion.
06-11-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
ok thanks...

maybe i was overexcited and couldn't press it properly....

Will try again tonight.
06-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm far from a pro, but I've also found from using my new K-x you have to give it a quick second to focus, it does it fast, and if the status display has blanked out you often have to press a button (any button) to bring it back to life before it will shoot at all. I've lost a couple of shots by forgetting that...

The beep is high pitch and pretty quiet, I had to get accustomed to it before I realized what it was. At first it sounded a bit like a cricket or distant bird chirping, now I recognize it and know what to listen for.

06-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Another important point:

The auto focus will confirm with the beep and hexagon before you see the hand icon indicating that shake reduction has activated for the shot. So not only is SR not activated before you see that hand, it could make your focus WORSE than if you didn't have SR turned on in the first place.

If this bothers you, disable SR.

I love my Kx, but believe me--in bright sunlight, seeing what's going on with the indicators at the bottom of its viewfinder is a real pain. So I just give myself an extra half of a second before pulling the trigger and assume I've waited long enough for SR to kick in.

My next project is to shoot for a few weeks without it, and see if it's worth bothering with for decent shutter speeds in the first place.
06-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Yeah, sometimes, the lens that comes with it is hard to focus. it keeps trying to focus... try changing the focus point...
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Another important point:

The auto focus will confirm with the beep and hexagon before you see the hand icon indicating that shake reduction has activated for the shot. So not only is SR not activated before you see that hand, it could make your focus WORSE than if you didn't have SR turned on in the first place...
Ira: why is it that the focus is worse than not having it on at all?
06-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On page 112 of the manual it says "
You can choose between from AF.S (single mode) where the shutter release button is pressed halfway to focus on the subject and the focus is locked at that position, AF.C (continuous mode) where the subject is kept in focus by continuous adjustment while the shutter release button is pressed halfway, and AF.A (Auto) which automatically switches between AF.S and AF.c. The default is AF.A." Hope that helps a bit.

06-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Ira: why is it that the focus is worse than not having it on at all?
It's not focus that is effected. But your picture becomes blurry as the camera is still trying to stabilize the sensor while the hand is not there; that is not the case when you do not use SR.
06-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
Last night my wife had an issue again with focus...

The room was relatively dark and she was just trying to get some photos here and there as we were sitting on the couch.

She was half pressing the shutter, the the lens was going out and in. But when she fully pressed it, nothing happened.
And this was going for a minute or two...

I don't know what made it to do that...

06-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
Inactive Account

same thing happens to me. I'm noob, but i have 5 months experience with DA-L lenses. These lenses are really loud when focusing too. Fekish, idk if this will help from a noob, i think fixing the focal point would help, but when that happens to me, i just quickly switch my camera to Manual Focus. Instead of fighting with it, i just worked with it.
06-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #12

I guess it's because the focus could not get locked. You need to hear the "beep", otherwise the camera will not shoot the pciture. If it happens again, try to manually open the flash. (Strange that the flash didn't automatically poped up)
06-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It's not focus that is effected. But your picture becomes blurry as the camera is still trying to stabilize the sensor while the hand is not there; that is not the case when you do not use SR.
Yep--better stated.
06-16-2010, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Naffe Quote
I guess it's because the focus could not get locked. You need to hear the "beep", otherwise the camera will not shoot the pciture. If it happens again, try to manually open the flash. (Strange that the flash didn't automatically poped up)
The flash is probably set NOT to pop up--that's how I have it. It's a user setting.

These cams don't do great in really low light, but here's a rule--or if not a rule, at least something to keep in mind:

If it's so dark that you yourself can't visually see/confirm that it's close to focus, the AF system is going to have a problem with it as well. However, I think if you use the camera's on board flash, it fires a pre-flash blast to help the AF.

Not sure, because I hardly ever use the flash and I manually focus.
06-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I hardly, well, never actually use the flash and only lately have been using AF, but the other night I did, and it did this:

QuoteQuote:
Posted by Ira......it fires a pre-flash blast to help the AF.
Thanks for that. Because I thought what the heck is this camera doing now...is my camera broken?