Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Stopping water

I had the opportunity to shoot some dogs doing diving into a pool. Most of my shots came out OK, but most / all of the "action" shots of the dogs actually jumping into the water, just didn't have the water freeze as I've seen in some other pictures. A lot of the shots the shutter speed was around 1/2000, but still it lacked that look that I've seen in other pictures. Would this have been a situation where I should have considered using flash even though it was in the middle of the day? Input / sample pics would be appreciated. I've included one of the better splash shots I got, but just not what I was hoping for. First if out of camera, second is 100% crop. K7 with 55mm 1.8 Tak. Most shots around F4.

06-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming that there was no splashing on the lense, I believe that the blur is mostly splash and droplets that are slightly out of focus. Lighting is playing some tricks also.

The crop of the dog head suggests further that the dog and splash are not really in focus. This may be a problme with other parts of the shot.

I take a lot of photos of fountains, running waters, splashes. With splashing waters, I tend to use manual focus to ensure that the camera is focused on the correct area.

An example of splashing with manual focus:

K7 + Nokton 58mm, f2.5, 1/180s, ISO100

Hope that the comments will help...
06-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Can you point us to a photo that is as what you're trying to achieve (somewhere on the web)? Except for it being slightly OOF as indicated by hcc, I don't see what is wrong with the picture.

Flash will force the camera to shutterspeeds of 1/180sec and slower (unless you use HSS), so you will get less freeze and a more 'milky' effect.
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The water drops may be somewhat out of focus, but they also quite overexposed, and that's killing detail too.

06-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I take a lot of photos of rowing competitions as my daughter competed in the sport through high school and college. A lot of oars in the water and a lot of splash at times, although splash indicates that the rowers stroke is "off". If my focus and exposure was right on, oar splash will look sharp and frozen at 1/250. I kind of liked the look from an artistic standpoint but the girls hated the "splash" shots because it showed their form was off and I began trying to shoot at slower speeds. The first 2 were shot at 1/15 and 1/30 ( from a moving boat alongside) and the third with the "frozen" splash at 1/350.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.
06-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

What ISO were you at?

I shot something similar in Tv mode, but I set to a fixed 400 ISO, even though there was bright sunlight, so I would get smaller apertures for the better depth of field. And the 1/4000th shutter speed assured freezing the action.

A little underexposed, but the theory is still there:

06-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. ISO was at 800. I have to agree that I think my focus was off. I may have been better to close down the aperture to get greater DOF, as it was hard to predict where the dogs were going to jump. I hope I get the opportunity to shoot something like this again so I can try to hone my skills.
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

To "stop water".........just close the faucet???