Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Reducing/compressing images after taking

I have read thru the manual and another terrific K20D ebook I bought, and can't figure out if there's a way to reduce the quality (image size) of my pictures after I have taken them. i am having a problem uploading my images to a real estate site, which is kicking the images back as too big. (I shot in the highest quality image.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Eleanor

06-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll want to change the resolution for the web shots- something around 800-1000 pixels wide is typical for 'large' web images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shinhopple Quote
I have read thru the manual and another terrific K20D ebook I bought, and can't figure out if there's a way to reduce the quality (image size) of my pictures after I have taken them. i am having a problem uploading my images to a real estate site, which is kicking the images back as too big. (I shot in the highest quality image.)
Eleanor
Just about any photo editor will let you resize an image (look under the Edit menu.)

Google's Picasa is free, as is FastStone.
FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
06-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I will give FastStone another vote of confidence. It is a free download and not only with it squish your files to any size you want, but current versions have some pretty fun editing tools. I will often take my (pictures) files, maybe do a few edits with Picasa, resize them to 50% for faster uploading to flickr or Facebook and then post the most horrible of the images here using flickr links.

06-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shinhopple Quote
Eleanor
down load shrink pic it will allow to shrink images in several ways and if you want it to always comes up when you attach images to a email like when you want to send to your real estate site.
Shrink Pic - Free photo resizer for email, IM, blogging and web galleries
regards
Alistair
06-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I use Picasa and it is quite easy. I upload all my pictures from Picasa simply because it is so easy. As soon as you click on export, a box pops up which gives you the compression options. Can't get any easier than that.